e40/g40 style maps

Re: e40/g40 style maps

what is it supposed to be like on the actual map?

I think it would not be that hard to either change pacific 1940's basetiles, or to have a "little mini sea zone" right there that is part of the sea zone off baja
you can connect things like that, its pretty easy (and we will have to do it anyway for some russian territories that are in both boards

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
What Im going to do is finish a totally standalone Europe map now.

Then I will provide a merged Global map that will correct the territories on the joined edge. This still wont fix the mexico problem, but it fixes the russia/india/indianOcean stuff.

Hows that sound?

Re: e40/g40 style maps

just make the pacific side of mexico longer in the global version.... ?

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
Yea, lol durrr on my part, that works :) ... kept thinking the pac side was "untouchable."

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Axis Overlord
Can I play yet?
I spend too much time playing this game.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
So I spent all Sunday working on this, and made a lot of progress.

I want to note some things, Italy is now brown so Im going to change the colours of their units from v3 blue, and i will probly also lighten the French unit colours a bit to match the colour I chose:

color.Italians=58360E
color.French=156CC4

These two look pretty solid in the game.

There are technically 5 Canal/Straits in the game, and Ive made them all Canals: Panama, Suez, Danish (Nor<->Denmark), Turkish (Dards), and Strait of Gibralter (Gib<->Morocco). There are two problems with it anyways Im not sure if the engine can deal with:

- Submarines should be able to go through the Strait of Gib no matter what
- If you're not at war with someone, you can ask to go through. (This is less important and I think EDIT would work for the few times it would ever happen rather then trying to code in some sort of prompt.)

Another bug I ran into was that if I place a factory with X production capacity in a territory worth Y PUs where Y-X > 0, then the game starts with the factory having Y-X damage. i.e. a 3 minor IC in Germany worth 5 starts with 2 damage.

I plan to have two XML files in the game, one for the vanilla game and another for the latest revision of rules A+2.

Since I personally prefer the v3 reliefs best out of all the others I've seen, I am including a set of them as well for Europe.

My TODO:
- Teams under diplomatic conditions / War dialog (Check out how it's done in Pacific)
- National Objectives
- Victory Conditions
- Pro-Axis/Allies Neutrals

EDIT:

Oh yea and the other big thing I needed to ask about was if this was possible:
- eg, Player Z sends a unit into a neutral territory that is friendly to their cause and gains X number of units in that spot that one time only. (Technically it's supposed to happen on non-combat, but as long a none of them have any MPs it's fine.)

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
Well what turned out to look ok in terms of browns for italy/uk didnt turn out so well for unit colours, they're not very distinguishable and i know people will bitch about it at first until they learn to recognize the units. If i can get the italian units a shade or two darker and the uk units a shade or two lighter, it might work...

Re: e40/g40 style maps

rockrobinoff
bravo Bung.

thanks for the hard work.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

don't change the shade of UK or the other established powers please (russia, germany, uk, america, japan), or you will cause me a headache.

mess with italy all you want though,

anyways bung, it looks great, and I can't wait to get my hands on it

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
This post was updated on .
Veq, are you very familiar with the OOB global rules or the Alpha+2 global rules? Do you know what the engine can support and what it can't for these two rulesets? I think if possible the best thing to do is get A+2 working because it's the most recent and has fixed a lot of problems.

Here is the first draft of the game notes for E40 OOB ive included:

EDIT: Removed, updated in later posts.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

this kind of thing really really helps me

tell me how the rules for pacific, europe, global, and A+2, are different from ww2v3 rules.

i'll read this more tomorrow and tell you what we have and what has yet to be done,

Re: e40/g40 style maps

yamamot0
Great work guys!

If you need somebody to help you testplaying the alpha and checking the rules, you can count me in.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
Yama if you could go ahead and get the G40 Alpha+2 rules for Veq from harrisgamedesign that would be helpful, so I can keep going on some other E40 stuff. If you also want to break out the specific A+2 rule changes that would affect E40 that would also be good. Essentially there are a number of ways to writeup / compare these rule sets, so just go with what feels natural to you.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Victory conditions are coded,

Canals are done, except for the submarine thingy.  Shouldn't be too hard to code, though I am really starting to hate all these stupid exceptions to rules.

Politics are not coded, and most likely will not be coded for a very very long time.  There are plenty of good work-arounds available though, like those 2 boxes in the corner of my pacific map (click the box and you are "at war").

