e40/g40 style maps

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
G40_1014_Trial.png

Veqryn, while I am not done, I feel pretty decent about this one.  Once I got used to the line tool Paint.net felt pretty natural to use.  It kept me from making so many hard angles.

I copied this from a transparent overlay layer.  Did my colors stay right?  My blacks look black enough to me still.  Just want to make sure.

Are my territories outlined correctly?  I have been fooling with Europe for some time trying to make the territories with the most movement a little larger.

Don't worry, by no means do I feel like a cartographer.  If this is good I will try to clean up the appearance of a couple things.  Make Italy look less comical.  Figure out how to condense the HUGE Norway territory into something normal.  Stuff like that.

Its late.  Let me know what I can do better.  Tomorrow I should be able to do Africa and North America if you say it will work.  Thanks for pulling me along.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

U-boat
I like everything up to Eastern Europe. The rest looks overly generalized and needs more definition. Like you said "cartoonish". Good luck

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
G40_1014_Trial.png

The newest version.  If I have been tracing and saving it right all the lines should be 1px thick and just black.

The America's look considerably better than Europe which I still need to clean up.

At this point I believe all the territories border the correct other territories.

The blue still needs added into the Western Hemisphere.

Europe is purposely larger to aid game play.

The St. Lawrence River issue is smoothed over what I believe to be the correct way.

Perhaps I could scrunch up central Africa a bit to make South Africa larger.

Any ideas on map alignment going between the Pacific and Atlantic?  This is a problem on the game board if I remember.

Most importantly let me know if the format/type of lines/colors are correct.  It is my first map if you all haven't already figured that out.

Thanks again.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

why does larry harris make such distorted maps?
i knew when i saw europe that africa just looked terrible, but i had no idea it looked that terrible. (the actual board)

anyway, good job so far

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
I have no idea, but don't say it too loudly.  He has quite the cult following.   I dare you to hit the axisandallies.org forums and say anything negative about this game, they will come to your house and burn it down, defend him with such blind zeal they do!

Seriously, why is Belgian Congo bigger than any space in Europe?   Hell, it is bigger than most of Europe.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
N/S Americas look great.   Europe and Africa look like kids with Down Syndrome :)     But you can see how much you've improved and I have confidence when you have the time that you will correct those two and we'll have a great map to use!

Thanks much for the effort!

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
Lol @ Europe and Africa comments.

North America was a tracing afair so it was easy. Trying to tweak europe larger while keeping all the correct connections requires skill so its taking me longer. Sunday and Monday are my off days so by the next day or two they should be looking better.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

pug6000
Is it only my impression or is Larry Harris reading this forum and playing TripleA himself? I just took a look at the rules and found many "new" things that already exist in TripleA. He even calls the NOs for Italy "Mare nostrum"!

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Hobbes__
Good work on the map :)

I've looked at your file, here are a couple of comments:
* There's a gap somewhere on Panama's lines (I've tried filling the SZ with blue and Panama turned blue as well)
* E. Poland does not extend to the sea (it is landlocked).
* Argentina and Chile are joined together (they are separate)
* Gibraltar is huge.
* Northern Ireland looks like a square
* Greenland could be moved a little to the left (too close to Canada)
* Although they are on the board map the Baleares are not a territory and could be removed (less confusing). Same applies to the island close to Sweden.
* Portugal just looks weird (I'm portuguese btw) but I guess I can't complain much ;)
* Benelux has taken over the north of France.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
G40_1014_Color_Blue.pdn

Here we go.  Nice catch on the open line in Panama.  Using the fill tool (a nice trick, thank you) I found a few others and fixed them.  Also fixed a couple of other things.  Made Russia larger and Norway and Portugal look better.

Good catch on Chile.

I left Gibraltar HUGE.  From forums I read it is likely to have a good number of Italian, British, and American units in it so game play will benefit from it stealing some of Spain's land.

Hopefully this helps things along.

Let me know if there is more I can do.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Hobbes__
Could you please post the map on .png format? I can't open the file you posted. Thanks.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
or you could DL from here

http://www.getpaint.net/

and open the file.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
Here is the PNG format.

G40_1014_Color_Blue.png

This file took FOREVER to convert on my old laptop.  I was doing a little photo-editing Tuesday and it went quicker.  Guess it's the size of the file.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
I like everything west of EUR and east of the Mid East :)

http://sillysoft.net/lux/maps/WWII%20Europe

a less is more reference tool?

I still think the middle of the map looks a bit like the elephant man.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Veqryn wrote
why does larry harris make such distorted maps?
i knew when i saw europe that africa just looked terrible, but i had no idea it looked that terrible. (the actual board)
The distortion in the board game is from the need to hold the physical pieces and to provide additional areas in the parts of the world where the most action took place.

In my opinion, the 1984 edition has the best-looking map.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

that would make sense roger, if it was true,

but africa really looks like ..... i don't know, it just looks really bad and distorted,

and besides, you can make europe bigger without making it look so freaking retarted

the best map, in my opinion, is our hand drawn ww2v3 map

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
not to mention, there is enough room in africa to put 1/2 the game pieces, but you can't fit more than 2 infantry in Bessarabia.  Or the starting German Naval pieces in the Baltic.   Or...

Europe should be oversized.  It's a game.  Doesn't need to be a correct representation, it needs to have bigger spaces where the battles are going to take place.   Those take place in Europe, not Ethiopia.

At least in TripleA we don't have to actually fit all the pieces in the actual spaces, so we can have a better looking map.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

toronado3800
I will take a shot at tracing europe, enlarging it, and bending the sea zones to work. Maybe that will kill some of the elephantitis lol

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
again, the water is not a big deal in TripleA other than aesthetics.   more a shot at LH's map design.

but europe looks like duplo blocks, so I can speak for me when I say if you take a retrace at it, I would appreciate it :)

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Ludovic
Yeah its all a rip-off of WWII v3, an original creation of the Triple A community.

Hint: Sarcasm.
12345 ... 14