World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward
This post was updated on .
dear veqryn,

i hope the naming is according your wishes.
also the properties section was taken over from pos2.
get it from:
https://sites.google.com/site/tripleamarshal/home/World_at_War_v3variant.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
if you want to use also relief tiles, copy it from waw.

ANY COMMENT IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

introduction:
inspired from SIEG's great waw map i made this v3 variant.
v3 ... v3 or aa50 rules
variant, because units, rules are slightly different.

adaptions:
paratroopers
land and airtransport
construction unit
bombing rules, fac, construction, bunker, aa can be bombed
canals updated
japan setup changed
turnorder to make it pbem suitable
units streamlined, symbols and features, divefighter
new sea straits handling, all are open, no land connection
a.s.o.

game notes:

Re: World at War v3variant

crazygerman
Are your game notes accurate? They mention neutral powers including Spain, Mideast, Greece, but i dont see any when I open the game.

If they are accurate, Im afraid to play as the axis. Factories being destroyed when you capture them will absolutley devastate the axis advance. So will PUs being destroyed instead of captured. I think AA guns shouldnt be destroyed by bombing or capture either. Factories costing 30 and needing a construction truck to build is too many resources IMO.

Also I would go back to Sieg's colors, just a personal preference, but I dont like playing as a purple country.
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward
purple for china ist the official World War II Pacific colour for chinese...

I tried to takeover the official colours for the nations which are used for standard maps.
if you like siegs colours (which are difficult to distinguish, specially for japan) you can make a skin for it...

and the balance is here, have played already and it works nice, due to transports are not in combat....
so axis has cheap divefighters and devastating subs and allies must build expensive ships...
PU balance is here with r5. So no PU capture is necessary.
also the buildup of cheap factories is not enhancing the game. it would be like playing "risk".

in this game strategic planning of reinforcments has highest priority, also interruption of supply lines.
so here your strategic plannings can come out totally. it challenges all triplea skills fully.
to place nowhere with only 15 pu a fac and pump out next round highly advanced units is not realistic and doesnt add to a strategic thinking.

I like to play the axis....
it plays almost like history....also with blitzkrieg due to transporting halftrack (was called historic "mule") and truck...

we can play if you want...

neutrals are in the next step.
like in WW2 NEW WORLD ORDER

Re: World at War v3variant

crazygerman
I started a game against myself. I wont have much time to play for a while though. Ill take your word that is is balanced, If you really did play it. Seeing that the beginning setup is almost identical I just thought that losing those factories would really hurt the axis. The new transports do hurt allies but also hurt Japan, who is really hurt by the lack of factories.

Yamamoto is limited to only buying in Tokio seems like it would really limit the pacific game. Expensive factories is fine buy me, I LOVE logistics. Although I do not see much factory buildup in the normal game. I would still enjoy having those factories in cities for Japan.
If you can only buy 10 units, it doesnt really matter how logistically good you are. You can only get 10 units a turn. And it costs Yammamoto 40 to get a second factory?

Just my opinion. The game notes should be corrected, i think anyone will agree with that :)
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward
- skin
if somebody likes the look of the sieg WAW, a skin can be easily made

- factories
hisaichi is also located at japan, totally 8+4.
yamamoto has 10. mostly for naval advance.

even if you give a nation 20 for production, it needs also the income to use the production capacity.

even 10 subs costs 70 pus, so 10 at tokio should be enough for it.
but it can be also increased to 12 or so if somebody likes it...
the us has 40 production limit and can also not use them fully.

on the other side you must also see, that when us takes the phillipines it has also no production capacity there, so for US its even more problematic. hawaii also decreased to 2. everything has to come from francisco. its more a pain for US than japan.

- game philosophy
this setup claims to be most historic.
v2 setup with factory takeover are like playing "risk". simplified and strategically easy.
here you have to think that taking a place is nice, but do you have also the reinforcements to hold it ??
to build up a production infrastructure for troops takes normally years, so you have to think carefully, if you need it. a lot of material can be lost there.

Re: World at War v3variant

crazygerman
This post was updated on .
I dont use Yammamoto as a pure naval power. He can do some major damage on land, especially since he can clear spaces for hisachi in russia. And I will hold an island if I take it, because I usually keep massive logistic chains. Because my Yammamoto produces many many land units. I dont find any game of WaW at all like risk because noone I have ever played against builds that many factories. In NWO America had a tendency to factory spam Spain, but not here.

Real life logistics do take years sometimes. But this game shouldnt.
Its one thing to be able to look and plan ahead. I feel like some areas I am expected to be psychic.

The game is radically different than WaW. I also do not see the balance, certain axis fronts, like Africa or pacific islands, cant benefit from your new reinforcment strategy. Especially with transports so vulnerable.
I cant see Australia being threatned at all. They can max out infantry on their two north cities the first two rounds and laugh if Japan tries to get them. I would be astonished if India fell. Most game deciding fronts are fought closer to the allies than the axis. Germany can survive and adapt to this. Its harder for the other axis. Yammamoto should have a goal to hold the phillipines, and probably hold more than that too.

