Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
This post was updated on .
Took some time and a lot of work, but the TripleA Tutorial is about finished!

https://github.com/triplea-maps/tutorial/releases

Have a go and check it out.
Feedback is appreciated.

But even better, let your brother, daughter, uncle, friend or whoever is not familiar with the game play it.
Their feedback is most appreciated. Is anything unclear, do they get stuck anywhere, is it too hard?
Need a "noobs" perspective on this.
If possible upload a savegame of the played Tutorial.
They might even start playing the game

Cheers

Re: Tutorial finished

Frostion
WOW! This is a pretty good torturial. I really enjoyed playing it through. There are some small issues I found as I played, and I will list them all here. I don’t know if everything is flaws, but here they come...

Generally:
I, on purpose, tried not following the instructions 100%. I blitz through a Ethiopia to get to Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, and then had the infantry walking into an already owned territory. This lead me to not capture all the territories in 1 turn. Then the game continued, by giving me a new combat round, and let me do the final move. I take the last land of the three lands by moving one unit. Step complete. But now, when I should be in control of Germany, I am still stuck with Italy. I only captured the territory with one unit and now the other unit can noncombat move. I need to finish / press ok on the non-combat move to finish and become germany. Maybe you can do remove movement / movement = 0 trigger after combat to prevent this? I see Non Combat Moves are explained later in the turturial.

You should introduce the new player to the politics information screen. And if you do this, then give the “deafault_war_relation” and “default_allied_relation” real relation names to be displayed.

There is a victory popup … but no real victory trigger, like a normal game.

Popups:
Should all cases of ”WorldWar 2” not be “World War 2”?

I think “British Somaliland” should be written with capital letters as it is a place/country name (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Somaliland)

I can see that the popup pictures like Infantry.png and Armour.png are 500 px wide. Maybe you should add breaks into the popup tekst lines, so that they are not longer lines than the 500 px. It would make the popup look better IMO, even if the drawback may be a bit “higher” popups. The way I have done this the easy way:
• Visually note yourself where the first break should be by looking at the popup. Don’t place the break yet.
• Copy the long line of text into a document like docx.
• Mark all text and increase font size until the top line is just as long as you would imagine it to be in the popup.
• Now you can see in the docx where you should insert a line break in the TripleA file.

Notifictation “Turnorder”. The notes say “Turn Order” and this looks better.
The same notification refers to “3: Combat Move”, but also “5: Non-CombatMove” (as does the notes) without space before move. “5: Non-Combat Move” would be better. But I also noted that you use CombatMove and NonCombatMove other places, so I don’t know what you want as standard. Finally, “6: Place units” should be a capital U to keep uniformity. Same goes for “Collect income” in the notes. It should be with capital i.

Notification NonCombatMove. “and move some special units you will unlock later this campaign.” I think there is missing an “in”.

Just before attacking Poland. The odds of winning with 2 infantry and 1 tank against the 4 Polish infantry is like 17 procent. Maybe notes, just after the explanation of the CTRL+B thing, there should be a hint about skipping the combat move and placing the newly bought units before attacking Poland?

Notification Saving. Maybe this popup should end with “If you don’t feel the need to save the current progress in this torturial, then just continue you German campaign”, or something similar. I think a new player could start thinking “Do I really need to save now?”.

Sometime unlock popups say “Defensive power” and sometimes “defensive power”, sometimes with capital letter and sometimes small letter.

Popup “Bomb Greek factory!” Factory should be with capital letter, if you want uniformity in the headlines. Same popup needs a space between Money and (PUs). Also, “bomber” should be with capital letter.

Popup “French Capital captured!” Capital should be with capital letter. Maybe you should just go through all the headlines and figure out if they should be with capital letter or not.

Popup “Submarine Unlocked”. Maybe the notes should explain or tell if sneak attack is the same thing as stealth attack? Or maybe it should only use the term sneak attack, as this is what is written in the combat window.

Popup “Convoy detected!” Why is “Cargo” written with a capital letter?

Popup “Factory unlocked!” … “Factories you produce the units you need to fight.” Would it not have to say “you need to fight with.”? My native language is not English, so I might be wrong.

I did not notice the/any Artillery popup displayed? Maybe I just cant remember.

Notes:
”Have a look in the Help-tab(Top-left of your screen).”
I think there should be a space between tab and (.

 I got a question? Do one realy have to press CTRL+I to have the unit info poping up? I always just press I, no CTRL.

