WORLD AT WAR 1940

ice
available for download soon in the download depot

reason for this mod is that as a bigmap player i find waw awesome but toooo slow, therefor i tried to simplify things wich will speed up the game greatly, i would say 30-40 % but still keep the fun of the original, i choose 1940 setup and tried to make it as historicaly as i could find it to be (ofcource it needs to be playable so ballance comes first)

biggest changes:

-turnorder
-units simplified and reballanced
-less capitals
-reballanced production all over the world
-totaly new units setup and changed ownership to early 1940
-latest update: added bunkers back to the game

ill let u know when its ready to download, for the meantime feel free to ask me to host it so that u can take a savegame of it

feel free to discuss anything, new ideas are always welcome

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

Rolf Larsson
uploaded

a few comments:

You should not use the term 1940 probably, cause people might think that the very fictional World at War now is somewhat historical

World at War is one of the better maps, so why not do a serious historical approach.

Denmark and Norway neutral, indicates late March, early April 1940, but:
- Russia is at war, Finland is at war (Russia-Finnland Winterwar just ended march 1940), Russia going to war by itself is estimated for mid/late 1942.
- Romania is at war/allied  (nov1940),
- Italy is at war/allied (june1940 along with German troops and territories in Northern-Africa),
- Thailand at war/allied (december 1941)
- Japan (december 1941) only at war with China before
- Usa is at war (december 1941)
etc.

all this can be quite easily adjusted with politics (check Global 1940) and a few triggers that would for example, set Russia at war after 8-10? rounds automatically and Usa after 12-14? rounds, donĀ“t know the gamepace here. All those of course with adjusting unitsetup and income regulation.

Maybe you want to consider territory renaming, Checheslovakia for example(should be Czechoslovakia anyway), which is purely Hungary and maybe Slovakia, cause Czech part did no longer exist at that time.
Panama etc.
Territory names and PU images could improve the appearance significantly.

Just some thoughts, now that it is easy to change relationships, have politics etc.
We now have custom dice!

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

ice
thanks, wel bout the historical part, seig is a very good mapmaker but not the best historicus, so think my version comes much much close to that with the current rules and setup. you are talking bout politics and triggersand stuff like that, wel unfortunatly im merly a aaa user who got interested in changing basic xml stuff, all that u mention is beyond what i can do to a map. and for the mapnames, i would love to finaly put normandy in the right spot of the map etc, but as i recall V mentioned that if u change a mod ull have to change every version or they wont be compatible nomore..?

if someone with exp would offer to assist me with the programming of dificult stuff i would be more then happy to work with him, but as i said before i can only do easy stuff.

when u mention those changes im considdering the following options who could lead to many times more fun of the map:
-national objectives
-different unit triggers with national specific advantages (adding various new units, but also making others obsolete meaning some units will dissapear from the buy menu)
-politics with different nations go to war at a specific time (not round 8 -14 btw :) this would take days)
-renaming of allot of territorys ( i could do the research and offer a complete list)
-convoy zones
-perhaps adding in some new nations, like canada and greece(including yugoslavia)

all of that and keeping in mind that the map needs speed, me and allot of others that played waw usualy agree that current waw and its units is simply to defencive and slow

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

Jureil
Hello Ice

I was wondering if you have gotten any feedback on this yet.

It looks interesting and I would like to know how the balance of the map is working out.

Look forward to anything you can do to shed some light on this question.

Cheers
Jureil

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

ice
New version:

Changelog: 1940 v1.2 by ice
-added various bunkers in the japanese russian borders
-deleted a few units from russia in that same front
-added 3 armor to tientsin for hirsaichi
-deleted 1 artillery added 2 inf to kirchedung for hisaichi

changes are based on discoureging war between russian and japan. and to weaken china to being the pushover they where historicaly

ballance looks good, with above changes i hope its even better

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

Why Salvador is Americans and the rest of Brazil is neutral in WAW40? Is that supposed to represent the partial commitment of Brazil?? What about if American Brazil attacks Neutral Brazil, expanding from Salvador inland???

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

ice
so that usa starts a bit closer to europe aswel, this is only for gameplay phurpose

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

warmonger2
I like this map a lot but I do feel Mech Inf is too cheap at 5 and Inf too expensive at 3. The pricing of 6 and 2 respectively works very well on WAW. It seems to me Germany benefits the most from Mech Inf spam so if these prices were changed they would need a buff to compensate.
I'm curious for the reasons for the current pricing. Is it to encourage large armoured battles on the eastern front?

Cheers
WM2

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

warmonger2
Also, tboats and DD both cost 8 but DD are strictly better with their anti sub.
I suggest tboats be cheap fodder at 1/1/2 cost 6.

Would be nice to see this map played more, but might need some balancing.

Re: WORLD AT WAR 1940

Cernel
Good that you noticed. Thanks warmonger.

The T.Boat and Transport costs got switched. That was my mistake in updating it to the new WAW; I'll fix it in the next WAW release (Transport at 8 PUs and T.Boat at 7 PUs).

ice, can you take a good look at your mod 2.1.0 (and possibly play a game of it) if there are other mistakes or anything minor you want to be changed in the latest I'd give redrum in a few days (it may be the last one on my side)?

The Ultimate World style duplication between a destroyer without anti-sub ability and a destroyer with anti-sub ability and costing 1 PUs more than the other, but exactly the same for the rest, while making sense on principle, extremises the nonsense that 1 destroyer effects infinite subs.
Since there is not the possibility of setting that 1 destroyer negates X subs, I suggest not having a duplication between destroyers with and without anti-sub abilities.