Quantcast

Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

RODTHEGOD
I recently opened up Triplea again and had a look around.

One thing I thought was quite amazing was the tutorial. How it introduced each stage of the war/pre-war I thought was quite amazing. That format implemented properly would make large maps a lot more viable.

It got me thinking of a potential Ultimate World 2 map and the things i want to see in it.
Anyways, I thought I would post my random brainstorming here.

Battle for the Atlantic

I haven't seen a battle for the Atlantic that really gives you the feeling that Germany is trying to choke the UK into submission.

Here are a few ideas for how I was thinking to achieve this.

1. A set of interior sea zones in every other normal sea zone that gives ships/fleets a kind of alternate/accelerated route so that your ships have more options than just fight or flight, but also maneuvering.

2. Convoy zone territories that are worth a significant amount of resources for the continental powers (UK, Russia...), also a breakdown of some of the larger powers (British commonwealth -> UK, Canada...)

3. A significantly different set of sea units.  Have more cheap expendable units to serve as fodder for more expensive/essential units with few to no units in between those extremes. Maybe include the purchasing of smaller sea units in with bigger sea units to raise their price. Here is an example of what I'm thinking

Transports
        Ferry - immobile sea transport, buy in groups of 2 (0,0,0,carry 1 land unit) cost 4
        Convoy - expensive, important target (0,0,2,carry 5 infantry or 3 armor/artillery) cost 18

Submarine
        Submarine - mobile/fragile, buy in groups of 2 (1,0,4,2hit) cost 16

Warships
        Escort - cheap, expendable (0,1,2) cost 4
        Destroyer - more expensive, includes 2 escorts (1,2,2) cost 16
        Cruiser - includes 3 escorts (2,3,2) cost 30
        Battleship - includes 3 escorts and 1 destroyer (4,5,2,bombard,2hit) cost 50
        Carrier - includes 3 escorts and 1 destroyer (0,2,2,can carry 4 planes,2 hit) cost 42

A Fight to the Bitter End

In most Triplea maps, there isn't really a fight to the bitter end. At a certain point, one player or the other acknowledges defeat and concedes. I want a fight to the bitter end to be viable.

Here is what I'm thinking; have it so that while the axis powers can do a lot of damage/take a lot of territory, they can't outright win the war. As a result, their end war goal isn't to conquer everything but to get a truce. I was thinking how this would be done would be a simple string of territories (number undetermined) that a single axis unit would have to cross to get to the end territories. These end territories would give Germany and Japan HUGE production bonuses. This would also have the added benefit of forcing the allies go after both theaters because they need to take Tokyo AND Berlin before they get that huge production boost

Stages

While the largely recognized WW2 period is 1939 to 1945, there were a lot of thing that happened before that period. I want to have 3 stages to the game.

Stage 1 - The Coming Storm
-covers prewar events up to the invasion of Poland
-introduces new wars/factions like the tutorial does.
-winning/loosing each little war would give bonuses in the real war. An example would be the Spanish Civil War, depending on who wins, that side would get a small production bonus. I.E. if the nationalists win, then Germany will later get an extra 2 PU a turn. If the Republicans win, then an allied player would get an extra 2 PU a turn

Stage 2 - Aggressive Expansion
-axis success and expansion (eventually allied production power will greatly outstrip axis initial successes)
-this covers the period of aggressive expansion for the axis powers, the last few remaining events happen (Barbarossa, Pearl Harbor) resulting in all the major powers being in the game

Stage 3 - Fight to the Bitter End
-axis forces have lost their offensiveness and must hold off the allied advance until a truce can be established

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

hepster
A lot of different ideas here.  But the one I couldn't visualize is the following...

RODTHEGOD wrote
1. A set of interior sea zones in every other normal sea zone that gives ships/fleets a kind of alternate/accelerated route so that your ships have more options than just fight or flight, but also maneuvering.

I can't figure out what you are trying to say with this.

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

wel this would be amazing, the creator of 1 of the best maps making a second version!!

whatever ull make it will be cool, however the real problem is getting people to try it

the comunity sux and only plays what they know with a few exeptions, so this will be the real challange

good luck

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

RODTHEGOD

hepster wrote
A lot of different ideas here.  But the one I couldn't visualize is the following...

RODTHEGOD wrote
1. A set of interior sea zones in every other normal sea zone that gives ships/fleets a kind of alternate/accelerated route so that your ships have more options than just fight or flight, but also maneuvering.

I can't figure out what you are trying to say with this.

Here's a quick example

and basically the circle sea zones would be connected to each other as well

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

hepster
So are you saying the round SZ would have connections not physically present on the map?

Like this perhaps....

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

RODTHEGOD
This post was updated on .
hepster wrote
So are you saying the round SZ would have connections not physically present on the map?
Yes but more like this

So it would work kind of like this

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

That is exactly what I have included in Global Dominance that I am currently working on.  I was curious as to whether it was something different or more or less the same as what I have been working on.

It is designed to give broader movement options to fleets if they control key points of oceans.

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

RODTHEGOD
hepster wrote
That is exactly what I have included in Global Dominance that I am currently working on.  I was curious as to whether it was something different or more or less the same as what I have been working on.

It is designed to give broader movement options to fleets if they control key points of oceans.
Looks similar. I don't think it's the same though. Do your circular sea zones also connect to each other?

Here is what i currently have for the map.
Most of Europe, North America and North Africa are done
Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload a larger picture as I haven't transformed it to a black/white/blue version yet.

Re: Ultimate World 2 - Brainstorming

hepster
Yah you can see how I have set it up in the link.  The red lines between circles indicate a connection between circular sea zones.

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=reply&node=7595422&cid=1490638104577-104

Anyways,  looks like you are making good progress already.   Looking forward to seeing your progress as I remember playing the Ultimate World quite a bit when I first joined Triple A years and years ago.