WWII Revised Randomized

crazy_german
Ever get tired of having all those tanks and fighters stack up as a game goes on? Well I have a solution for you!
Here is a simple mod I made and have played a couple times over the past couple days.
ww2v2_randomized.xml

Its the Revised map, with one not so small change. All casualties are chosen randomly! This was handled by making all units attack using AA strikes.

There are the following accidental results of switching to AA attacks
-Artillery cannot support
-Bombarding units fire last
-Sub casualties will always return fire

Otherwise the map is identical to Revised. This is a warm up of sorts for another map I've been designing. Just wanted to share in case anyone was interested in adding a little variety to what they play.

I'd love some feedback on this map, and the randomly chosen casualty idea in general. There are definitely some balance issues on this (harder for Axis to win)

Re: WWII Revised Randomized

The Red Baron
An interesting idea, I'd say. I'll have to wait till the weekend to take it for a spin, but I always wanted to try something like this. However, I'm not a huge fan of "pure" randomness. I would rather have certain units target certain other units in particular. For example, naval fighters would target battleships on a 1/6 in addition to their regular roll to represent the sitting ducks that battleships really were for carrier-borne aircraft in WWII.

AT guns are also awesome at wearing down the more powerful units in the same way as AA guns do for planes. I actually think both units could be made stronger, but that's another discussion... "Random" means that you can attack one infantry with two infantry and a bomber and lose your bomber. Not something most people want to swallow.

Otherwise, I like and agree with your intentions, that there should be a small chance of more powerful units dying, but taking away cannon-fodder completely would destroy the base of the A&A battlesystem.
Anyways...
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: WWII Revised Randomized

crazy_german
Glad to see someone is interested! Unfortunately, I've realized beyond a doubt that aircraft is really bad right now. Your airforce gets whittled down so quickly in small land combats. It is quite silly to see Germany's bomber fall when trading Karelia with Russia. This really hurts Germany, and gives the allies a pretty hefty advantage. I might relaunch it with altered prices to try and reflect this.

The goal was kind of to force players to replenish their air and tanks, since a well played nation will often only take infantry as casualties in combat until the final battle occurs.

I was thinking of allowing only certain units to hit aircraft (AA guns, fighters, and some naval units) to hit aircraft, but aircraft would be limited to attacking once or twice. So an army without fighters or AA is very vulnerable to getting raided by aircraft, but the planes can't just attack over and over again until everything is dead.

I could do something similar for tanks, but at that point this mod is becoming quite advanced. The goal was to make a quick mod, designed to see what the engine would let me do.
Correctly crazy, disingenuously German