TripleA Website

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
Yes, there is a plan to host a website dedicated to tripleA that is not the source forge website.

There is a call for volunteers here: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/TripleA-Website-Development-td7589352.html;cid=1441050742212-341
Give your +1 there if you can help there and I can send you instructions on how we will coordinate more:

What we are not doing:
- we are not merging or replacing forums. Veqryn or Redrum will need to lead that effort and they are pretty tied up. For reference, a recent discussion on that was here: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/102 . There is on the other hand a clear desire to merge forums in some way. The website for now will just have a list of links to all of the current forums.

Why?
- Github would allow for prototyping, rapid merge of code, and independent access permissions from the game engine code
- we can use more advanced tools for collaboration and modification of the website. There is no sending around emails with patches or code attached
- we would get a much better URL, this:  http://triplea-game.github.io/, instead of: https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/   (and IIRC there is a free feature where we can pick one domain name for free)
- desire to reduce tools and project maintenance overhead. There is an attempt to consolidate everything to GitHub plus Travis (Travis is a continuous build server that runs tests after code is changed). The various forums is an outstanding issue.  Unfortunately it needs work from either Redrun or Veqryn who are very tied up these days.
- github has more robust infrastructure than source forge, less likely to crash, better bandwidth
- efficient review cycle allows Veqryn and Redrum to review and approve work quickly. Without a quick review cycle they will need to spend their efforts on other, more pressing problems.
- github IO is free. Source forge probably won't evict the project, but there are other reasons to move away from source forge website hosting (as mentioned above).

Here is one of the more recent github discussion regarding website hosting:
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/125

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
Administrator
Lots of good points in this thread.

More directly, Why github io? No particular reason other than convenience, cost, and comparison with other website hosting. At the end of the day having some good HTML first is the important part. Where that is then hosted is less important, it can be moved around. I think RedBaron has some really good previews. IMO throwing that content into a github IO repo as a prototype, likely then would get moved over to the official repo and then go live without too much trouble.

What kind of stuff are we looking for on the website?
- organize help material
- links to all the tripleA contents/sites out there, forums, etc. Hopefully as we merge stuff and simplify this list will shrink a tiny bit
- hosting of help manuals
- more help pages, perhaps taking content from this forum and organizing it into a website
- generally provide a nice home page for the tripleA game.

Personally, I'm not necessarily looking to be too involved, but I can help with the mechanics and development process part. Otherwise, this is probalby a good thread to continue discussing the various issues that have brought up.

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

The Red Baron

@ZjelcoP: I’m not about to argue for one system or the other. You are correct that the webpage would be a separate environment and just happen to be also hosted on Github. Github pages is really simple and easy. Tons of other web devs could find it and contribute. Probably the best solution for the site if we aren’t merging. My opposition to the merge is primarily based on the fact that I don’t have to wade through all of the posts by PBF players to find a long-lost development thread. Just that I can choose what I want to read. Just my personal opinion…

@redrum: I’m glad you like the new design. The slider you suggested is one of many good ones that exist, I’m sure. I can include anything you like in the site, hoping to be as innovative as I can. I won’t try to force anything but will try to be as helpful as possible. You tell me what you want, and I’ll try to make it.

@Veqryn: Certainly. This is 2015. Not really an option to ignore mobile.

@ubernaut:

  1. I could do WordPress, as I have some experience with that, for sure.
  2. Always possible to hide the download button on mobile.
  3. That’s how I did it. As stated above, the HTML for the homepage is done.

@aaalafayette: I think everyone here has a hard time visualizing how Github pages works. All of the big boys use it, and I’ll give you a link to its promo page that explains some things.

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

ubernaut
This post was updated on .
hey there, re wordpress i was really just responding to some people discussing svn versus github but i do think wp makes a good tech for building sites. re, the web fonts gotcha i think you mentioned 4 images so i assumed those were images.

:)

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

So it seems there is some consensus around github pages. I think we start with that as its free and easy. If nothing else we can use that as the initial target/sandbox and always move it elsewhere if necessary.

I'd say let's try to reproduce the content on the existing sourceforge pages in a nicer looking way. I'm more of a developer than designer so not great with mockups/ideas/etc but can usually give good feedback on if I like or don't like something.

Thoughts? Does that seem reasonable?

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

ZjelcoP
Wll thx guys for clearing up some questions.
So both sites will run until there's a solution for the forum.
Looking forward to seeing the result online.