I think the turturial could be even better/easier to understand and more noobie friendly if all the lines containing the “Objective” headline wereto read something like “Mission 1 – Objective” or “Step 1 – Objective”. It would be easier to scroll down and find the place you need to be/need to read.

“The attacker (Germany)fires first.”
Needs a space after ).

“for each 1,2 or 3 they score a hit(50% chance).”
Needs a space after 1 and after hit.

”In this case it scored a defensive hit(2) and now”
Needs a space …. By now you probably know where.

Transporting Troops in notes:
 ”Moving troops into battle? No retreat!” I know what you mean, but maybe it would be more fitting with “it is not possible to retreat from an amphibious attack.” Or something like that.

”2 Infantry or 1 infantry + 1 armour per ship” I think you should do a search throug your intire notification file and notes, and have all Infantry, Armour, Transport and all other unit types allways use capital letters, as I think you want.

“This nation is an Active AI and will buy, move and attack if the right opportunity occurs.The longer you wait the more units it will buy.” Needs a space between occurs and The.

Re: Tutorial finished

PS: I dont know if it was a map or game bug, but I had a Tank that got stuck at sea. Here is the save game at the point where it happens.
TankInLibyaWater.tsvg

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
Thank you for the feedback and the good eye for detail Frostion!
Good of you to not follow instructions strictly as that was what i needed. Playtesting myself doesn't help to find those situations a new player might get stuck in.

I will go over all those points and mend stuff.

Few points checking quickly:

-CTRL-I/V: indeed!? Did they change it perhaps?

-Armour getting stuck at sea: Seems it is just enjoying the sun on Malta  :-) (Malta is invisible under armour). Had no problem loading it to transport.

-Popup size: Think the problem was that there is a limit to how high the popup can be. Don't know if it depends on screensize or whatever. If i cut those lines it would mess up the text in the bottom.
Not really happy with those "unit unlocked" popups. Would like bigger lettertype as well.
Solution would be to have strength/weaknes/cost next to the unit image but have no clue how to get that working properly. Anyone?

-"There is a victory popup … but no real victory trigger, like a normal game. "
When did this popup occur? There should be one when you clear the British Navy though I've been wrestling to get that working properly. Thought it did now....
Ah i see...the victory trigger that asks do you want to continue? Will check to see if that improves the experience.

-Artillery popup....This should occur in the preparation for invading Russia.

You have a savegame of the lategame or finish so I can check those popups in history?

Cheers!

Re: Tutorial finished

Frostion
If you are not completely satisfied with the current popup designs, then maybe I can offer some inspiration. I tried to redesign a bit, mainly to make the popups smaller. I personally don’t mind the text not being thick, and also all the content a little more compressed. I made a version where only the popup “headlines” are thik. I also managed to remove the broad line spaces in the listings.

This is the code I used: Code.txt

Armour getting stuck at sea was actually sitting on an island!? LOL … sorry, I did not think of that

I probably did just not notice the artillery popup, and I don’t have a save.

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
This post was updated on .
So changed a few things, many thx to some good feedback Frostion!

All mentioned grammar, language and font alterations done.

"Maybe you can do remove movement / movement = 0 trigger after combat to prevent this?"
   I already had it triggered that way, but it seems movement can't be reset during the turn.
   No big problem, player will just have to find :"done" button.

"You should introduce the new player to the politics information screen. And if you do this, then give the “deafault_war_relation” and “default_allied_relation” real relation names to be displayed."
   All relations changed, Politics-screen added in Triple-A tips during Russia-mission.

The Unit-unlocked pop-ups I will keep as they are for now, though thx for the alternative example. Only if text can be set orderly side by side to the image (2 columns?) I can increase Font-size and will then unbold parts of the text.

"Just before attacking Poland. The odds of winning with 2 infantry and 1 tank against the 4 Polish infantry is like 17 procent. Maybe notes, just after the explanation of the CTRL+B thing, there should be a hint about skipping the combat move and placing the newly bought units before attacking Poland?"
   There are already a few hints and i believe failure offers great learning opportunity :-)

"Notification Saving. Maybe this popup should end with “If you don’t feel the need to save the current progress in this torturial, then just continue you German campaign”, or something similar. I think a new player could start thinking “Do I really need to save now?”. "
   Comment added

Made Italy Neutral to France. This because if Italy was to be stubborn and turn west and finish France (Capture Southern France as last territory) on it's turn that would screw up the scenario. Need Germany to finish the job. Only bug encountered so far.
Not ideal fix but most players will not even notice, alternatives would be complex.

