Ultra-large map

vaderence
Well, I have been playing a grand strategy game (Hearts of Iron 2) for a while. I think it may be possible to use its map to make a triplea game.

See below image (just 1/64 of the whole map):

It is a really large and complicated map that covers the whole world. What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Ultra-large map

sneakingcoward
how long do you want to play ???? ;-)

Re: Ultra-large map

crazygerman
I would only use part of the map. ex make a game of europe, the pacific or the mediteranean

A global map would take very long to play out. The capitols would probably be at least 15 or more movements away. Of course it depends what war you plan on depicting, Im assuming WW2.

However if the sample you have shown added north africa it would make an excellent map of the mediteranean, which is an essential part of many conflicts throughout history, both WW2 and many many ancient conflicts.
I cant code Java, but ill provide moral support :)

Re: Ultra-large map

U-boat
sieg already has a very lard world map...maybe you should focus on a battle?

Re: Ultra-large map

Edwin van der Wal
I would be interested in a big (empty) map like that which has run through the map-creator program... but I don't think you are volunteering to convert this map to a base-map of TripleA :)

Re: Ultra-large map

i would HIGHLY suggest anyone who takes on this project to at least create 1 simple map first.

a lot of people start big projects and never finish them, due to bugs that pop up from poorly formed xmls.

if you do a simple project first, and get it working, then there is a much smaller chance that you will introduce any bugs into a bigger project, or that you will get frustrated by not understanding something and quit.

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence
Well I have made a map and game myself before and got it to run without bugs (but never posted it here as my custom units are bad graphically ). So I am capable of creating a triplea map as long as there is are images to use and work upon.

I really think this map (or at least part of it) has a lot of potential to be made into a triplea game.

My concerns would be the triplea engine itself. Can it support such a large number of territories? Also, would the AI take eons to think before making a move?

For now, I guess I would first put the whole map image together and upload it so that everyone can have a look.

Re: Ultra-large map

Edwin van der Wal
cool

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence wrote
Well I have made a map and game myself before and got it to run without bugs (but never posted it here as my custom units are bad graphically ). So I am capable of creating a triplea map as long as there is are images to use and work upon.
Vaderence, I can help with unit design.  It might not be immediately, but I can definitely help get the custom units you need.

I'd love to see the entire map.

Re: Ultra-large map

U-boat
if someone could copy the style on that sample image that would look really good

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence
hepster wrote
Vaderence, I can help with unit design.  It might not be immediately, but I can definitely help get the custom units you need.

I'd love to see the entire map.
Well, may as well post the game I made:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antagarich/files/

Just extract everything and place into appropiate folders.
Note that it runs on triplea version 1.2.X.X

Re: Ultra-large map

Heinz Guderian
On this map; planes can fly much further over sea the over land.  In Hearts of Iron every map represents a certain distance.

Re: Ultra-large map

I'm confused.  The game you designed has nothing to do with the map you posted?

Re: Ultra-large map

U-boat
I can't even open it. I'm getting Java errors.

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence
hepster wrote
I'm confused.  The game you designed has nothing to do with the map you posted?
Well, no. That is another map that I made earlier and is unrelated to the map disscussed here. Sorry but I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the custom units in my previous map.

Anyway, just posted the whole world map here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ultralargemap/files/
Please leave some comments.

Re: Ultra-large map

hepster
Oh don't get me wrong.  I'd be happy to help design units for the fantasy game.  I just thought you were talking about a WWII game.

It may be a little while before I can start generating drawings, but not to worry I'd be happy to help.

I'd love to see the entire map for the HOI game.

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence
Uploaded a few more images to the site. "map" is the original backdrop. "combinedmap" is the map with rivers, which is the one I intend to use as the relief tiles. "border1" is all land borders in the map, not including any border that involve water bodies.

Again, the site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ultralargemap/files/

Re: Ultra-large map

Heinz Guderian
Nice, just only the areas in for example Siberia are much bigger then in Europe, thus units can move faster through those Siberian areas then through Europe.

On the other side, are the areas not to small even for the smallest unitsize at 50%.

Re: Ultra-large map

U-boat
so where is the map that corresponds to the image above?

Re: Ultra-large map

vaderence
The "map.png" includes the above image as part of it.
12