v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
*edit I just saw that we are migrating, hopefully this idea can migrate too haha.

I have been discussing this possibility with other players at A&A.org, and floating some thoughts with Barney and Baron especially on how we could use the built in tech system of tripleA, to serve as a "House Rules" editor for various maps.

The concept is for a gamefile that nixes the default techs for G40 or v3 tech option for 1942.2, and replaces them with special rules that can be toggled on and off. Offering a rules chart essentially. It gives us a way to turn tech into a kind of backdoor Game Options menu, specific to a given map. Players "auto-tech" or option on, only those features they want to use.
This is how I described it over there...

"The idea is to replace the game's built in tech system (which is largely unpopular and rarely used anyway) by a standard HR system. Essentially it is a way to make an "a la carte" menu of optional rules that are unlocked via Edit Mode, and then assigning the "techs" = new rule, from the drop down screen. Basically the active rules are assigned to all players via a quick auto-tech edit, so it can all be adjusted easily on the fly once the game is launched. You pick and choose the HRs you want to use in that game from the grab bag. Think of each "tech" as a toggle that can be turned "on/off" on an individual basis. My thought is that we could make one of these for each of the standard games, so...

1942.2 v5 Redesign
1941 v6 Redesign
Global 1940 Redesign

Some things that we make available using this method of tech replacement...

-Tactical Bombers or Mech in 1942.2, or Artillery and Cruisers in 1941.

-Medium Factory for G40, or Scorched Earth factories  (autodestroyed)

-AAA fire for Battleships and Cruisers.

- Marines or Battleships that can transport 1 infantry.

-1 Role bombers at C5 (with the various dogfighting values.)

- Airbases +2

- M3 naval units

- New Sub/Destroyer interactions

- Alternate cost structures, such as for naval or air units.

-Rail bases or military outposts

- 2 Hit units, such as heavy tanks, or bombers or whatever. Or a way to use the G40 2 hit carrier in 1942.2, things of that sort.

-Warbonds for All
Etc.

In addition to these, or other like rules which could be hacked in using the tech method, we could also use the game notes to describe how to do other things via the edit mode. For example...

American Zero Turn 1942.2, or Chinese Zero turn, or Anzac Zero Turn in G40 (restricted opening.)

Create the Commonwealth, or different UK economies, by editing territory ownership and starting cash.

Ways to use a different capital capture dynamic, or provide standard VC bonuses, or introduce alternative liberation rules, via edit mode.

In other words, all purpose gamefiles that play as OOB (no tech) by default, but which contain within them the tools and instructions necessary for using popular HRs via the tech menu and Edit mode.

We can start with the basic files, and update them with more material as time goes on. But this way everyone would be on the same page. They'd have access to the same "players handbook" with established popular options, easily described/referenced in the game notes.

I think these would instantly eclipse the OOB game files in popularity, since they would give you a built-in way to mod the game on the fly with your favorite optional rules."

So my thought about introducing units into a given map via the tech menu, might work like this.

Each game v5, v6, global, could have extra slots in the purchase menu. These have invisible units (with a cost outside of the purchase range, like say 1000 PUs) so in OOB terms they are just generic "blank slots" in the purchase roster.

When a given invsibile unit is "unlocked" via the tech edit, it is then upgraded to the desired unit, and enters the purchase options with a graphic taking over one of the former blank spots.

Using this method it would be easy to backload popular G40 units into the simpler v5 map, or do the same for v6.
Special units, not present in the OOB games could also be introduced using such a scheme.

Basically it would give us a way to create a set of commonly requested and easily accessible HR tweaks. These could be used on any map, where you are willing to give up the default tech, to get a rule expansion/mini-roster editor instead.

Re: v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

prastle
Administrator
Cernel's version of advanced tech v3 41 had a massive selection list including pick tech.  Sadly it hasn't been added to new lobby.  Your ideas should be possible.

Re: v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

beelee
prastle do you know where to find Cernel's xml or map ?

Re: v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

prastle
Administrator
ask cernel to upload or update it.  I have a copy but its his baby i would sug ask him.

I have uploaded a copy to your post in new warclub/forum for ya :) tho

Re: v5, v6, Global idea for a "Rules editor" using the tech system

beelee
just saw that. Thanks Bunch !!! Keep a few less knots on my forehead I imagine :)