WW1 Map Ideas

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

Cernel
On the naval part, I like the Transport image and the Dreadnought looks neat too (tho I surely suggest it being called Battleship, not Dreadnought), but two things:

1. Why not Destroyer???

2. I suggest you include a txt note in which you tell what each unit is representing, or, better, another folder, in which all units are labeled like "UnitName_ImageName_Frostion01". I always hate using a unit that I don't know what it represents, and I'm often upset at seeing wildly wrong units being spuriously used as nation specific ones (there were many cases, in WAW, for example); moreover, some might still be good as WW2 units (like a Queen Elizabeth class battleship).
Also, consider having a siluette of the unit and the name of what it is representing in Notes tab; I think that would be neat, and give the game a pro cut.

Also, I can't really imagine how you can represent the Battlecruiser, since the English and German ones are very different concepts. I'd rather suggest giving the Battlecruiser to the British only, and consider all German capital ships (comprising the German battlecruisers) as just Battleships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_warfare_of_World_War_I
One class of ship that appeared just before the war was the battlecruiser. There were two schools of thought on battlecruiser design: British and German. The British designs were armed like their heavier dreadnought cousins, but deliberately lacked armor to save weight in order to improve speed. The concept was that these ships would be able to outgun anything smaller than themselves, and run away from anything larger. The German designs opted to trade slightly smaller main armament (11 or 12 inch guns compared to 12 or 13.5 inch guns in their British rivals) for speed, while keeping relatively heavy armor. They could operate independently in the open ocean where their speed gave them room to maneuver, or alternately as a fast scouting force in front of a larger fleet action.

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

Anything more on the news front?  You've gone quite silent now.

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

crazy_german
It seems everytime I say something about a specific time to release, life's shit hits the fan again

I've had some unexpected changes at work, which will keep me busy for a while, IDK how long. I promise I will not let Frostion's beautiful art or the input of others go to waste, but I can't say when the map will be released (but it will happen!)

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

hepster
That's unfortunate.  I have been looking forward to seeing this project come to light.

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

Oh where oh where has the little kraut gone... oh where oh where could he be?

Re: WW1 Map Ideas

crazy_german
hepster wrote
Oh where oh where has the little kraut gone... oh where oh where could he be?
I have returned, now with more free time. But, I see I have come back just in time for this forum to be closed. I will create a thread in the new forums, this project is still alive.