If you play it please upload a save when done! Thx.
https://github.com/triplea-maps/tutorial/releases

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
Have a serie of 4 notifications firing one after the other directly.
I put them in the right order by trial and error.
Testplaying by other people on a different computer results in getting them in a different order than me. Why puzzles me...

What determines which trigger fires first, 2nd, etc?
"Attach to" in conditions?
"Attach to' in triggers?
Something else?

Anyone have other good idea's on how to determine and fix the order. "When" doesn't seem to offer a solution in this case...

<attatchment name="conditionAttachment010a" attatchTo="AI_British" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="British Somaliland" count="1"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="conditionAttachment010b" attatchTo="Italians" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="Italian Somaliland" count="1"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="conditionAttachment010c" attatchTo="AI_French" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="Italian Somaliland" count="1"/>
        <option name="invert" value="true"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="conditionAttachment010d" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="alliedOwnershipTerritories" value="Sicily" count="1"/>
        <option name="invert" value="true"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="triggerAttachment010a" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="conditions" value="conditionAttachment010a"/>
        <option name="uses" value="1"/>
        <option name="when" value="before:italiansCombatMove"/>
        <option name="notification" value="Infantryunlocked"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="triggerAttachment010b" attatchTo="Italians" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="conditions" value="conditionAttachment010b"/>
        <option name="uses" value="1"/>
        <option name="when" value="before:italiansCombatMove"/>
        <option name="notification" value="Refertonotes"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="triggerAttachment010c" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="conditions" value="conditionAttachment010c"/>
        <option name="uses" value="1"/>
        <option name="when" value="before:italiansCombatMove"/>
        <option name="notification" value="Abouttriplea"/>
</attatchment>

<attatchment name="triggerAttachment010d" attatchTo="Germans" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
        <option name="conditions" value="conditionAttachment010d"/>
        <option name="uses" value="1"/>
        <option name="when" value="before:italiansCombatMove"/>
        <option name="notification" value="Welcome"/>
</attatchment>

Edit:

When I play I get the order: DCAB
2 other people got: BDCA

Re: Tutorial finished

Frostion
I always assume that triggers fire in the order that they are listed, top->down, in the XML if not using a "when". I don’t know if this is the case though.
I have also always assumed that stuff inside a single trigger fires in the top->down order they are listed, and that a something listed inside a trigger could potentially be overwritten by something lower down.

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
Well top>down doesn't seem to be it.

When having 2 or more Notifications inside 1 trigger, only 1 notification (either first or last, can't remember) will be executed. Any others will be ignored.

Using 1 condition and 2 triggers with same "when" and "player" 1 notification also gets ignored.
When attached to different players they are both executed. But which one first and why???

This seems to only apply to notifications. Anything in else in triggers seems to be executed completely.

Digging into history logs of savegames it shows all actions resulting from multiple triggers for a certain point in time ("when") are put together and then sorted somehow regardless of which trigger they come from.
Order found so far:
-Notification
-update production frontier
-Take ownership
-Remove units
-Place units
In this history-file are some examples:TimSave.txt

Sometimes the order for each part (say Take Ownership) follows the XML nicely, sometimes it's completely
randomized or ordered in an unknown way. Alfabetic or listing of territories in XML doesn't seem to be it.

Re: Tutorial finished

There is no thing like top - down firing of triggers. I don't know if it is just random, but I think so.

If you want triggers firing in sequence at the same point in history, you have to make a trigger activating another one (you can still have it testing for conditions etc.). There is no limit to such a chain.

Also, by doing this way, the activated trigger will test based on the game's situation modified by the activating one, while not-activated triggers firing at the same point in history are considered simultaneous, no matter the order in which they fire, in history.

Re: Tutorial finished

Frostion
Trigger-chain! Nice. I will remember to use that if I ever need it. As I said, I was just assuming. But my assumption was also based on an experience. I tried to have a territory property that had 4 nations use it as capital. Ingame it was only the player listed last that got to have the territory as capital.

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
Thx Cernel!

That solves the issue perfectly

Strangely the trigger to be activated needs to be listed above the one that triggers it, otherwise the game doesn't see it. Guess it can't read ahead.....

Re: Tutorial finished

The Red Baron
@ZjelcoP: I tried this out last night. Amazing tutorial! I am excited for the role this will play in helping new users learn how to play.

