oi stop touching that.

squid_daddy
it would seem I am incapable of playing triplea without fixing bugs i find.

have posted a quick patch or two for the AI.

anyone know of any glaring errors it makes (specific situations, savefiles would be better)
now would be the time to reply to this thread, and see how much I can be forced to do before I get bored again.

Re: oi stop touching that.

i feel the same way,
currently i spend more time reading the code and attempting to fix stuff or add new features then actually play triplea
but... i feel like it is more fun...

i'll have a look at your patches,

Re: oi stop touching that.

You've fallen for my evil trap... ..

I hardly ever actually play the game anymore.  I end up just playing snippets surrounding bugs.  Actually, in the last year, my computer has played more full games than me- I occasionally set up an all AI game to monitor memory usage and game freezes.

Re: oi stop touching that.

nolesfan1
ahh the burdens of an open source game ;) thx for all the hard work guys and merry xmas

Re: oi stop touching that.

douglyfresh
squid_daddy,

In a couple runs of svn 2832 (WW2v3 1942) I'm seeing that plane movement bug you mentioned in another post.  Is there an easy fix for that?  I mean the one where planes involved in naval combat often can't move during the non-combat phase, and must crash.

I've also noticed that the Moore AI now seems to make even stranger naval purchases, such as lots of subs and capital ships for allies, and not much in the way of transports.  And when the AI finally does buy transports, it tends to place them in unprotected locations.

I better go check and see if there's a newer update...

Re: oi stop touching that.

douglyfresh
oh drat.  I was 9 revisions behind.

Re: oi stop touching that.

squid_daddy
assuming kev hasn't cleaned it up by the time you read this.

I believe you can fix it by doing the following (I didn't bother doing and testing. since someone is modifying this stuff best to leave it to them)

in MustFightBattle.java
method checkUndefendedTransports
approx line 2223

comment out the lines

                Change change =DelegateFinder.moveDelegate(m_data).markNoMovementChange(enemyUnits);
                bridge.addChange(change);

your game should still function fine.
in case you're not sure, when you want to undo this change or update to a new revision
you should first revert, its in right click menu if you have tortoiseSVN

about the AI naval behaviour I cannot comment really. except to say purchasing was finessed recently.
and because the checking for naval action is fairly arbitrary it will work much better on some maps than others.
for example america may play well when the atlantic is 2 zones wide, and fail completely when it is 3.

For my part I do intend to eventually look at the actual algorithms. up until now I am simply trying to remove errors. its hard to improve the AI when it isn't even doing what it says it does.

Re: oi stop touching that.

actually doug, the ai never purchases many transports and rarely leaves ships behind to defend the newly purchased transports

this is the same in 1.2.5.5 and in the latest svn, as I haven't touched that part of the code (that part of the code makes no sense to me)

however, in the latest svn, you should see much much fewer purchases of submarine units, and also fewer purchases of zero movement units, and also of units with at least 4 difference between attack and defense (so for example, in nap empires the mortar unit is 5att/0def, and it will get puchased less now)