What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

aaalafayette
Administrator
Inside of the releases: https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/TripleA/1_8_0_5/

If you're a mac user, how much trouble would it cause you if we no longer included the dmg file (triplea_1_8_0_5_mac.dmg) and instead had people use the all platforms zip (triplea_1_8_0_5_all_platforms.zip)?

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

SomeMacUser
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

aaalafayette
Thanks for the feedback. I think we have a clutter of files in the platform zip, even from just the developer point of view let alone the perspective of a player who has just opened up the packaged zip (which can get cleaned up even further).

If we fixed the clutter, so it was clear there was something you could double click to launch the app, would that help solve most of the problem? In this case I would expect the install process to be double click the zip, drag the tripleA versioned folder into Applications, update launcher short cuts (would need to be done today), and then click the launcher.

To be clear on the motivation, a DMG file breaks the continuous build pipeline by requiring a Mac OS to build. This causes us trouble as we have to find someone to manually build the files. What more, we need specific code to build the DMG file, and this code nor the DMG are tested. Results in a back and forth between those testing the build files and those tweaking how they are built. Last, there is extra burden to test, since the DMG is different from other build artifacts. Arguably all testing done on the other artifacts effectively needs to be redone again for the DMG file. So, the DMG file is *really* expensive.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

aaalafayette
Administrator
Addendum to last post. That "double click" entity would be a .app file, so it should have a tripleA icon and everything. The all platforms package will include that one day. In the meantime we can probably add something else that is obviously double clickable.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

ubernaut
there is almost no difference between dmg and zip unless there is an actual installer app from the user perspective the only advantage that dmg offers is the checksum.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

The Red Baron
The only thing that would be concerning would be if all users needed to open terminal to play.  Few people would get it installed without asking on the forums. The DMG, however is just as good as a .zip with the .app inside, IMO, if that is easier. Anyways, I do feel your pain
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

We will definitely still keep creating a DMG with a mac App bundle in it.

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

ubernaut
i know you can zip an app too, are you saying that you cannot bundle the app anyway without a mac in the pipeline?

Re: What if we stop making the Mac DMG installer file?

aaalafayette
Administrator
Bernat has been playing around with InstallBuilder by BitRock: http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/

good news:  It promises to be able to make basic DMG files on any OS, and more customized DMG's require a Mac.

Without installbuilder we can still create a .app file today without a mac. The .app + zip seems to be very sufficient. The DMG is a nice luxury. Seems installbuilder will give us that for very cheap.

If it's not cheap, I would really ask @Veqryn to provide reasons why we would definitely continue making DMGs, given such a high cost and almost no return. For example, first responses were, we need a DMG! Now the consensus seems to be that since we don't take advantage of a DMG beyond it being pretty much a fancy zip, that a zip plus app file would be pretty equivalent.