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
So github IO and github pages is the same thing ...  :)
For the benefit of the group, Github pages provides both version control and web hosting. An alternative would be for us to have our web pages in SVN and then deployed out to some other web server. Or we could have our web pages in git and deployed to some other web server. Though github pages provides both, files uploaded to repository are automatically hosted on a website (so 2 in 1, you don't have to worry about deployment at all, and it is free, and let's us use Git tools to manage the website source code)

The choice of github pages is mainly so we don't have to bring in yet another tool..  Okay, so I think everyone understands that github pages will be *hosting* the website. It is a big leap to go from website hosting to an actual website.

With that, I like the willingness @The Red Baron. My suggestion for next steps is for you to create a personal github pages account and start uploading your work. That will serve as a prototype which we can look at and comment on.

Redrum or Veqryn will need to eventually create a github pages account for the tripleA organization. When the prototype webpage is ready, it can be moved over to the main organization github pages account wholesale. Hopefully you'll then be able to get admin access to that repo as well (to cut out the middle man for future updates)

There are still a lot of other items to go over. Website scope being an important one. The first version I think should be relatively basic. That first version largely taking over the functionality of the source forge home page, a place to introduce the game and project, host help content, and to provide links to the various related game entities, like this forum and others

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

The Red Baron

One thing needs to happen. That is that someone with administrative privileges needs to create a repo under the TripleA repo called triplea-game.github.io. I will then be able to submit pull requests to the repo, and so will everyone else. I will do the rest. I will finish up duplicating the website content into my HTML and CSS pages, adding changes in areas discussed and in some other areas. Having the repo open will allow us to take the discussion there. For the moment I will plug along at creating the rest of the site. Once I get it to a reasonable level of finality, I will post it.

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

The Red Baron

I have posted the first rendition of the website here. Most things are going well, but note that this is still in early testing phase, and I intend to revisit almost every aspect of documentation, to consolidate everything, especially what is in this thread. Therefore I have mostly tried to avoid playing too much with the docs so I can get the main site up.

Here are some highlights:

  • All-new “Contribute” page to try to fit people of all different talents into the TripleA community
  • The “Maps” page is another area which is just a fill-in until I can get a full featured map and mod browser implemented.

I have some questions

  • What is the consensus on the “News” page? I don’t think it really does a whole lot right now, but I could set up a blog of sorts…
  • Most of the docs include legacy info about SourceForge. Is there any plan to update the Developer guide, or whatever?
  • How will we now handle donations to the project, and does anyone have any suggestions for implementations?
  • Will we host a download link outside of SF, maybe on a free-tier Amazon s3 box or something…

Here is still what is left to do:

  • Slider with a few screenshots replacing collage (if wanted)
  • Refine and organise documentation
  • Continue code cleanup
  • All of the urls have double slashes like this: // I won’t address this yet, because it is specific to the fact that the site is a project site and not a user site. Once it is in the main repo, these should go away

I have spent some quality time trying to keep the site primarily in Markdown, so that others may help with the content editing if they like. Here is a link to the spec for any who are interested, and here is a list of Github articles on how to contribute to a Git repo. Please read the top four ones at least.

I have a collection of documentation in the midst of being but into markdown for eventual merge into the website. It is very disorderly, and from all over the place, but I will soon move to working on it. I can put it on Github as well if anyone else wants to help out with it.

Please don’t hesitate to give feedback here, by email, and by Github issues. Anyone who wants to help write content needs to contact me ASAP, as I will be plugging along on it and we don’t need to write stuff twice.

Devs: I will be sending you a PR any day except if there are major changes needed. I will continue to push in new work in the same way. The master brach will always be configured to the main site, but the gh-pages branch is for staging the site at http://williamdekryger.github.io/triplea-game.github.io, so that brach should not be on the main repo.

On second thought, we have already discussed some issues on Github, so feel free to put your replies there. Until we get onto the main repo, that is where we are.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

@The Red Baron - Nice work. I think its an excellent start and at least looks like a real website now! A few thoughts:
- Might be good to increase the font size on the sections at the top (Contribute, Maps, etc)
- Consider decreasing size of map images as depending on your connection that page ends up loading pretty slow as looks like each one is between 0.5-1 MB.
- Would be nice to see the community page look a little nicer. Maybe more like the Contribute page?
- Thoughts on locking the top bar on the screen so you always see the core page links?
- I think news isn't really a popular page and can probably be removed from the top links and just be at the bottom. Maybe think about what other pages we'd like to move to the top bar? Or maybe think of some new pages we'd like to add?

