Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

We are considering deleting them, both the game files and the source code.

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

captaincrunch
I wouldn't miss Go or Checkers but Chess is a huge popular game across the world and maybe you can keep some classic Chess players here but it's no difference for me either way

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

Short aswer:

I'm sure noone will miss them.

Long answer:

Probably noone would miss them, but I really don't understand all this cleanup tendency of late. Unless they are a code problem of some sort, comon, just let them be and add King's Table too (the only game left in the unclassified).

I always loved the kind of chaotic / spontaneous growth / amateurish nature of TripleA.

(I would have suggested not to create Chess for TA; but I see no harm in having it)

As a matter of what those games need in order to look less ameteurish, if this is the reason for not having them, I would say the possibility of see them upside down; especially chess (I checked if it was possible to make an upside down mapsking for Chess, but nope).

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

Having read a post in a separate thread about the impact of these games on the code, I think they ought to go even if a few people (for some reason) want them. There are tons of places to play these games online anyway

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

aoun
I love playing all three of these games. But not on TripleA

Honestly there are many other platforms online that play better and have a larger player base. The few people who do play this on TripleA really shouldn't miss it either, since there is easy and free access online.

It's better to add in experimental games every patch so that developers have a larger base to test out their game version.
spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com : Red Night Saint fallen-nations.net : a.o.u.n. triple.sourceforge.net : aoun

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

BTW, you don't need to have a Chess code to be able to play Chess on TA. Just like in a boardgame, you can have a chess map and be able to go anywhere to anywhere (all pieces infrastructures destroyed upon capture and everything connected to everything), and be up to the players to look out for illegal moves (like in a board and better, cause you have the history you can go back checking any time).

Since this way you could have a nice graphic and an upside-down mapskin, I would say that such a free move Chess would be better than the one we have atm. It may be also kind of neat in a way it being truly boardgame fashion, with no restrinctions.

I may easily do it if there is any interest and I can find or be directed to a nice and free relief image and unit images for it, or with exactly the same graphic as the current chess, probably 200% zoomed (maybe not a good idea? what do you think?).

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

The Red Baron
I think it would be cool if they were removed temporarily while they were re-envisioned, and made not so hard-coded and more natural. I agree with Cernel's idea, but we could introduce some minor engine changes to allow enforcement of the rules (but really couldn't most of that be done with triggers?). I don't think they are played very often, but if we changed it to do it right, we could have some nice looking games to add to our repertoire.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

The Red Baron
It might also be cool to use an angled board like this (just a random one I found on Google):

with these basetiles:

Someone could make nice-looking wooden pieces, and then the game would just be some eye-candy for our screenshots page.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: Would anyone miss Checkers, Chess, or Go, if they were removed from TripleA?

these games, and the other misc games, are now all removed