WWII - Nazi Threat

CocoBZ
This post was updated on .
Current version: 0.9

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?cc519enp1x98sej

This map is based on the E3 map for Hearts of Iron 2 and is for a big number of players (up to 16). The scenario starts in 1939 and the factions are these (until I introduce politics):

Allies: Poland, UK, France, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Romania, Yugoslavia, Greece, Canada (the U.S. stay neutral, so won't be available for the moment)

Axis: Germany, Russia, Italy, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

wrigleyfield
the rapid share was a dead end for me, maybe cause i dont have an account there.

i was just thinking i wish there was a map with more depth in the atlantic. there's a few connection points i can't make out but it's looks interesting. let me know if you want feedback.

questions
how many moves can a navy move
about how much WWII time occurs in a round
where are the factories
est. playing time

those and a million others you may or may not have or need to have figured out yet.

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

ice
think u need bigger seazones for the north, land isnt that far appart there in reality

otherwise looks like a cool map

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

Blitzkrieg428
looks cool.  Just a couple questions/comments.
what kinds of units will be in it?
Finland is going to be axis in the 1941/42 maps right?

Vicy france is neutral?  I would think it would be under German occupation.  Was it a balance issue or was it neutral during WWII?

By 1941 I think the italians had control over French north-Africa.

and did Italy actually have EL Alamein in 42?  Am I maybe getting the location of El Alamein wrong?

anyway lloks cool.  i'm curious to try it out when you're finished.

"Die Russen sind ein kluges Volk. Sie haben die Kunst des Krieges von uns gelernt."
--GeneralFeldMarschal Hermann Hoth

"The Russians are a clever people.  They have learned the art of war from us."
--Field Marshal Hermann Hoth

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

CocoBZ
At the moment they are pretty the default units (added bunkers, though). That will be until I decide to personalize the units for each country. My biggest issue (after the placement) is with the colours of the units, because I used U-boat's unit compile which included only 13 colours. (so, for instance the Slovaks and the Hungarians will have the same colour, that's because I think that people would rather control them both)

Yes, Finland is Ally only in 1939.

I'll keep Vichy France neutral because of balance, indeed. And French north-Africa was French, although I might change that (there aren't many PUs in that area).

About El Alamein, I'm not sure whether Italians had it or not, but seeing this map, I decided it would be better that way.

I reuploaded it on megaupload, it should work now. Remember that it has no units placed at all, only factories.

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

ice
to my knowledge finland was attacked by russia in 1939, and thus gained automaic axis status, maybe wasnt official ally of ger in that year not sure. russia as axis would make an impossible scenario imho

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

CocoBZ
Finland didn't get Axis status in 1939 due to the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact. Only from 1941 we can speak of an Axis Finland.

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

Blitzkrieg428
cool.  again, looks great. how much have you completed so far?
"Die Russen sind ein kluges Volk. Sie haben die Kunst des Krieges von uns gelernt."
--GeneralFeldMarschal Hermann Hoth

"The Russians are a clever people.  They have learned the art of war from us."
--Field Marshal Hermann Hoth

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

Blitzkrieg428
yeah he's right, Finland didn't actually ally with the axis until Germany broke the non-aggression pact with Russia.  until then Russia was an Axis power and so finland would have still been allies.  In fact Finland was actually more closely affiliated with the allies until 1941.  Finland allied with Germany primarily to gain its lost land and its old ancestral lands of Karelia.  That's why i'm guessing they were hesitant to hit leningrad in 42-44.
"Die Russen sind ein kluges Volk. Sie haben die Kunst des Krieges von uns gelernt."
--GeneralFeldMarschal Hermann Hoth

"The Russians are a clever people.  They have learned the art of war from us."
--Field Marshal Hermann Hoth

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

U-boat
I've been meaning to update that compile. Some of the colors are a little weak, and a lot of units haven't been added.

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

CocoBZ
Sorry for not posting for so long, but I went through a period full of exams, so the status of my work is quite the same. Fortunately, tomorrow is the last day before the summer holiday and I will resume working at this map on Monday. :D

P.S.: I decided to double the cost of units, because otherwise one would be able to fully replace his army in around 3 turns, which I find unrealistic. If anyone thinks this is too radical, please tell me :)

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

can you host it somewhere else, i can't access this...

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

CocoBZ
Good news! I've retaken up work on this map and now I released version 0.9 (see first post). You'll probably notice the small number of units; I intend it to stay that way.

Now my main concern is implementing politics in this map in order to eliminate weird alliances (especially USSR - Germany) and to include USA in the game.

Re: WWII - Nazi Threat

wargamer
Glad to know you are back at it.

I like the look of the map, including the regionalization and scale.  Downloaded it (from your link  in your OP) and started playing it (me vs. AI).  Have a few comments and questions.

1) The white numbers for # of units of neutral powers is difficult to read.

2) On a similar note, some of the PU values in some territories, are not very visible, e.g.: Munchen and Thessaloniki are the most egregious stand-outs, although values in some of the other objective and capitol territories are also take some scrutiny to figure out -- and this is with units not showing.

3)  You realize that by doubling all unit costs that it can be difficult to spend all PUs and that at least one is a write-off if one has an odd number of PUs in a round.

4)  Why the paucity of units?  I can understand, perhaps, wanting fewer than the number in NWO and its variants, but just one German Panzer unit, and fewer infantry on the Polish front than the Poles themselves have?  Besides being extremely ahistorical, it also skews the game dynamics/balance.

If the fewer number of units is meant to represent pre-war conditions, and a military build up is intended before hostilities are expected to break out, that would be one thing; however, you state that the game starts in 1939, so this doesn't seem to be the case.

5) Given the smaller number of units, the relatively smaller scale of territories, and the fairly small number of industrial centers, it is hard for the Germans to even produce units and get them to the Polish front.  As is, it is excruciatingly slow to develop an attack on Warsaw, and would take several (3 or 4) turns for the Germans to build up an adequate force to take Poland without a prolonged, multi-round battle that would wipe out the bulk of the attacking German force.  Even moving most of the stack of German inf. in Wien to BRNO for the starting position would help to alleviate this particular issue.  Doubling movement rates would be another way of addressing it.

Similarly, it seems that a movement of two is awfully slow for naval movement in the Atlantic.  Four turns to go from Boston to Portsmouth seems like a glacial pace.

Just some thoughts from a relative neophyte to TripleA.  But they are issues that became apparent right away in playing the first couple of turns of this map/scenario.