Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Administrator
Are you the author of any of these maps: http://github.com/triplea-maps?  (note, at the time of this writing 22 of 102 maps have been uploaded, check back hourly for more additions)

Instead of posting zip files and requesting map updates, map authors will be able to update their maps whenever they please. Map releases will still involve game engine admins, but they will no longer be *required* for simple map updates.

To claim maps, you'll need to create a github account. Please enable two factor authentication so your account is secure, and then submit a ticket with a list of maps you authored: http://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/issues/new

Once that is done, I'll add you to the appropriate admin teams and you'll be able to then push updates to your maps!  Step by step instructions on how to get set up and how to make updates can be found here: https://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/wiki/Map-Makers:-Setup-Instructions

Whenever you push an update, an automatic map zip will be created that anyone can then download. You won't ever have to deal with zipping and unzipping of map files again : )  Nor tracking emails, nor file hosting, things are gonna get simpler. For example, the latest Tutorial map is always available at: http://github.com/triplea-maps/Tutorial/releases, and a zip file is created and posted to that URL whenever the map changes.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Have you noticed that it is changing all "II" to "Ii"?

EDIT: Just noticed that it is unavoidable, as all and only stuff after a "_" is uppercase; "Ii" instead of "II" looks a bit silly but no biggie. Might be worth it to allow having uppercase also not at start or after "_" only, if it would be no problem, maybe? For example, if sb wants to have a map called "Invasion_USA", instead of "Invasion_Usa"? Also noticed that "WW2v3" becomes "Ww2v3"; again, no biggie.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

What about folders having inside stuff from multiple people, for example, in the:
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Post-here-to-request-having-your-map-on-the-Map-Repository-uploaded-or-updated-tp7058428.html;cid=1444752322939-595
About 1 month and a half ago I asked to add a couple of mods of mine to WW2v3_Variants, and about 6 months ago I suggest to add a mod of mine to 270BC.

(currently no TA folders have any xml made by me, except that I modified the 270BC xml a little bit, but that's Veqryn's; as long as DoctorChe doesn't come back, that is)

An automated way to standardize the folder/repo name has benefits. There is room for change, though it is a longer conversation. I started a thread around that topic here: http://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/issues/3

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Cernel wrote
What about folders having inside stuff from multiple people
Then we have multiple map owners.

Each map will have two teams assigned to it:
- map owner team
- map admin team

The map owners will have full admin control of their team. The intent is to be quite permissive and grant access to people if they made non-trivial contributions to a map. Map owners will be able to fully self-manage their team, adding new members on their own.

The map admin team is support - allows for automation and bulk updates. The triplea builder bot is a member of that team:  http://github.com/tripleabuilderbot?tab=activity

The structure of the teams is very intentional and brings up an important point about how the workflows have been designed.  I've been trying very hard to keep those workflows really simple and to reduce interactions with map admins to only be one-time setup and not require any ongoing support. So once the team has been set up, it can be completely autonomous.  Said in another way, we just pulled all the stops out, map development is going from a rough country road to the Autobahn - buckle up.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Did not take me long to change my mind. All lower case for repository names is golden, simple, easy, and no "Ww" or "Usa" or "Ii" oddities. Now, keep in mind the actual map name is in XML, so the repository name is just the name the repository has - most game players should never see that name.

I'm currently recreating all maps to have the updated naming convention. Also there are a couple of other minor fixes while doing so. I expect all map repositories to be up over the next 4-8 hours while the automation cranks away.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Cernel
I agree.

The last oddity left is for those mapmakers who chose the uppercase to separate words.

For example:

StarWarsGalacticWar

is going to become:

starwarsgalacticwar

Anyway, I always believed that using the uppercase to define the end of the words was outright wrong, so I wouldn't bother with these few (I assume that it is not possible to rename not-preloaded folders, otherwise people downloading them would end up with both the new and the old map). Anyway, as you said, it is just the folder name (that in the old system the users saw only upon downloading the maps; duno about now).

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Administrator
StarWarsGalacticWar would actually become "star_wars_galactic_war".

The name normalization rule are more complex then lower case everything. The way maps were named across the 110+ of them, it was pretty much all over the board. The name normalization rules were effectively three things:
- when there is a lower case letter followed by an upper case, split them with an underscore
- replace all upper case letters with lower case
- replace all spaces with underscores

In effect there are really two naming rules enforced by this. Underscores split words, and second, everything is lower case.

