features required

squid_daddy
This post was updated on .
shortlist mostly so map makers know whats gone/going in recently

1 - victory conditions
2 - neutral territory behaviour
*3 - china
        #a burma road (buy arty)
        #b place without factory, place on turn captured
        c factories disappear if liberated
        #d original territories under enemy control
        #e movement restictions
        #f no capital (irrelevant or has non disruptive workaround)
4 - politics (too many special cases to bother listing)
5 - naval bases
        a repair units
        b extra movement
*6 - airbases
        a extra movement
        b scramble
*7 - strat bombing
        a escorts
        b new aa behaviour
        c defending fighters
        *d bomb air/naval base
8 - paired unit blitzing
10 - kamikaze attacks
*11 - factories
        a sizes
        b upgrading
#12 - convoys
#13 - flexible unit support
14 - damaged carriers
15 - subs ambush unescorted transports
        (assuming all other sub stuff is covered by current variants)
#16 - national objectives
        a one time bonus
        b non map related triggers
#17 - remove blitz property effect on land-transport
*18 - tech flexibility
19 - variable dice size
20 - territory production limits
*21 - AA LL-diceroll switch
22 - combat initiative
23 - customise unit rolls
24 - mulitple hit units
*25 - fractional unit prices
status
* in progress
# completed

anyone let me know if i've missed anything important or got the status flag wrong (looking at you kev)

Re: features required

squid_daddy
reserved in order to consolidate usage details in one spot

Re: features required

good stuff...

we might as well add non-pac40 related stuff too,
like the new properties i/kev made
(will list them later)

Re: features required

3 china B and D and E are DONE, while F currently has a great workaround (put the capitol in an Impassible Territory)

also add to the list that we need to DECOUPLE blitz from mechanized infantry technology's land-based transporting of units

Re: features required

squid_daddy
modified. not clear what the effect of blitz is you mention, i've obviously not played whatever map that is used in. did someone let you load mechinf onto tanks as a workaround or something?

yep properties list is appropriate too, i'll put them in the as yet unfilled usage details post.

Re: features required

put simply,

isStrategic bomber was used as a trigger to allow paratrooping (with the tech)

and blitz was used as a trigger to allow the unit with blitz to carry with it a unit with isInfantry (with the tech)

isStrategic bomber and paratrooping were decoupled into 2 unit properties (the new property is isAirTransport (and isAirTransportable))

and blitz still needs to be decoupled into blitz & isLandTransport (and isLandTransportable)

Re: features required

Hey Squiddy, how would you like to be identified in the change logs?  Do you want Squid Daddy, or perhaps your real name?  I'm in the process of reviewing and adding some of your patches.

Re: features required

squid_daddy
I don't mind at all. if you have access to my real name then flips a coin and use it or not :)
if not, and variation of squid is fine.

@veg ahh ok i get it.

Re: features required

Lets release an unstable after the scramble code is finished, that way people other than us 4 can start finding bugs.

ps: squid, its a Q not a g   ;p

oh, and I'll leave this thread to be about coding the required features,
and i'll start a new thread about how to actually implement the new features in map xml's

Re: features required

Veqryn wrote
Lets release an unstable after the scramble code is finished
Agreed, there are several things I need to finish for that code.  I'll try to get to them in the next week.  In the meantime, if you'd like to work some of the patches that have been submitted that'll be fine.  Sorry, I actuall didn't realize the patches could be submitted like the bugs, I just had the bug page bookmarked and didn't browse around the SourceForge page.

Re: features required

ok, i decoupled canBlitz from mechanized infantry tech successfully

the new property is called "isLandTransport"
and it is used to transport "isInfantry" land units when you have the Mechanized Infantry technology.

not sure if this affects you at all squid

Re: features required

squid_daddy
sweet, updating list.
it affects me in as much is it means I have 1 less thing to do ;)

Re: features required

if you want fewer things to do, may I suggest the following:

$ = not needed until all the other stuff is done

#3 - china
        $c factories disappear if liberated
$10 - kamikaze attacks

for victory conditions, i can virtually guarantee that people will surrender before the actual victory plays out.  alternatively, we can just list the actual victory conditions in the game notes, and players can abide by them.

for neutral behavior, people will rarely attack neutrals with the intention or possibility of losing with neutral units left over.  in the weird case that they do, people can use edit mode to replace neutral units left over with units owned by a friendly power (or w/e the rules say, i haven't read the europe 1940 book yet)

for factories disappearing, people can use edit mode.  japan will probably surrender when china takes any of its factories, so no big deal

for kamikaze attacks, these never happen because larry was dumb and made the conditions and NOs so ridiculous that the USA will never both landing troops on iwo jima or okinawa

these all don't have to be done til the end, if at all

Re: features required

I think I'll take advantage of your offer on programming some features, as there is one feature both Pulicat and I wish we had:

Player rules that limit the production per territory.