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

The Red Baron

@all: The website has been launched at: http://triplea-game.github.io/
Please continue to give your suggestions as we work on the following:

  • An interactive download/install page that works similar to this page. I should have this done by this weekend.
  • A carousel of several map images
  • A maps directory including all the maps, primarily being worked on by @aaalafayette right now, until I can work it into the website.
  • A total revamp of the online docs/how to play. This will be mainly what I will be working on now.

Comments, questions, suggestions, or ommissions? Post them here. Special thanks to redrum and aaalafayette for their help.

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

beelee
Nice Work Baron !

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

Ohh! The new wesite is coming along nicely

I have a few comments and suggestions:
• The top ”Contribute Maps Documentation Community” should be thiker text if posible. This also applies to the very bottom copyright text. It would be more visible and readable if it was a bit thicker.
• The buttom metal bar and light grey text should have more contrast. Maybe try out a darker metal background?
• I still don’t see the need for two download buttons. One should be enough.
• When one opens a section like ”Community” I would really like some sort of frames that could distinguish one window / section from another. I know that many new devices, websites and gadgets start to move away from frames around stuff, but I am old and conservative when it comes to this.
• I hope that the videos can someday be viewed on the website and not be links to YouTube.

Besides that, the color theme is cool!
And the old typewriter fonts are even cooler!
And your dedication and work on the new and more modern TribleA website is the Über-coolest. :)

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

The Red Baron
Indeed, the contrast issues in the menu and footer have been one of our major discussion points.

On download buttons, the top one shows up on every page, and the idea is to make it a bit smaller eventually, to fit into the menu.

On-website video viewing has not been considered yet. What is your reasoning? Obviously, it would help to keep users on our site, and not send them over to Youtube...

Full mobile support is in the works, partial support has already been achieved through the use of modern coding methods.

Thanks for your encouragement. We are in the midst of working out many of the problems you speak of. If anyone finds a problem, please call us out.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette

Video + Docs Page

I think it would probably make sense to have on-page videos in the "docs" page. It does look like though the videos have gotten a bit dated and could use a refresh. Overall the docs page needs a bit of an overhaul too.  A problem I see is the documentation is too much now to really be useful. So more the work is in condensing things down and streamlining the process.

For some elements, the process streamlining needs to happen with the game code, not the documentation. For example map downloads is on the docket for an update to be made easier soon. Once that is done, most of the documentation won't apply anymore, and the rest won't be needed.

For now, I think the best thing we can do is to get a really good 'how to install' page going that also includes a link to the game manual we wrote up. To me that would be a very good start, let people start reading the rules while the game is downloading and installing.

Using github issues to organize suggestions

One other point, with multiple suggestions and many different topics, feel free to create questions or suggestions in the tripleA website project queue: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/new . Each topic can then be kept focused and to the point, and considered individually and given its due. The ticket queue should be public too, anyone with a Github account can create a new 'issue'.

It's easier to deal with there, and any suggestions will for certain get full consideration. A github issue is really similar to a github forum post if you consider it. Two big difference perhaps are in how github issues are labelled (dynamic labels), and also github issues can be closed. Compare that to the static labels we have for forum post "maps" "developers" "general", and also that there is a convention to "close" an issue people stop commenting on it.

Then again, I'm not suggesting we get rid of the forum completely (or at least just yet, let's wait a year at least). So to me, these other tools will hopefully allow forum topics to be more focused.

So for example, in your last post, maybe it could have been more like this:

- I background color in the foot could use more contract (github issue #5, link)
- Abc, 123 (issue #6, link)

And:

 Good work @The Red Baron, and congratulations on the successful website launch

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
Administrator
I collected the open requests and created some tracking tickets:

#15 video directly embedded on website
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/15

#14 more contast in metal bar and light grey text
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/14

#13 ”Contribute Maps Documentation Community” thicker text
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/13

#12 mobile friendly
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/12

@Frostion, I did not include the frame request, I think @Red has some plans to overhaul the page. If not @The Red Baron, could you create an appropriate  tracking ticket? for:

Frostion wrote
• When one opens a section like ”Community” I would really like some sort of frames that could distinguish one window / section from another. I know that many new devices, websites and gadgets start to move away from frames around stuff, but I am old and conservative when it comes to this.

Re: TripleA Website Redesign/Migration to Github Pages

aaalafayette
@Frostion: some progress was made towards

"more contast in metal bar and light grey text " :
 http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/14

”Contribute Maps Documentation Community” thicker text :
https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea-game.github.io/issues/13
1234