There were two goals behind this. First, spaces are a pain to deal with so getting rid of those is very helpful. The second one is to try and have reasonably memorable and consistent ways to name folders. This makes it nice so you know easily the name of a repo rather than having to refer to a naming rule sheet to tell you exactly how the map name was spelled.

Here is the exact bash-fu that did the name transformation:

echo "StarWarsGalacticWar.zip" | sed 's/.zip$//' | \
                sed 's/\([a-z]\)\([A-Z]\)/\1_\2/g' | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | \
                sed "s/  */_/g" | sed 's|^\./||'

I then went through and helped one or two examples by hand. 1915Lebowski was an example where an underscore was needed around the numbers.

The game engine uses the data in XMLs, it does not use the name of the map folder. When the game engine tries to load maps, it looks at every file underneath the map directory root. That means you can rename the maps in your map folder, shouldn't change anything in the game chooser in the game.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Cernel
So far, it was problematic changing not-preloaded map's names, aside from case only, because, for example, if you changed StarWarsGalacticWar to star_wars_galactic_war, people already having StarWarsGalacticWar, and downloading the new star_wars_galactic_war, would have ended up with the old map not being overwritten, thus keeping both the new and the obsolete folder inside their maps folders.

I guess now stuff works differently and, upon downloading the new one, the old map gets always deleted, even if named differently?

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Also, how can this not collide with the mapname specified in the xml.

For example, you will have:
property name="mapName" value="StarWarsGalacticWar" editable="false"

Are all mapNames, also the ones only changing uppercases, inside the xml being changed?

I see that inside the xml of the now "star_wars_tatooine_war" you have:

property name="mapName" value="StarWarsTatooineWar" editable="false"

But this is true also for all maps having only cases changes. Wouldn't be better (or needed!) all to match exactly, cases too?

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Administrator
Check back now @Cernel. I'll need to take a look specifically at the upgrade case, but otherwise the scripting fixes the mapName property in the XML. So the repo and the map XML name will match. Note, there is a second XML property for the display name that can be arbitrary (and is displayed as the map name in the map download screen).

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Ancient Total War
Pacific Challenge
Stellar Forces
Fantastic Forces

The first two are finished.  The third I remade but encountered a bug I could not fix, after redoing all of the graphics.  Fantastic Forces.. I am going to redo using random starting territory positions, once MP3 is supported.  Besides playing Uncharted Waters online some,  I've been extremely busy irl for the last 3 years.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

ice
mods created:
domination1901
ultimateworld revised
world at war40
rome total war

mods updated:
nwo lebowski
waw

Administrator
ice, need your github user name to add you to maps.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Same Zim Xero, need your github user name to add you to those maps.

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

ZjelcoP
Dday 2 I created. Might improve this one in the future.

Regular Dday has some issues, as someone once combined version 1 and 2 though they are pretty different with seperate map and relief tiles. Playing they get mixed up.
If you add me to both I will sort them out.

Both Dday(1) and Arnhem look very good but have not much play value.
Just some units, no PU's, building, targets, capitals, victory conditions etc.

Both should be in C-section or some modder-resources section.

Mod of Arnhem: Operation Market garden http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/W-I-P-Mod-of-Arnhem-Market-Garden-tp7583330p7584725.html (1 player scenario) I participated on, and plan to test and fix it if needed.

Can I just make a repository under triplea-maps myself for this or you need to do that?

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Administrator
You should be able to make new repositories under the triplea-maps org. If not, you can create one under your personal space and then request an  ownership transfer to the triplea-maps org.

I added you to d-day and d-day2 @ZjelcoP, along with the new Operation Market Garden.
I ran Market Garden Zip file through the upload script, here is the new repository:
http://github.com/triplea-maps/operation_market_gardenhttps://github.com/triplea-maps/operation_market_garden

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

GitHub name:
FrostionAAA

Maps:
star_wars_galactic_war
star_wars_tatooine_war
caribbean_trade_war

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

Zim Xero
Github name: zimxero

MAPS:
Ancient Total War
Pacific Challenge
Stellar Forces
Fantastic Forces

Re: Which Maps Have you Created? Looking to connect map authors with their maps

aaalafayette
Administrator
@Zim Xero - zimxero team created and is admin of:
https://github.com/triplea-maps/total_ancient_war
https://github.com/triplea-maps/pacific_challenge
https://github.com/triplea-maps/stellar_forces

Fantastic Forces, I could not find that map zip. Do you have a copy of it?
12