Volunteer Call

aaalafayette
Administrator
There is quite a bit to do, we could use one or two volunteers for each of the following:

- Communications Coordinator: make sure all questions are answered and linked to the right issue. Identify missing documentation.

- Documentation Editor: organize/maintain and fill in the gaps in the documentation

- Map Admin and Process Owner: need to finalizes how community maps will be accepted and built into the system. There is some leg work still involved with maps, mainly now in just setting up the automation for them one time. This is a similar to the coordinator roles above, but focused on the map process. This role will work with the development side to make sure that all tools are place to accomplish what needs to be done, this person will help finalize and then help manage the map making process.

- Game testers: prerelease 1.9 needs thorough testing. Everything wrong should be logged as either an existing bug, or a new bug introduced since 1.8.0.9. The bugs can be anywhere in the system, we updated a lot of code since 1.8.0.9

- Map Description Editors - There a lot of map descriptions that are missing: http://github.com/triplea-maps/Project/blob/master/production_config/triplea_maps.yaml

- Java Coders for the game-engine, always need these - lots to do and clean up in the game engine.

- Website talent, do you know JavaScript? HTML5?

- Moderator Admin - one or two people to oversee and make sure that the moderators are running well

If you have any interest and are willing to help out in any of these areas, please reply to this thread and let us know how you'd like to help

Re: Volunteer Call

ZjelcoP
- Communications Coordinator: make sure all questions are answered and linked to the right issue. Identify missing documentation.

- Documentation Editor: organize/maintain and fill in the gaps in the documentation

These two I will work on. Consolidating all the guides and how to's etc. Clean up, update and organize them in one place. Write what is missing and needed.
Any help on it is welcome of course.

- Website talent, do you know JavaScript? HTML5?

In the learning process and will take on small tasks where I can and am capable or feel i could figure it out. Know some HTML, no javascript yet, but could get into that, just not on short notice.

Re: Volunteer Call

I have played 3 full games on 1.9 and so far have not experienced any bugs, will post if/when I do

Re: Volunteer Call

simon33
I've done some coding work but I'm not very across the test system. It is a bit frustrating that what in one case is a quite degrading bug is being held up for this.

Re: Volunteer Call

The Red Baron
I've been on a bit of a hiatus for a few months, but I'm still willing to help out every now and then. I have a map-making project, progressing very slowly due to the usual busyness of life, but I hope to still be able to help with the website as I have time.

Documentation is another matter that I could work on, but again, I've become quite busy, and may not be able to commit to, though I'd love to help out in some way.

I think it may be helpful for admins to work through the website issue system. I follow that still, and if I can, I may be able to fix certain issues if they are doable. While I cannot commit to a large project, I can still help here and there, and will if needs are made known in the issues, which can be reported here:

https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: Volunteer Call

anonymissimus
[quote]- Java Coders for the game-engine, always need these - lots to do and clean up in the game engine. [/quote]
Is there some guide on how to set up a debugging environment ?

Re: Volunteer Call

anonymissimus
Come on, crying for volunteers but nobody cares to answer this simple question ?
Am I supposed to google this or find everything out myself ?

Re: Volunteer Call

@anonymissimus - I'd recommend just using your IDE debugger (probably eclipse for most people). The general development setup instructions are in the Readme here: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea

If you have difficulty feel free to ask more specific questions.

Re: Volunteer Call

sneakingcoward
are there still any needed ?

before the github thing I was helping as map tester, before redrum was uploading.

Re: Volunteer Call

@sneakingcoward - Yeah still need help with testing, managing, and updating maps. Even just going through many of the existing maps and cleaning stuff up and evaluating what quality they are would be very helpful.

Re: Volunteer Call

simon33
Hi Anonymissimus,
I find it easiest to run via gradle. So clone the repo then do a "gradle run". If you can get a source level debugger working you'll be more advanced than I!

Biggest bug at the moment is the scramble box flickering on a Mac. This is about 100 times more important than the next most important problem. Without much experience in Java, I'm not really sure where to look on this one.

Next highest priority bug is the sub combat logic but that isn't a very big bug.

Re: Volunteer Call

retropy
Hi There,
I've been in touch via email (and received some friendly replies). I'd like to help with the website.
I'll spend the next week getting to know the xoops standard install and then after that - if you're happy to give me access, I will interrogate the custom code that handles the ladders and other sections prior to creating a git backup of the site (or more favourably - the custom code) and making a start on nailing some of those extensive issues! If there's any long term plans for the site - we can look at them on the side and slowly create a plan to tackle them too.

Thanks for those that have pm'd / emailed me to say hi. Hopefully we can kick some goals here.
JR

WK=

Re: Volunteer Call

WK=
I have found a few "holes" in the Tactical campaign maps vs the AI. Some spots on the ocean let boats move 5 spaces. Some of the edges are treated like a round map, instead of a map with boarders. I would love to play test maps for you guys.

Found another anomaly in the Game Of Thrones map...just one so far..the grass sea has two territories combined.

On other notes...The Star Trek map is super fun, although a little too easy, even on hard vs AI. Would be nice to have a FFA for that one.

The simplicity of this engine is very attractive to me. How hard would it be to make this "Real Time"?...Along the lines of what Hearts of Iron is doing, but not as complex.

Re: Volunteer Call

@WK= - We can always use play testing help. The more specific your feedback the better. If you can list which territories seem to have bad connections that is very helpful.

We track most of the issues either in threads on the forum here (most maps have there own thread) or in github issues which is where we actually manage the code/maps source: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues

Most map owners as long as they are active are always glad to get feedback and fix issues with there maps.

I doubt we do any real-time in the near future and I actually have the exact opposite preference where I wish Paradox games (EU, HOI, Victoria) were actually turn based rather than real-time as I hate having to continuously pause the game.