TripleA Website

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
ok I only know about this forum (triplea.sourceforge.net) and don't know that other forum but I heard the community may move to github so I am waiting for the official announcement to where the devs are moving to so I can follow the AI development ... so thats what I'm watching these threads for and I really hope they stay here but I'll be happy with whatever they decide

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
@cap'n, please see:

http://www.triplea-game.org/
http://www.triplea-game.org/community/

https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues  << this is the new bug and feature request queue, we were using source forge before: https://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/bugs/, which this is now no longer being updated

In specific, warclub (http://www.tripleawarclub.org/) has a forum, and we tried to converge this one there, but the warclub is lacking some features. So things are bit on hold for the moment in terms of forums. Alternative forum software for a single migration is being considered.

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
ooh I thought maybe THIS forum was still gonna stay active (I'm still hoping it is so I don't haveto register again somewhere else since I've already registered my email with 2 forums for this game so looks like I'm gonna haveto register my email a 3rd time - cuz I really hate spam emails amiright) because I thought I read the devs aren't sure whether to stay here or move to github ... I'll wait for the official word.

But anyways, after reading his posts I guess this forum IS shutting down and we are moving to github OR the new triplea.sourceforge.net forum depending on (for me) where the devs go right?

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
Almost, though there will be no new:  triplea.sourceforge.net
triplea-game.org and tripleawarclub.org are the two future sites. Before we can shut this forum down, we need a better one hosted at either triplea-game.org or tripleawarclub.org

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
ook I got it now thanks - will keep reading and waiting for the official news. I want to know where the devs (the dev forum updates) will go please

Re: TripleA Website

Black Elk
I think the community section of the website needs more prominence.

Most people who visit the site will be prospective players rather than devs or map makers, so it seems like they should be the first priority.

Right now the war club link is broken for me. I haven't spent much time there to be honest, despite being a triplea user for over a decade now. I think the A&A.org section should have a link that takes players directly to the play by forums page over there as well, since it's pretty active and probably a good way to find a pick up game. That site can also be a little difficult to navigate if you don't know what you're looking for.

I think if this forum is retired it'd be nice to have one established for the long term. One where players and devs can still run into each other and interact, so it's not all balkanized.

Since I've been here I think the main forums have been migrated like 2 or 3 times, on a clean slate, and it seems like each time it happens I've noticed a lull in general activity. Some of those previous transitions took place under less than desireable circumstances, not a pre-planned migration. Still, from a continuity standpoint, it can be a little demoralizing when you watch a couple thousands of posts and hundreds of threads disappear. Not that forums are a particularly great sort of archive, but switching can have a chilling effect, if it involves too much loss of content without any kind of overlap period to buffer things. Just a few thoughts to keep in mind as bounce on source forge.

Until fairly recently, my whole view of this source forge place in years past was that it was pretty dev exclusive. Just the place where Sean (or whoever signed on to head up the project at the time) chose to do their open source thing originally... you know to post prereleases, squash bugs and the like, things the average player probably would be content to ignore until it was realized in some kind of official update. Before they Frankensteined a forum onto it, we had a separate place to handle general discussions or more player oriented mod stuff.

I like the idea of a war club, but as some others have mentioned, it's kind of hard to keep track of a bunch of different sites, with different log ins and such.

In the past year or so, I can say I haven't followed much outside of what's happened here or on A&A.org. I think a main site would definitely help you organize all that and make sure it's presented in a current/relevant way, to people who might be downloading triplea for the first time, or getting back into after a long hiatus.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle
Administrator
Agreed

Re: TripleA Website

Is it the general idea that the warclub and developer forum is getting scraped and replaced by https://forums.triplea-game.org ?

I don’t know what options and possibilities there are in regards to custom designing the looks and layout of this new forum. But I really think that the fancy look and setup of the new forum will be risky business. I do believe people are generally conservative when it comes to internet forum designs and do prefer surfing and posting on classic designed forums over fancy new experimental designs with boxes and a lot of empty useless white space.

I don’t know much about setting up a forum. But why not just use an old well tested layout like phpBB? (https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb) (https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/)  It seems pretty customizable, has classic layout and features, is used by tons of people and gets good reviews.

