Well, we have 2 versions already coded, and 1 version not coded at all yet (pacific 1940 needs to be coded still, very important).
1) Convoy Zones = A sea territory with a PU value. If you are the original owner, and you control it, you gain X PU's. If your enemy comes and takes it away from you (using any ship that can't transport)(so it is now 'controlled' by someone else), then you do not get the income, and neither do they get any income. Convoy Zones can't be "taken", only "denied", as the money sinks to the bottom of the ocean.
2) Convoy Routes = A sea territory that is Assigned to a Land territory (can have a PU value or No pu value [usually no value]). Both the sea territory AND the land territory MUST be controlled by the same player in order to get the income from both territories. If you control one but not the other, you get no income. If a Land territory has more than 1 sea territory assigned to it, then you get the income from the land as long as you control at least 1 of those sea territories. [a small bug in that convoy routes that start out neutral never provide income after being captured].
3) Pacific 1940 Convoy's. Or as you may want to call it, "blockade zones". These are sea territories that border a land territory. If there is an enemy warship there, all touching land territories that are controlled by you produce 1 less income (can't go less than zero). If that enemy warship is a submarine, the production goes down by 2 per touching/connecting land territory.
I would honestly say that this new "blockade zone" is just ripe for being extensible. Why should we force people to go by those rules? Let them customize!
Here is what I am thinking:
Let this be a unit attachment (and obviously a territory attachment, to decide which zones can be blockaded and which can not).
<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="battleship" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType"> <option name="blockade" value="2"/>
and allow this to be any value between Zero and 1000 or w/e.
let the map maker decide. rather than restrict people to rules like positive attack, etc. maybe i want to make a map where there is a special blockade boat with no attack value, just made for blockading, etc. Or maybe I think the game would be more balanced if submarines blockaded at 3 instead of 2. etc.
ps to kev, yes there is a property for this:
<property name="Sub Control Sea Zone Restricted" value="true" editable="false"> <boolean/> </property>
it is false, or should be false, in most maps,... but for some reason someone added it to most maps in 184.108.40.206 as true. w/e
this is submitted.
one thing to note, territory attachments default to PU=2
if a sea zone has a PU>0 then it is assumed to be one of the other types of convoy zones
and displays the territory owners flag.
so set production to 0 to avoid this.
if someone wants to display blockades by icon rather than map tile
then the file to modify is 'IDrawable.java'
relevent TA method is 'isBlockade'
i will email kev and ask him what files he is working on, and see if I can commit some of your patches, that it isn't all on kev's head.
we should probably release an unstable version of triplea very very soon, because we have had a lot of changes since the last release. without getting an unstable out, and getting user's finding our bugs, it is quite possible we will continue building and make it very difficult to test our work.
Ok, i got the IDrawable.java to draw blockade zones, and along the way fixed a couple of things that greatly annoyed me as a map maker:
2 new txt files allowed:
format is the same as other txt files, and it allows you to move where the convoy or blockade image goes inside a territory
23 Sea Zone (709,292)
the default image for convoy's is the nation's medium sized flag
the default image for blockades is the blockade flag that now comes with TripleA
the blockade image can be changed by adding a new image to your map's misc folder called exactly "blockade.png"
I also fixed the bug where a convoy zone that was occupied territory displayed the wrong owner
and the bug where a convoy route was displayed as a convoy zone
i feel pretty happy about this, this is the first time i dicked around with displaying stuff and it worked perfectly
I am still annoyed by a couple of things, and I may need some pointers on how to resolve them.
1) I want to be able to specify new images for convoy zones/routes, but keep backwards compatibility in using the medium sized nation flag IF those new images are missing. New image should be in the flags folder and called "<convoy owner's name>_convoy"
2) The text that pops up and says "Germans Convoy Center" or "Norway Convoy Route" is often in the wrong place, and I would like to know how to move it. The ability to move the text might already exist, and if so I need to know how. If not, I need to know how to make a way to move it. Also, I would like a way to turn it off completely, in case i want to use decorations.
SGB, Kev, or Squid, can anyone enlighten me on these 2 questions?
you can now use "Germans_convoy.png" for the german convoy symbol, and to activate it you need this in the map.properties file: map.useNation_convoyFlags=true
a fully complete map.properties now looks like this:
# POS2 by Veqryn
# below is an example of all map properties possible
#Color settings for the map
#values must be a 6 digit hex number
#LINEAR_LIGHT: will make it look like night time, set it on 0.2f
#DIFFERENCE: similar to linear light
#MULTIPLY: similar to linear light
#OVERLAY: makes map darker and grittier looking, very cool, set it on 0.2f
#NORMAL: makes you able to see territory colors under the map reliefs. ugly but good for new players, set it on 0.1-0.3f
#does the map have blending modes