IMO you shouldnt break the production balance and justify it by breaking the unit balance. Disturbing the balance here isnt justified by disturbing the balance somewhere else for the opposite team. It makes a difficult to play game. These are all mean as constructive criticisms. I would like to hear someone else's commemts on this. Russia/Germany front is well done.

I think you should consider moving Romania in turn order. Its current location makes it a lame duck.
Big bombers should probably be red dots too,
You might wanna consider removing some factories that are pointless now, since they are destroyed first turn. All neutral factories are now completely pointless.
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: World at War v3variant

hey sneaking,
i forgot if i uploaded this to the repo or not,

but after you make your next version, or balance tweaks, let me know and I'll upload this to the repository and add it to the downloader xml

thx,
veq

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward
yes sir...

Re: World at War v3variant

Slavic_Dog
Was enjoying playing your variant, but had an error on turn four.
Looks like Hisaichi was trying to buy BigArmour that he doesn't have
a unit icon for.  Same for Yamamoto.  I removed the BuyBigArmour
lines from the *.xml, but there is one error i cannot fix - hoping you can..

I can't find anywhere in the *.xml that allows the Anzacs to have BigBomber, but
yet it gives me an error on turn four which is when the advanced production is
supposed to kick in.

What am i missing?  Thanks and looking forward to playing this mod
when fixed....

Re: World at War v3variant

Rolf Larsson
Finally uploaded, sorry took a long time.

I can´t say much about the mod itself, just tested with ai, but I think beeing listed under quality maps is at least justifed by the good base map, while I guess all you added here adds to the gameexperience as well and makes it a quality map.
We now have custom dice!

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward

sorry, but made a last improvement:

World_At_War_Variants.zip
is replaced by
World_At_War_v3variants.zip

reason:
- World at War - v3 Variant Japan
Yamamoto is exchanged with Japan...
- also naming to "World at War - v3 Variant ..."

so please delete
World_At_War_Variants.zip
and replace it with
World_At_War_v3variants.zip
png remains, text slightly modified, see below.

thank you
sneaking

PS:
a modification with neutrals and politics will also come later

and following changes will also come:
WW2 NEW WORLD ORDER
WW2Phillipines
reason: both mods of sieg's original maps uses old rulesets and need an overhaul to the new ruleset.
these are the 3 map mods delivered by "sneakingcoward".

1. download link:

2. NEW TEXT:
------------
v3 Variants of World At War (original map by Sieg)
Mod done by sneakingcoward / [hidden email]

Includes 2 Mods of WORLD AT WAR:
World at War - v3 Variant                 (with Japan as 2 parties Yamamoto and Hisaichi)
World at War - v3 Variant Japan       (with Japan as only 1 combined party)

The variants use v3 rules and includes paratroopers, air+sea+land transports, constructions, ability to destroy structures with strategic bombing, and fighter escorting and intercepting.

Due to the wide variaty of possibilities its more a game for experienced players.
Specially the supply strategy is crucial for this mod with air+sea+land transport units.
------------

Finally uploaded, sorry took a long time.

I can´t say much about the mod itself, just tested with ai, but I think beeing listed under quality maps is at least justifed by the good base map, while I guess all you added here adds to the gameexperience as well and makes it a quality map.
We now have custom dice!

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/World-at-War-v3variant-tp6512369p7583014.html
To unsubscribe from World at War v3variant, click here.
NAML

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward

 the final download link is:

To unsubscribe from World at War v3variant, click here.
NAML

Re: World at War v3variant

Rolf Larsson
Ok, renaming the map will cause trouble for everyone with an older version.
Additional to this, v3? There is scrambling, intercepting and a lot more in it, so definitely not v3 rules. Maybe most of your custom rules are based on v3, but that seems more like a comment in gamenotes or description to me, than beeing reflected in the map name.

Any changes within the map itself?
We now have custom dice!

Re: World at War v3variant

sneakingcoward
ok, map name stays...

changes are name switch to Japanese...to keep it similar to standard maps.

2. NEW TEXT:
------------
v3 Variants of World At War (original map by Sieg)
Mod done by sneakingcoward / [hidden email]

Includes 2 Mods of WORLD AT WAR:
World at War - v3 Variant                 (with Japan as 2 parties Yamamoto and Hisaichi)
World at War - v3 Variant Japan       (with Japanese as only 1 combined party)

The variants use v3 rules and includes paratroopers, air+sea+land transports, constructions, ability to destroy structures with strategic bombing, and fighter escorting and intercepting.

Due to the wide variaty of possibilities its more a game for experienced players.
Specially the supply strategy is crucial for this mod with air+sea+land transport units.
------------

Ok, renaming the map will cause trouble for everyone with an older version.
Additional to this, v3? There is scrambling, intercepting and a lot more in it, so definitely not v3 rules. Maybe most of your custom rules are based on v3, but that seems more like a comment in gamenotes or description to me, than beeing reflected in the map name.

Any changes within the map itself?
We now have custom dice!

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/World-at-War-v3variant-tp6512369p7583074.html
To unsubscribe from World at War v3variant, click here.
NAML

Re: World at War v3variant

Rolf Larsson
Lamespace was overloaded yesterday, tried a few times.
Now updated.
We now have custom dice!