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
yes, forums.triplea-game.org is intended to replace the two existing triplea forums (source forge + warclub)

NodeBB has not been a bad choice so far, perhaps there is an option to change the skinning. There was a number of posts regarding new forum, I'm sorry that you missed it. We spent some time evaluating different options. The new URL and forum are pretty close to finalized with PBF coming soon.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle
Also one of the neat things about node b is each individual user can skin their pages to what they want to see and dont want to see etc.  As well as many other options that are not available in warclub or source forge.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle

Re: TripleA Website

Frostion
Yes I have not really had much focus on the whole forum migration thing, sorry for that. So I might comment on some things that have been well discussed elsewhere.

I cannot change any settings in the new forum, even thought there seems to be an option in settings to change skin, it does not work and nothing happens after I choose a new skin and hit “Save changes”. Not even if I shut down the window and reload the website. Maybe the skin option is broken? Or is it because I use IE 11?

I really hope that the “skins” do not only change color, but actually changes the design. Maybe I am just a traditionalist, but I really hate the default white minimalistic design. Too bright, too vague separations/frames around displayed content and too little overall info displayed on screen as a result of these things. Way too much space wasted onscreen. This is how it looks like on my 1080p screen with 125% text seize and 100% text seize in IE 11:

The above screenshots clearly shows that text/posts do not make use of the entire screen. The default design is, in my opinion, not optimal if communication is the main purpose of the forum. I don’t mean to disrespect all the good work and effort made by you guys, but I think it is important to make the new forum, not only fancy, but also practical and easy to surf. The forum would be better off if the design made more use of available space on screen. As I said, I don’t know about how you tweak or design this new NodeBB forum, but maybe we can learn from these screenshots / options that others use:

Like stuff displayed in fields left/right of the posts:
http://i.imgur.com/20vJjwz.png

Here the forum makes use of the entire screen. There are probably pros and cons with this. I don’t know.
http://t3n.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/nodejs_nodebb_forum-software_4-595x322.jpg

A dark theme? I think it looks nice. It seems to have content “boxed in” and easy to read. But it would be a big change from the white:

Re: TripleA Website

OK. I see that there is a difference between skins and themes in NodeBB. I stumbled on this website, it seems to have like 100+ of premade themes to use. Have you seen it?
https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=browse&category=themes

There seems to be a lot of “classic” forums designs to choose from.
But something different could maybe be cool. Like these ones. Mainly because of the colors. Looks a lot like the TripleA engine and logo. Maybe a theme could be tweaked to use the exact same colors as TripleA engine and logo? This would make one feel right at home

link 1 (Right click open!)
link 2 (Right click open!)

EDIT: Or maybe the “theme” and colors of the http://www.triplea-game.org could be used on the new forum? It would make it feel like you are not leaving the forum to go to a total different place. BTW: Is it a possibility to disable the “You are now leaving TripleA Forum/Warclub” message? It seems to be a pretty redundant warning.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle
Administrator
Join frostion ill walk you through how to adjust your settings.  I am online atm in the new forum.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle
Administrator
Also quite a few more changes today including the default skin.  Users can still select their own tho.  I also removed that "out going from",  when leaving the site, yes it was annoying.

Re: TripleA Website

Frostion
I can see that the skins work now now.

But I will personally stick to using the default of the forum, as my guess is that 9 out of 10 people will not change the skin and I would like to see what most see if I am to present something in posts. Like a map or Pictures. Hens why I think the default skin is pretty important. I would say that it could actually impact how many people would hang around the forum in the long run.

Can you set the colors of the forum to HEX code custom colors? Then maybe you try out using the background color of the game engine? Maybe you could try out these colors i have put in the Picture below. It would be fun to see if the website could emulate the engine design. If this idea makes any sense to anyone else than me?

Re: TripleA Website

Or alternately the design colors of the http://www.triplea-game.org/ would probably also look good. It’s not white, but not to dark. Maybe you could try it out.

Re: TripleA Website

prastle
Easier if ya just look at the available skins that just plug in in you profile.  Let me know if ya see one ya like.
 (as Cernel likes to point out)  I'm partially color blind.

Changed it to slate see if ya like that one.

Also if you would like to help work on it frost im ssure that can be arranged np

1234