NOs: all are done except for the things based on units.  I think it won't be hard to make new conditions for units (like german units in territory xx)

Scrambling partly finished, ask kev for details.

SBR escorts and interceptors not started yet, and we have to wait for scambling to finish before we start this.

I just finished coding the separation of normal-combat-AAguns from SBR-AAguns.

I think convoys are completed.  How exactly are these europe convoys different from pacific's "blockade" zones?

Factory production limits are not coded yet, and waiting for kev to finish his scrambling code since there is some overlap.

Special rules for damaged carriers not coded yet.

Tanks and fighters giving support to TacBombers is coded.
Tanks giving blitz to Mech inf is not coded.

I just finished coding the bonus movement given by air and naval bases.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

bung,
let me know what i can help with the map xml.  I am very familiar with how to get the map xml's working, and the special workarounds that we will have to do to get europe to work.

also, just reminding you since not sure if you saw the above message, but please don't change the unit colors of the major powers (UK, russia, germany, japan, usa)

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
Thanks for the info Veq, I will do as much as I can on E40 map/xml with what i can find listed here and in the extra pos xml file. Once I cant get any farther on it I'll post with the outstanding list I guess? Anyways, I totally hear you on the rules getting ridiculous. I would venture to say that if we get this stuff done I don't see how they can make it more complicated, but you never know *sigh*

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
ok cool, ill ask questions if i need, but i have a bit of time for this too, and i appreciate what you're doing for the engine. Yea i got your message about not changing UK, that's ok with me. Im going to try to make italian units "browner" but if that doesnt work, might have to think of something else :)

Re: e40/g40 style maps

i really like the italian blue color from ww2v3

this would mean changing france to be some other color though, which is fine with me.

when you are doing the "conditions and national objectives" part, PLEASE make sure all conditions have very descriptive completely unique names.  this will solve headaches later.

example:
conditionAttachmentAmericansGoToWar

name of attachment [conditionAttachment] + exact name of player [Americans] + small unique description [GoToWar]

unlike ww2v3, if you plan on using national objectives (and conditions and triggers), they must ALL be unique names

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
Alright, so from what I can see in your POS xml, this is how i would "think" the victory conditions for axis should be done for OOB E40, however nothing happened in the game. Do I have to include <property> stuff too? it seemed like the <property> victory conditions were for the old style of just getting X number of VCs.

<attatchment name="conditionAttachmentAxisVictory1" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
<option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="United Kingdom:Russia:Germany:Poland:France:Southern Italy:Novgorod:Volgograd:Ontario:Egypt:Eastern United States" count="8"/>
</attatchment>
<attatchment name="conditionAttachmentAxisVictory2" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
<option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="Germany:Southern Italy" count="1"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="triggerAttachmentAxisVictory1" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
<option name="trigger" value="conditionAttachmentAxisVictory1" />
<option name="trigger" value="conditionAttachmentAxisVictory2" />
<option name="victory" value="The Axis achieve victory by controlling 8 VCs and keeping contorl of Berlin and/or Rome!"/>
</attatchment>

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Bung
I'm also having difficulty dealing with the Pro-Axis/Allied neutrals. (At this point I'm even wondering if I should just hand the map off to you, since I don't seem to know how to do anything.)

Rolf left me a message on the dev lobby:
(14:00:47) RolfLarsson:  hi bung, about your request for global 40. It is possible to get units when near a friendly neutral, currently you ll have to take the territory and you can then trigger the placement of units

However, from what I've read about the placement trigger, it places at the start of combat. Furthermore we dont want to trigger unit placement, because the units need to be there since the allies would have to fight them.

My thought was this:

<player name="ProAxis"/>
<alliance player="ProAxis" alliance="Axis"/>

<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="infantry" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="canBeGivenByTerritoryTo" value="Russians:British:Americans:Italians:Germans:French"/>

<territoryOwner territory="Finland" owner="ProAxis"/>

<unitPlacement unitType="infantry" territory="Finland" quantity="4" owner="ProAxis"/>

<attatchment name="playerAttatchment" attatchTo="ProAxis" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.PlayerAttachment" type="player">
<option name="giveUnitControl" value="Germans:Italians"/>
</attatchment>

However, I cant seem to find anywhere about how to trigger giveUnitControl if an allied player moves units into the Finland...

How would you do this Veq?
12345678 ... 14