We've grown a lot over the last 2 years.
We have more people online in the lobby playing than we have ever had before.
We have pretty much convinced the entire AxisAndAllies.org website to switch to using our software, and more people than ever are now playing PBEM/PBF over there using TripleA.
And yet despite this, we still do not have very many people playing in total. Not many people know about TripleA, and people who are just starting to know about Axis & Allies are not able to find us.
In addition, I'm getting married soon, and am switching positions at work, and in general my life is about to get a lot more busy. I'm not going to go away, but I will not be spending as much time on TripleA either.
Lastly, Bung is no longer as active as he used to be, and I haven't actually seen him online in months. Bung runs/hosts the server where our lobby is located, and also runs the TripleaWarClub.org website.
So, with that in mind, TripleA is looking to hire people and appoint volunteers to positions that we need filled!
Positions (in no particular order):
* Marketing Executive Director (Chief Marketing Officer) Your responsibilities and job is to promote TripleA. This means making videos and posting them to youtube, constantly updating our facebook page, reaching out to people on gaming websites and forums, and generally doing any kind of marketing and advertising you can think of.
* TripleA.sf.net Website Admin Your responsibilities are to maintain this website. This means making it prettier and easier to use at the same time. Would involve making screenshots and tutorials and art. If possible, we need to do some SEO (search engine optimizing) so that this website comes up on the front page when you search google for Axis & Allies online.
* TripleA War Club website Admin Your responsibilities are to maintain the tripleawarclub.org website. That includes both the website and the forum (the forum is XOOPS) and the dice server. The forum is especially in need of help, mainly we need to add some kind of better captcha module, or find some other way to stop spam bots from registering. The dice server is coded in php i think, and it could be updated so that it can show registered users all their dice for last 60 days, broken down by which game id they are from, etc.
* Central Intelligence Operatives Your responsibilities are to join forums, lobbies, websites, groups, where other people are talking about or playing Axis & Allies in some form (by board, by a competitor's software, etc). Subtly influence members to give TripleA a try. A great example of this is GTO (game table online), which is where people pay $10 to play a clunky ugly slow version of A&A Revised. Yet they have more users than us because their advertising is better. WTF? If only these people knew about TripleA, they'd probably give it a try and start using us permanently!
* Abandoned Map Updater We have a lot of crappy and abandoned maps. Most of them are extremely unbalanced, incomplete in some way, not fun, and have no art direction. This is usually caused by a map maker who joins, makes a map, then stops maintaining it a week after it is done, because playtesting is 100x harder than making a map in the first place. I think it really hurts us to have a lot of shitty maps in the download list, and I would like to have them either updated/upgraded/balanced/beautified or dropped out of the list. This position would have you playtesting the maps against other Humans (no AI's allowed for playtesting purposes), then fixing the xml and map up yourself to be more fun and balanced. If possible, would be great to have the art updated if it not so good, but this is optional.
* AI Programmer(FILLED by redrum) I don't care if you want to update an existing AI, or if you want to start from scratch. We could use a better AI than what we have.
* TripleA Game Event Organizer This person would organize both live events, and play by forum events. The live events should be organized weekly, and the play by forum events organized monthly. The events could include "Map of the Week/Month" and small Tournaments / Ladders. You would have to recruit the players to join these events, and build up a following. You can find sponsors to donate prizes for the tournaments, or just have free tournaments.
We can have multiple of each position, especially the marketing related positions (ie: 2 people can be marketing executives). You can also apply for multiple positions if you want to do both.
I am looking for committed people. You will not be reporting back to me, or anyone, about your progress or whatever. You do your stuff independently, and are interested/motivated to do it by yourself.
Your reward/payment/compensation will be the everlasting love of the TripleA community, and of course the wonderful feeling of both having accomplished something and of contributing to something. I can also include you in the credits for triplea. Do a damn good job and I'll buy you a couple pizzas/drinks myself.
Already existing positions:
* Head Programmer / Admin of everything = Veqryn
* TripleA Maps Repository manager = Rolf
* Lobby/Website moderator council = yamamoto, wirkey, beck, ice
Re: TripleA is Hiring! Also looking for Volunteers!
If the map hasn't been touched in over 6 months, and the maker is not someone who is still active on this forum or the online lobby, then I would consider the map abandoned.
(This means that basically all the maps that are not in the high quality / ww2 / quality sections are abandoned, which is probably 80% of the maps we have.)
Re: TripleA is Hiring! Also looking for Volunteers!
a good goal; but at present i'm not sure I can properly help with any of them; i'm more a proofreader than anything.
On which i'd recommend not using the word "hiring", as hiring implies some form of compensation; especially when combined with the way you phrase the positions.
of course gametable has more marketting; they're a for-profit business; so they have money to market with, and reason to do so; triplea does not. nothing can really get around that point; and that we have to be careful referring to axis and allies for legal reasons.
Just focusing on a&a community sites seems like a good plan; as that's fertile recruiting ground given all the other games in similar playstyle we have.
I just recently finished my schooling until the fall, and broke my thumb so I'll be AWOL from the real world for a bit, and will try to do anything I can to help. I haven't been on here in a long time, so it may take a while to catch up, especially with coding XMLs and getting up to speed on the thousands of new engine features and whatnot since I last played regularly.
GenCon, which takes place in August, is the largest board gaming convention in the USA. It may make sense to have some form of marketing presence there. You could market directly to Axis & Allies players and other war gamers.
I'm not sure how that would happen. Some ideas:
Business Cards - Print some business cards with the download address and hand them out - maybe put a QR scan code on it too that takes you to the website.
Partner with AxisandAllies.org - The guy that runs AxisandAllies.org is also there. He could be a valuable contact if you can get him involved in the TripleA system. I know he features TripleA in the forum of his site.
T-Shirts - Wear and give out T-Shirts with the logo on the front and website address on the back.
I know of at least 3-4 others that play on TripleA that will be there. They may be willing to help with spread the word about TripleA.
If I can help with regards to this, please let me know.
I am available and have more time these days. I have a professional background in marketing (including digital and traditional advertising), have worked as a Creative Director (competence in video production, animation, and graphic arts), am a skilled web developer, and also am familiar with TripleA map development. Let me know where my skills can serve you best.
Pick what you would like to do to help out.
If it needs anything from me (like access to our web space, if you were for example to take over either of our websites), then I'll grant it.
I'm not around as much anymore, so you'll be your own boss. TripleA really just needs people who step up and do stuff. No waiting around for permission or to ask questions.