feature request: canBombard for land units

feature request: canBombard for land units

eurofabio
So far canBombard just work for sea units:

canBombard - values: allows a sea unit to bombard the enemy during an amphibious assault

But why not for land units? I can't see a reason, besides imbalance if not wise used.

Re: feature request: canBombard for land units

SuperNova
One thing that I think would make the game a little more interesting is giving artillery units the ability to fire a single shot on the bombarding naval units during an amphibious assualt, as well as defending against the invaders.  Just a thought.

canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

Cleisthenis
I'm working on a large (>100 territory) contemporary map right now that scales down to roughly 100 square kilometres, representing my home city, Edmonton, Alberta and surrounding communities.

1. It would be great if I could create a "long-range" artillery type that could support assaults or bombard at a distance I could determine in the .xml...

I'd create a whole line of artillery units based loosely on the classes described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#Classification_of_artillery

2. A canBuild function for units, say an Engineer that can build bunkers, airfields or other permanent units in non-factory territories.

3. Given my smaller scale map, I'd ideally like to find a way to treat airfields like aircraft carriers. That is, make it so that aircraft must return to base or crash after a turn... In order to make this work, I'd increase the movement so that any aircraft could 'Bomb' almost any territory but only be allowed to end turn on an allied airfield. Is this workable in the current code?

Re: canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

hepster
Cleisthenis wrote
I'm working on a large (>100 territory) contemporary map right now that scales down to roughly 100 square kilometres, representing my home city, Edmonton, Alberta and surrounding communities.
The battle for Edmonton?!?  LOL that's awesome!

Cleisthenis wrote
1. It would be great if I could create a "long-range" artillery type that could support assaults or bombard at a distance I could determine in the .xml...

I'd create a whole line of artillery units based loosely on the classes described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#Classification_of_artillery
Currently there is no Bombard ability for land units.  It'd be a very welcome feature, but does not exist at the moment.

Cleisthenis wrote
2. A canBuild function for units, say an Engineer that can build bunkers, airfields or other permanent units in non-factory territories.

This is already achievable.

Cleisthenis wrote
Not sure about this.  You can already have Airfields that act as carriers (ie. providing movement and allowing scrambling)  but I'm not sure of whether you could set up anything where air units are destroyed.  Because currently the engine is based on checking whether an Air unit can be moved at all prior to selecting it for a battle.  This feature, the way you described it is either only achievable with a complex array of triggers or not at all.

Re: canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

Cleisthenis
hepster wrote
The battle for Edmonton?!?  LOL that's awesome!
Thanks! I've already got the map and most of the .xml file done but ended getting the "cannot find centres" error when I tired to run it, even though the .txt file is in the correct folder. Vaq says the new utilities are coming in the next release, so I'll bide my time until then to start play testing it.
hepster wrote
I wonder if it could be done by setting the unit movement to 0 or 1 and then boosting the provide movement value for the airfields to really big like 100?

Re: canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

hepster
That is (sort of) how we did it with T.W.W.

Instead of Air units having lots of movement, they start with only a few (2)

then airfields add the bulk of the movement.

In this way if your units originate from an Airfield they get their max movement.

If they land in one of your territories without an Airfield, then they barely have any movement at all.

We were trying to mimic the idea that without the fuel and maintenance services of ground crews that your air units would operate at a much reduced capacity.  Thus making Airfields an essential part of maintaining a functioning air force.

But the idea that unit will die without an airfield is difficult,  you'd have to do a very comprehensive set of conditions and triggers to check every terr. every turn for every team.  (If its possible at all, I'm not the resident XML expert).

Re: canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

Cleisthenis
What about hacking the .xml that causes planes to crash over water territories without an aircraft carrier? Since it is a land only map, couldn't we somehow trick the planes into thinking that every territory without an airfield (carrier) is water?

Might be some way to "hack that in"  not sure.

Re: canBombard PLUS canBuild and something to force air units to land on airfields?

Cleisthenis
I've been reading through the unit Attachment options and I think I can take a stab at getting Artillery to bombard by setting it up as AA with rockets... its just a hunch. If I can get that to work then I might have the units I'm proposing for my Battle for River City map ready in a couple weeks.