e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
@ veq

do you have what you need to start working on one of these?  if not, what do you need?

thanks

Re: e40/g40 style maps

I need a black & white trace of e40.
it must be 3213 pixels tall (in order for me to put it beside p40 in order to create g40, because p40 is 3773x3213 pixels big)
it must be in similar style to the black and white trace of p40, in other words, single pixel thick borders, etc.

here is the black and white trace of p40, which i need a similar version of e40 to start

World_War_II_Pacific.png

click to download and have a look.

if i get an e40 just like that, then I can do everything else easily.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

rockrobinoff
out of curiosity, do the triplea maps tend to be hand drawn and then scanned in? are the colours (white and purple[?]) the ideal?

Re: e40/g40 style maps

not sure how crystalct did the p40 trace, whether by hand or on the computer or an adaption of an existing map....
black and white have hex codes = 000000 & FFFFFF

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
would this be a good jumping off point?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19489.0

Re: e40/g40 style maps

maybe

other options include using ImperiousLeader's maps

or simply buying the board, tracing it, scanning the trace into a computer, OR scanning it first then tracing it

or taking an actual atlas map (anything but mercator), and then adapting it

or drawing a map yourself (our ww2v3 map was actually hand drawn by a community member: TripleElk, or blackelk, or whiteelk, or some sort of elk)

at any rate, I'll tell you up front that I am not going to be doing this part

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
I am intending to copy that exact high resolution picture of the map into a photobucket like program called GIMP.  Then I will try creating a new layer and tracing black lines over the layer under it.

Do you prefer black and white?  The PNG looks Blue and white on my lap top.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
Maher, i just realized it sounds like you are on top of this. Let me know if you need anything

Re: e40/g40 style maps

open up my pacific map link above in gimp

you will see there are 3 colors, and only 3 colors

white = FFFFFF

black = 000000

blue = 3E668C
(don't make anything blue until after you are finished with everything... in fact, let me do that part)

the black is used for borders.  if you can't see them, you need to zoom in to at least 100%, maybe 200%
the borders are just 1 pixel thick, and they are NOT anti-aliased.  do not use smoothing or anti-aliasing, or the map will be useless to me.  if there are any colors, even 1 pixel, that are not the exact color hex codes above, then i will have to spend time fixing it.  Also, if you look at the border lines, you will see that when going diagonally they do not need to have the black connecting, which means it doesn't have a jagged / chunky look.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
G40_Trial.png

This is not finished.  Just running out of time tonight thanks to diaper changes and work in the morning.  Also would be nice to make sure I am on the right track.

I am using GIMP, a free photoshop like program.  Layer editing works better for me there.

I took a picture of the G40 Game and scaled it to your dimensions.
Then I created a new layer on top of that.
Copied and pasted your white and blue P40 Map onto the Pacific side of the layer.
Copied your white background.
Set that layer to about 20% transparency where I could see the G40 map underneath it.
Went about tracing.

Questions which came up:
What to do with Turkey?  Looks like two separate zones on the map so I just copied that best I could.
Do I just draw a line through the Suez when I make it that far?

Re: e40/g40 style maps

I haven't actually bought the board game yet, so i do not know what turkey looks like on the board.  I guess just trace it, I can take care of any territory issues, like linking up two territories that don't connect (like how multiple islands are part of a single territory).

Here are a couple issues, take a look at the picture here:

corrections_g40.png

I zoomed in to 400% on the middle just to illustrate some things.  I drew a red line down the middle of the map, dividing the pacific side from the europe side.  And I drew red circles around area issues.  Also, I drew two example lines in red.  You can't have pixels sticking out like that, or gaps between the pixels, or lines that thicken then get thin again randomly.

Basically, some time after tracing it, you have to go back and clean it up at a very high zoom level (400-800% zoom depending how good your eyes are).
Alternatively, you can use the line drawer thingy to draw a line, then shape the line, and then just get it to approximate the borders of a territory.  I do not know what line drawer things GIMP uses, but I know that PAINT.NET as well as Photoshop have them.  Basically, you click for the beginning point, then click for the end point, a line then appears with little boxes along it.  You can click and grab the line to move any of the boxes, in order to form any kind of curve you wish.  I used this method in paint.net to make those 2 curvy red lines you see in the png.  You could use this method to trace the territory borders, in such a way that they look smooth just like the pacific side.

thanks for doing this, when it finally gets done everyone will appreciate it,
veqryn

ps: also, do not bother making anything blue.  that can be done at the very very end after we have a smooth, cleaned up, black and white map.  making something blue will probably just make it more difficult to do the cleaning up of those borders.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

OnanTheBrBr
Keep in mind maybe that the map not only does not have to be an exact copy, but it even is better, if it aint. After all, the copyright thingy has been the reason for the WW2v3 maps to be hand-drawn.

But Veq is on top of this, I am just hinting...
EB
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: e40/g40 style maps

nolesfan1
Im so glad their is finnally being some progress made on these maps. thx so much tornado and veq and everyone else who is helping out. I agree it looks very good. I did buy G40 so if you need some help about board stuff I can. I didnt know that v3 was hand drawn interesting. it looks really good 2 be hand drawn. I agree with copyright issues but has anyone thought of a name for G40. it cant be G40 I assume so what will it be ww2 global or something?

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
feel free to take the lead.  I have the board, but we're on OT this week and next, so I get about 2 hrs of actual free time until the weekend.   you're not stepping on any toes there Torn :)

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
not sure that WOTC can copywright the EARTH :)   if we keep it close, but not exact they shouldn't have a leg to stand on IMO, but  I don't have a JD.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800

Ok.  I used a zoom of 400 and the straight line tool to make this one.  The lines are much cleaner than the previous version.  Is this on the right track?

Europe_Display.png

Re: e40/g40 style maps

it looks a lot better,
except that you are using anti-aliased lines (zoom in and you will see that they fade from black to grey to white).  unfortunately the map maker will not work if you try to use an anti-aliased line.

my suggestion: stop using GIMP.  gimp sucks when trying to draw something, gimp is only useful for applying affects to pictures and stuff.  Switch to Paint.Net (which is free).  http://www.getpaint.net/  (to turn off aa, you click the green curvy line near the menu bar at the top of your screen, and it will become a green blocky line, signaling that the lines won't be smoothed with anti-aliasing)

straight lines, anti-aliased:

curved line version, no-anti-aliasing:

thx for trying though,

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado
Got it. Even on my phone i can see the difference. Thanks for pointing it out. Later tonight i will take another shot at it.  Thanks for the link.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Maherdogg
My 2 cents, I had planned on taking some artistic license w/the land masses.  Africa doesn't need to be quite so big in spots, etc, while there are some spots in Europe which will be fought over and need to be big enough to show units w/o them bleeding over into the next space.

Re: e40/g40 style maps

Toronado3800
Got it.  Paint.net is working for me.  The line drawing tool creates more gently curved lines but takes just a little longer to use.  Tomorrow I will get more time to work up the map and should be able to post something.
1234 ... 14