any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

armorgyarados
I was playing what I believe was the triple a equivalent to the A&A deluxe set and that was really big, but I don't know of it was the AI settings or just me fooling around but after all was said and done it was only about 20 something rounds and it was all over in less than an hour. Are there any maps out there that like double or even triple (there isn't such a thing as too many in my book) the number of territories And sea zones? I took a look at I think it was "really big map" and it's WWII variants and it looks about as big as the deluxe version I physically have.

Thanks!

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

Eschelon
I created a free for all map a while back with 24 empires(6 opposing alliances of 4 empires each) and 900+ territories.  I never released it because the time between player turns was unbearable, even with each player controlling 4 different allied empires.  There were other issues as well involving the AI's not understanding everything I was trying to do with city construction and such.

It was a fun experiment in map making if nothing else.  Short form, DON'T DO IT (try to make a 900+ territory map for Triple A)!  Life is too short already...

As for WWII maps, I'm not that familiar with all of them, so I'll leave that to the WWII experts around here.

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

ArmorGyarados
but I want a game that takes weeks and weeks to finish lol especially since its all digital now and there is no clean up or needing to dedicate a large room just to keep a massive board set up. do you think you could release it with just standard A&A rules? I get that its unlikely but if you could that would be greatly appreciated by my friends and myself!

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

Cernel
If you want to play it yourself with AI, the answer is probably noone.

If you want to play without AI, with a bunch of close buddies, for an epic experience, TripleA have a few maps for which you won't possibly complain about them being too fast to finish:

"Napoleonic Empires: FFA 8 Player" (preinstalled), setting the victory condition to "Total Victory", in Game Option

"Domination 1901" (downloadable from depot)

The first you need to be 8 to play. The second it is a 3 players only, but you can play with many more people, as long as you share sides amongst teams. Also, in my opinion, the first one might be not very well balanced, overall (but I've never played it). The second one is considered to be well balanced (played only a couple of rounds of it; so, no clue myself).

The above are both FFA. There are some very big 1v1 maps but, in a 1v1 map, expecially if you are not super-experienced with it, it is going to finish fast anyway, because it will unbalaced itself in favour of somebody pretty soon, and I don't think you are going to keep playing on till conquering all territories on the map, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, "World At War" (downloadable from depot) is probably the longer lasting high quality 1v1 of TripleA. Due to added complexity, the "Fuel" variant by sneakingcoward is even much more painfully slower to play.

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

beelee
I think ultimate world is rather large and Total world war and WAW also

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

hepster
I'd have to go with WAW for the current game with the most overall territories.  TWW is big (in size) but doesn't really have all that many more territories than some of the other games.  Civil War: A House Divided is also up there in territory count.

As far as overall number of territories... I have yet to find an upper limit.  In the initial phases of developing Global Dominance I had about triple the number of territories as WAW and the map maker and (subsequently) the game functioned perfectly.

  The overall size of the map (as far as pixels) is really just a matter of what your pcs memory can handle with a drawing program.  With my new computer I was able to increase the canvas size dramatically.  In the current revisions of the GD map it is 12528 H x 27300 W.

Re: any maps out there with an outrageous amount of territories?

panguitch
Total World War is a large, well-polished map. 485 territories.
Civil War is huge and intricate. 645 territories.
For comparison, Napoleonic is pretty big at 289.

The Greyhawk map I've recently reworked has 323, with only three of those being impassable, and only 42 being water--so a lot of usable land. It has a 10-player free-for-all option. You mentioned playing D&D in another thread, so it may be of interest to you if you want some of that flavor.

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world