There is an issue on Github about implementation of the tutorial here:
https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/438

I think that the new download page I am working on for the website could really coincide well with the Tutorial.

For those who don't know, the download page will first give three buttons for the OSs, Windows, Mac, and Linux. The download will begin in the background. Then, installation instructions will appear for the OS they selected. I have almost finished coding all that.

However, I was thinking that I may be nice to link to a "Getting Started" page, as I mentioned in the issue above. My thoughts were that perhaps the opening notification of the Tutorial could be moved/copied to the website so that the users can read a bit while TripleA is  downloading.

Then, when TripleA has finished downloading and the user launches it, this notification will appear:

The tutorial will then launch and proceed to demonstrate how to play. Veteran users can take the left button to get to the main game screen. I think the "About" button on the main menu could potentially be changed to show such a notification again. Those are my thoughts for implementation. However, I would like some feedback on how the download page should function on the website side, and how that would work with the tutorial. @ZjelcoP has already written some great docs, and I may write some others, but how would we like this to function?

On testing, the website could also use some of it. The idea is to allow a user who was sent to "triplea-game.org" or Googled "axis and allies," "risk," or whatever can easily install and play our game without foreknowledge of A&A. This is our biggest hole right now, as I see it, and the website and the tutorial together can fix this.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: Tutorial finished

aaalafayette
Administrator
There are a number of things I really like with that proposal:
- the idea of having a "show change log" button has been suggested somewhere already
- we show a very limited number of buttons to new players, makes it really easy to find the tutorial, yet we keep the tutorial button out of the 'main screen', which is otherwise just yet one more button.

@ZjelcoP, any thoughts/suggestions on Red Baron's ideas?

Re: Tutorial finished

ZjelcoP
On the button for Tutorial in the changelog screen: It's a nice way to show people it's there, hard to miss. Like it.
Only issue: I believe most new players will choose to "proceed to game". They're curious and want to see what it is about, how does it look, what options are there, is there a campaign and multiplayer?
Only after that first browsing, satisfying curiosity, maybe after starting up a game and finding out it's pretty complex they decide to start the tutorial. Then it should be very easy for them to find.

An other option is to have it highlighted and shown always at the top in the Games-list. Does this make it the default map? Even better. Hard to miss this way and you don't need an extra button.

The Red Baron wrote
The idea is to allow a user who was sent to "triplea-game.org" or Googled "axis and allies," "risk," or whatever can easily install and play our game without foreknowledge of A&A. This is our biggest hole right now, as I see it, and the website and the tutorial together can fix this.
I think this indeed is a big challenge and I believe in the past plenty people finding the game never got to really playing it, but quit somewhere along the process. The easier and shorter you make this process, the more people will end up playing.
Recently seen some good improvement on the installer automating some stuff and autolaunching the game. The download page will also be of great value, is very prominent on the page now and looks much better than the Sourceforge Download/Installing page.

That Sourceforge-page is a prime example of one of TripleA's current weaknesses: text, text, text.
Many TripleA enthousisasts (as am I) like to be thorough and complete in our information, resulting in text.
The second Notification of the Tutorial.....text (Guilty...)
Especially during a new players first steps into TripleA text should be kept to a minimum.
Automate where possible, nice big colorful buttons for choices to be made (like the downloadpage),
Text concise and only when needed, or hidden under a button (Installing troubleshooting..?) so only those who want it see the information.

Should the changelog be visible after install? Maybe it's sort of tradition to have it and nice to give credit to hard work, but to 90% of players it is of no interest and looks like...text. What else could you communicate/show there? (have no great idea's actually...) On the other hand if you don't put it there, hardly anyone ever reads it.

Reading game -info or the rules when downloading? ....text. General game-info could be nice if kept short and to the point. Perhaps a slideshow/visual presentation of TripleA's finest will grab people's attention and show them what is there for them to discover.

Cheers!

Re: Tutorial finished

The Red Baron
@ZjelcoP: I am of the opinion that we need to keep the tutorial out of the maps list. It doesn't seem like it should be there, and it will only be used once. You are right about the "Proceed to game" button. I didn't think about it, but I, for one, often do exactly what you talked about. I'm not adverse to adding a button on the main screen, but the tutorial needs to be different from a map in the list. Plus, always having it highlighted would be annoying after it was used once.

I like your ideas though. Perhaps we can work together on this more as things progress.