For example, right now we have player rules that allow for the Chinese rules in ww2v3, copied below:

<attatchment name="rulesAttatchment" attatchTo="Chinese" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
    <option name="movementRestrictionTerritories" value="Chinghai:Ningxia:Sikang:Yunnan:Hupeh:Fukien:Suiyuan:Manchuria:Kiangsu:Kwangtung"/>
    <option name="movementRestrictionType" value="allowed"/>
    <option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="2"/>
    <option name="placementAnyTerritory" value="true"/>
    <option name="placementCapturedTerritory" value="true"/>
    <option name="placementPerTerritory" value="3"/>
</attatchment>

they currently allow china to produce one unit (infantry) per 2 territories they control,
and allow china to place those units ANYWHERE they control, including captured territories,
but with the restriction that if the territory has 3 or more chinese units in it already, they can not place (despite its confusing name, "placementPerTerritory" actually just prevents placing units if you have that many or more there.  you can still place infinite numbers of units if you want to)

what I want is this:
    <option name="MaximumPlacedUnitsPerTerritory" value="2"/>

so that, at most, China can place up to 2 units per each territory.  (or up to 10, or w/e, i have a lot of crazy maps)

if you are feeling ambitious, you could also do this one:
    <option name="MaximumPlacedEqualToTerritoryValueMultiple" value="1"/>
(default is -1, which means it is not active)

which would be similar to the previous one, except that the maximum you can place per territory is equal to the PU value of that territory.
the value in this case, determines the Multiple of the territory value used.
So a value of 1 means I can place up to 10 units in Germany, 6 in France, 3 in Manchuria, 1 in Yunnan.
A value of 2 doubles that, so 20 units in Germany, 12 in France, 6 in Manchuria, 2 in Yunnan.
If you choose a use a float, i suggest truncating the float to a single decimal point (1.253 becomes 1.2), and then truncating the result of the multiple (so using a value of 1.5 on manchuria gives 4)

heck, both properties could be used at the same time, if for example i want china to place at most 6 units per territory, but a multiple of 3 of the territory value (so yunnan you place 3, manchuria you place 6, and hypothetical-chinese-owned-germany you place 6)

if you can think of a way to make a more extensible version of this, or a version that makes more sense, kudos to you

thanks squid,

Re: features required

squid_daddy
yep can do easy peasy, it would probably be wise to add a definable limit to territoryattachment itself
and a rule to turn it on or off for players. so you don't have to rely on the PU.

either way i'll just put this in my back pocket until i see what happens with the factory size
patch, which modifies the same code. the trigger placement patch has already put some stuff in that
I will have to remember to clean up if/when factory sizes and upgrade units goes in.

wonder if this sort of placement will every get mixed with factories, suppose in case it does
we'll also need a rule for which takes precendence.

Re: features required

2 new wishes,

1) price modifying attachments, see my other post

2) <option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="2"/> could be easily changed to make it more useful,
because as of right now, you can only have 1 instance of this, and it only produces "infantry"
only producing infantry makes it useless on map where there are no units called infantry, but are units called "goblins" or w/e.

i imagine changing this to <option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="2" unitType="<unitName>"/>, and allowing multiples.  (if unitType is missing, it defaults to current implementation, using infantry)

so for example, you could have:
<option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="2" unitType="goblins"/>
<option name="productionPerXTerritories" value="4" unitType="ogres"/>
which would give 1 goblin per 2 territories and 1 ogre per 4 territories

I'll poke around and see what stuff I can take from this list,
I just finished:
#21 - AA LL-diceroll switch

If I may recommend which things need completion soon, I would say this order:

1) whatever you are working on atm (techs i think?)

2) price modifying attachments (POS2 currently does not work, because shipyards sucks atm)

3) a unit property or support attachment that allows units to repair (land and air must be in same territory, sea must be in adjacent territory).

4) either a unit property or a support attachment that gives X extra movement to any unit that has either Y name or Z unit attachment
if you do it by unit attachment, you would attach this to air bases: <option name="extraMovement" value="1" unitProperty="isAir"/>
if you do it by support attachments (by far the more flexible and cooler), you would do it like this:
attatchment name="supportAttachmentAirfieldExtraMovement" attatchTo="airfield" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitSupportAttachment" type="unitType">
    option name="unitType" value="fighter:bomber:tactical_bomber"/>
    option name="faction" value="allied"/>
    option name="phase" value="offence"/>  <-- options are "combat", "nonCombat", and "both"
    option name="dice" value="movement"/>  <-- gives extra movement (if you want to change the name of dice to "affecting" or "property" or something else, i'm cool with that)
    option name="bonus" value="1"/>  <-- the amount of extra movement
    option name="number" value="1000"/>  <-- or leave it out for infinity (number of units that can receive the bonus per turn
    option name="bonusType" value="bases"/>  <-- you can have multiple bases in a territory, maybe some stack, others don't stack

5) new aa behavior, strat bombing escorts and interceptors

thanks squid,

Re: features required

in trying to get isConstruction to work, and validate placement correctly, i found it quite easy to just go ahead and make the maxPlacement rules,

player rule attachment:
<option name="maxPlacePerTerritory" value="2"/>

currently i have it taking precedence over factories, which i think is appropriate for a player rule.

i know this will mess up the factory sizes patch a little, but kev messed it up first... ;p

comon kev,.... we are waiting on your finished scrambling code here.....
when you finish that, squid can finish his factory sizes patch and we can make an unstable.....

anyway squid, scratch that one off the list :)
- veQ

Re: features required

rockrobinoff
hi there,

is there an unstable one might download so those of us keen to help find bugs can start?

Re: features required

every once in a while i will compile the code and release it as a pre-release

note that there are some bugs related to air units and scrambling right now,

check out here to download any pre-releases i release:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/prerelease/

triplea comes with the following new maps, which you can use to test stuff on:
"Pact of Steel 2"
"New World Order" (different than #NEW WORLD ORDER#, as it has some new stuff from the engine updates)

Re: features required

just finished repair rules for harbours / battleships  (when kev finishes his stuff on "operational damage" i'll update it to account for that).

so scratch that off the list :)

you can also scratch off "can't build factories on islands" as I did that too.

squiddy, come back!
i need your help on stuff that is way too advanced for me (shipyards!)