World War 1, year 1914

So there is a new board game out, 1914

You can see the map image here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fw9g2e

And the game manual here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/rules/2013_ww1_1914.pdf

I am willing to code all the engine features, but first I need someone to "draw the territory border image" (that will get turned into the basetiles)

There are multiple ways to do it.

I think a paint program like Paint.NET or photoshop or something, you could create a second layer and draw the territory borders on top of it.

But the end result should look something like the attachment I added below (of ww2v3's basetile image).

It doesn't have to be colored, but the Border lines must be pure Black.

Anti-aliasing should be turned off.  In other words, it should be pixelly, (no fuzzy lines).  The territory borders should be 1 pixel thick.

ww2v3_basetiles.png

I will not start on anything until after someone traces the territory border lines for us.

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Rolf Larsson
check the image link to sendspace, I got something like blabla.png.exe!

We now have custom dice!

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Try it again Rolf, I got this: (scaled down from screen snippet of 12.5 mb file)
[image removed to save space]

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Rolf Larsson
was just some bullshit sendspace wanted to add, downloadaccelerator or stuff, however my antivirus software stopped it. Just away with the checkbox and all fine, sorry.
We now have custom dice!
Cap

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Cap
Hello Guys,

Does this map strictly have Italy as an Allied Power in the beginning or are they neutral?

Also, does this map have cavalry units? I saw Larry's plans months ago and he didn't add them. If not, can they be added like artillery units are added to AA Classic and Iron Blitz as an option like "AA Guns always on"?

Re: World War 1, year 1914

wirkey
You are way too fast. First, someone need to actually make that map. After that Veqryn will code all necessary stuff for the engine. Just looked through the rules and couldn't find anything new. After that, the xml has to be coded. If that has been done, you are free to make a mod with cavalry units and italy neutral or adding Japan or whatever you like.

Re: World War 1, year 1914

eurofabio
The land battles lasts 1 round. This is a huge difference. No more fight until at least one of the sides died.

Page 19:

"If there is still at least one unit from each side in the territory, it remains contested".

wirkey wrote
Just looked through the rules and couldn't find anything new.

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Zim Xero
OK, that gets my interest, since it has been one of my big requests for TripleA, to have combat round limits as an option.  I dont have time to do a lot, but I'll definitely help if it will work to accomplish that.

Veqryn, do you prefer the map to retain the exact diamond shape inside of a rectangle?

Re: World War 1, year 1914

I don't really see any way to not have the diamond shape.

I guess you could use ww2v3's basetile image, cut away the parts that don't exist, and redraw the territory borders.
Or you could just trace the diamond image above.

The picture above is a  little distorted around the corners, because it was taken with a camera.  Straight lines have become curved, etc.  Feel free to correct it, or not correct it, while making the map.

I will ask that you do not expand or shrink either image though (either ww2v3 or the diamond one), because both have a very nice size for 75% sized units.

thanks,

Re: World War 1, year 1914

eurofabio
Another huge difference:

(same pag 19)

"Step 2. Determine Air Supremacy
If fighters are present on both sides, there must be an air battle to determine who has air supremacy . Each side rolls one die for each of his or her fighters. For each die roll of 2 or less, one enemy fighter is removed (after both players have rolled).  Unlike the land battle itself, the air supremacy battle continues until one side has established air supremacy by eliminating all the enemy’s fighters.  Additional rounds of fire are conducted until one or both sides have no fighters remaining"

Re: World War 1, year 1914

eurofabio
Another good one:

"Step 5. Remove Casualties
Starting with the attacker, the players each remove one unit from the contested territory for each remaining hit scored against them.
Each player can select any unit in their attacking or defending force as a casualty, including fighters.  However, at no time can an army not have at least one infantry unit present. In other words, if a player has one infantry, one tank and one artillery unit left and is required to remove two of these three units, the infantry unit cannot be selected as one of the casualties because this  would leave him or her with no infantry.  Infantry belonging to a friendly power in the same territory do not fulfill this requirement."

Re: World War 1, year 1914

eurofabio
Sorry for that many posts, but one more change:

"However, attacking (but not defending) tanks have a special ability to absorb hits.  You, as the attacker, reduce the number of hits scored against you by the number of tanks you have in the battle (to a minimum of zero).  For each tank you have, you remove one die that scored a hit from your side of the battle board"

Note that this is NOT two-hit. Look the description of battleships:

"Battleships can take two hits.  On the first hit, a battleship is placed on its side rather than removed.   A second hit will cause it to be removed. A damaged battleship can only be repaired during the Purchase and Repair Units phase of the owning power’s turn"

Now this new ability can give us some thoughts:

IF Veq code this feature in a way that can we define how many rounds a battle can lasts, instead hard code 1 round, the new ability "absorb hits" should be used just once or many rounds as the battle lasts?

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Zim Xero
Well, that seems like too much absorption already, but its not the goal here to change the rules.  Being a WWI game, it seems to me that trenches should be big absorbers, with an extra absorption hit going to whichever side has tank superiority(more tanks).  Ill give Larry a call.... lol.

Re: World War 1, year 1914

eurofabio
Wait a minute...from Berlin to Paris = 5 territories, from Berlin to Moscow = 4?

Re: World War 1, year 1914

A long distance from berlin to paris, than from berlin to moscow or st petersburg is probably the "main" problem with our current "great war" map.
It is unfortunate to see the mistake repeated.

still, lets focus on one thing at a time: the basetiles first

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Map remastered for best alignment and minimum border extensions to compensate for the angularity of the photograph.  Ready to begin tracing layer now.

The whole map image is 3200x3200.  Image below shown at 25% scale.

Re: World War 1, year 1914

A few comments:

1) In the base tile map, I rounded Maine, USA a bit... it was barely recognizeable.
2) How far in the map should I go... Centers and polygons?
3) We have an issue with Constantinople.  Should the northern half be run as an attached island
    without unit placement possible?... or integrated into Bulgaria?

ADDED CONTENT:  recomended Sea Zone number decoration set
Number_Decorations.zip

Re: World War 1, year 1914

I'm sure it is fine.

Can you post the full image so I can have a look?

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Rolf Larsson
You can have both parts of Constantinople as one territory and allow placement in both.
We now have custom dice!

Re: World War 1, year 1914

Base Tile Map with Alpha Background: 1914baseTileAlpha.zip