Uploaded Modified Middle Earth Map

HuskerMike
I made a modification to the Middle Earth map called Middle Eart Fords. This removes all crossings on the Anduin, except at Osgiliath and the Old Ford. Otherwise, they used boats and rafts, which you can still build. The Anduin was a major impediment to armies, which is why Osgiliath was so crucial to Gondor. O modified the map and the program (xml file). I think I tested all the old crossings so that they don't work.

This should give Rohan a bit of a breather. Their main problem was Saruman and the Dunlendings.

http://www.rainbownerd.com/wargaming/middle_earth_Fords.zip

If you all could put it where it belongs, I would appreciate it.

Mike
Go Big Red!

Re: Uploaded Modified Middle Earth Map

VictorInThePacific
eh ... i suggest you run this by ajmdemen and any other people experienced with this mod. I think that this will probably have a major impact on play balance.

Re: Uploaded Modified Middle Earth Map

generally speaking I do not upload maps to the repository until after they have received some play testing and balance adjustments

no need to run this by ajm, he is only in charge of the original map

this is a mod, so it is now your map

rolf (and me) are in control of the map database, and will upload your mod after it receives significant play and balancing

feel free to change w/e you want

Re: Uploaded Modified Middle Earth Map

VictorInThePacific
HuskerMike, since you appear to be the proud new parent of this mod, and since you are doing this now, and since you appear to be a purist, here are some corrections to area names.

"Hills of Evendil" should be "... Evendim"
"Sea of Nurn" should be "... Nurnen"
"Tolfolas" should be "Tolfalas"

Not that anyone would ever notice those.

The more obvious errors are:

Dimrill Dale,
Celebrant, and
Helm's Deep, as the name is equivalent to "the Deep of Helm", not that helms were dropped down a hole. We are talking, of course, of Helm Hammerhand.

Re: Uploaded Modified Middle Earth Map

fyi:

if you are ONLY changing things in the xml file, THEN you can make what is called a "mod" or "variant",
which means the map can be distributed as only the xml file (ie: no other stuff, like artwork, with it)

this is because the xml file points to the original map folder, even if the xml file is itself in a different place

(for examples on how to do this, download any of the variants in the download list, like NWO_variants, etc.)

if you are going to change territory names, etc, then this will require the map be downloaded with new artwork, etc.

Whenever possible, I prefer people to use the first method for their mods/variants
this is because a 100kb xml file is very easy to distribute and keep up to date, while having multiple copies of all the artwork for a map is much more difficult