TripleA Website

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
Administrator
Website: http://triplea-game.github.io/

Suggestion Box: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/new

The green light has been given for filling up the suggestion box! Submit anything and everything you can thnk of. The one thing requested is that each item be kept like a microscope - focused on one topic. Enjoy, and a huge thank you to everyone taking the time to review the site and submit feedback, it's needed right now and is really appreciated. Please do have at it

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron

Hello All,

The website is coming along nicely. We have a few more issues being ironed out, and features being put in place. I have set up a milestone on Github for when we can consider the launch "official," that is replacing links to the deprecated triplea.sourceforge.net, and perhaps doing some publicity about the new site. Please speak now if you think something is missing from that list, because everything else has been given lower priority.

I am very excited about what the new site will have to offer to the TripleA community. The website shall include:

  • A download page to allow new users to easily access installation instructions and then be redirected to game manuals and other helpful materials
  • A brand new domain name: triplea-game.org
  • Refreshed, consolidated, and substantiated documentation, including screenshots and step-by-step instructions.
  • And, best of all, a maps listing, organized by category and popularity, as well as by "stars." The listing will contain thumbnails of the maps with author and map details. Therefore, I encourage every map-maker to lay claim to all of his maps on Github so that he may be included in the listing.

More to come, so stay tuned.

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
so is this forum going down and we all gotta move over there y/n?

it doesn't matter to me either way, I just test AI updates and make a post every once in awhile.

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
captaincrunch wrote
so is this forum going down and we all gotta move over there y/n?
Not yet at least. TripleA is spread out a bit in terms of websites and multiple forums. The triplea-game.org website does not yet have a forum on it. This forum may get consolidated with tripleaWarClub.org first (*maybe*, and probably talking months away)

Re: TripleA Website

Bung
Doesn't have to be months away.

Who has admin access to the nabble forums, just Veqryn?

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
Three people AFAIK: veqryn, myself and redrum

Few questions:
- are we sure we want war club to be the final forum?  It's been upgraded recently, which I think adds some longevity to it for sure, but I'm not necessarily convinced it's what we'll want in the long run. I'm mainly concerned about the maintenance cost of the PHP. If we can find something that runs the code for us, and we can mostly just plug in, we'll save ourselves some availability headaches / DB maintenance. Do we have options that would allow that?
- If in a few months/year we spin up a new one that has lower maintenance cost on a modern software stack, would be better to wait for the consolidation till the, or consolidate now and then migrate everyone (potentially for a second time)

Re: TripleA Website

ZjelcoP

I believe one other hole for new players are all the different rulesets. In the Tutorial we chose to use the Revised rules strictly. But then how do you play global, etc? Some games have good gamenotes, others not.
Some things have been written to clarify. All mostly: text...
Asked around on A&A.org and got one good example of a guide/comparison between rulesets.
http://harrisgamedesign.com/pdf/Anniversary_Rules_Changes.pdf

Problem is it's still a lot of text, and this only for three rulesets. When expanded to include all regular TripleA games it probably becomes almost unreadable. Perhaps the website could offer an interactive rulecomparison tool of some sort. Also to be included a list and explanation of all game-options.

Don't have a clear idea yet of how it could look and work. Some idea's on this:
-Prevent a huge mass of text.
   -Text hidden under icons/tabs/unit pictures. Tab "production" opens up all production rules
-Selectable what rulesets to be shown in top column?
-Selectable by mapname

I'm no expert on the rulesets, but would like to help out filling text.
Think that if you do this right you'd have a great tool and information source that many people will use, even many outside of TripleA once out there for some time.

idea's? any interest?

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron

The different rulesets are an intriguing problem. There are a couple ways I propose we solve this. I think that the table idea is a good one, and we can start working on filling out a similar table for TripleA rulesets. Maybe a Google doc or a Github repo would work for these and other docs we’ll be working on.

On the amount of text, I agree. TripleA’s online docs need to be easy to find, but hard to notice. Perhaps, in keeping with the table system, we try something like this website, though we may be able to get by with a simple, though more appealing table like this website. The dropdown might be overkill, but we could even have something like a “View Revised,” button where a new column is added of revised rules.

On implementation, we could use Markdown tables, which render nicely on the website. However, we may want to be a bit more organized and use Jekyll collections. That way, each ruleset would have its own file on the site (in a collection called “rulesets”), but the data engine of Jekyll would compile them into the rulesets table.

I think that any thing that could be started on this would be great, but I’ll be hesitant to try and code something complicates until the text is already in place, though I’ll be happy to do so when the time comes.

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
I just got this email;

""SlashdotMedia - Fair processing notice"

 2016-03-14

Dear Site User,

Fair processing notice - Data Protection Act 1998

We are writing to let you know that with effect from 27 January 2016, the Slashdot Media business, which provides online services through various web sites including Slashdot.org and SourceForge.net (the "Slashdot Media Services") has been purchased by SourceForge Media LLC of 1660 Logan Avenue, San Diego, California, 92113, USA ("we" or "us").

As a result your personal data have been transferred to us and will be used in connection with the continued provision of the Slashdot Media Services to you. Your personal data will continue to be processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 for the same purposes as those it was originally collected by Dice Career Solutions Inc and/or eFinancialCareers Limited including to:

* continue to provide you with information (by electronic means or otherwise) about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already received or enquired about;
* carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
* provide you with the information and services you request from us;
* tell you about changes to the Slashdot Media Services; and
* ensure that the content made available through the Slashdot Media Services is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device.

Further information on how your personal data may be processed, who it may be disclosed to and how it will be stored can be found in the Slashdot Media Services privacy policy available at: http://www.slashdotmedia.com/privacy-statement/

You can ask us to remove all your account data, stop processing your personal data and to stop contacting you for marketing purposes at any time.
* For SourceForge.net, please contact us at sfnet_ops@slashdotmedia.com
* For Slashdot, please contact us at privacy@slashdot.org
* For FreeCode, please contact us at freecode-privacy@slashdotmedia.com
* For SlashdotMedia.com, please contact us at sfnet_ops@slashdotmedia.com

Please let us know if you have any queries.
Yours sincerely,
Logan Abbott
The team at SourceForge Media LLC"

Anyone know what its about?

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron
@captaincrunch: It seems that Sourceforge has been acquired by Slashdot Media. I don't think that this has any effect on us, though, because none of the services we previously used with Sourceforge will be used as of the next release. Therefore, this internal turmoil over there doesn't mean a whole lot, other than we made the right call to pick Github. The migration to Github has been completed, and I believe we shall be finished with Sourceforge as soon as the next release takes place.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

ZjelcoP
Red,

I'm putting some attention into the facebook page. Could be a great way to reach many more people.
Already updated links to the new website. Could you put a Page Plugin on the website, so people can go there directly from the website. Also you can put a like-button on there to draw more attention to the website. If agreed I'll send you the code.

Cheers

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron
@ZjelcoP: I agree that that is a good idea. Feel free to send me that code, and I'll try to add it in where I see best (unless you have a suggestion, because I was thinking the footer). I probably could add a like button too, so send me the code for that too if you will.

If you would like to discuss this more, start a Github issue. However, I'll encourage you to check out TripleA's Gitter rooms. There is one for the devs, one for the map project, and one for the website, but I could add one for social media where we could talk about that specifically, and @aaalafayette and I often are checking those every few hours, so if you come on, we can talk about this in real-time.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

ZjelcoP
Okay' I'll send you the code. I'll make a  new issue on Github.

By the way, when sharing the sitelink Facebook automatically makes a preview of the site.

Problem is this is the result:

TripleA&colon The World's Foremost Open Source Grand Strategy Game

It seems some translation issue, perhaps this is easily fixed.

Re: TripleA Website

ZjelcoP
Can't find any other gitterrooms but Triplea-maps/project......

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron
Hmm...That's weird...  It seems that it is locked to members of the Github org. I have asked redrum to unlock it, so we'll see what happens. Sorry for the inconvenience.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

aaalafayette
Administrator
I asked that that room be unlocked some time ago, IIRC it can only be locked/unlocked when created.. My suggestion is to use: https://gitter.im/triplea-maps/Project

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron
I just created a new room we can use. It is open to the public.

https://gitter.im/triplea-game/social

As of this month, the website can be found at the TripleA project's new domain name: http://triplea-game.org

The first post has been updated accordingly.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website

captaincrunch
This post was updated on .
ummm I'm not sure what that website is for if they are planning on moving us to that Github forum for this game ... either way, I'm waiting for the "big decision" about our forums and I would prefer just to stay here but if the dev team moves to the Github forum then I'll register there or if the dev team goes to the forum you are posting about here then I guess I'll go there but I only make posts to keep tabs on the AI development and ofcourse post gaming/war music every 8 weeks

fyi I hate registering -.-

Re: TripleA Website

The Red Baron
@captaincrunch: The website is not involved (yet) with the forum migration. It is a tool we shall use for the promotion of TripleA to showcase engine features, maps, community, and to bring more users to TripleA. It is a replacement to the old TripleA website (triplea.sourceforge.net). I'd encourage you to check it out. It is meant to link all of the different parts of the community together.

Right now, we're working on a maps listing page, which I hope will be a valuable asset to our map-makers: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/A-Page-with-all-of-the-Maps-for-TripleA-td7593538.html
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen
1234