Quantcast

TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
This post was updated on .
I'd like to announce the release of the TripleA Map Creator program.

It's a program that makes it easy to create and edit TripleA maps. It lets you make the map step by step, and can automatically find the connections using the map's polygons file. It also lets you load xml files into the program, making it extremely easy to create new mods. The map creator program is developed in Visual C# so it will only run on windows 98, XP, and Vista.

Here is a link to the Map Creator download page:
http://code.google.com/p/tmapc/downloads/list

And here are some screenshots of the Map Creator:

Please post any comments, problems, or suggestions for use in the next release.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

HAL9000
Sounds very interesting!
Where and when can I get it?

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
Sorry about that... The file is uploaded now.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

RODTHEGOD
what do i use to run the program?

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Sean Bridges
Administrator
I think this is really cool, we've needed something like this for a long time.

Are you interested in open sourcing the program?  TripleA is released under the gpl.  If this program was open source, we could put the code in the TripleA svn repo, and set it up as an alternate download on the sourceforge page.

You may prefer a separate sourceforge (or google code, or something) project.   A separate project would allow you to maintain admin rights for the project.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

OnanTheBrBr
Cheers from Ernie!
Thx ,Wisconsin.
For Downloads, Help, Maps and Links, visit Bommel's TripleA Supply Depot

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Karl-591-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
I'd like to get some more of the bugs out before I decide whether to Open Source the program.
How would the development of the program be handled and edited if I did open source the program?

Re: TripleA Map Creator

EONE_sunrise
I have no idea how to create a map image and how to get the flag files and unit files. Could anyone give a rundown of how to create a map?

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Sean Bridges
There are two options for open sourcing as I see it.

1) Add the code to the existing TripleA project.  The code would live in the TripleA svn repo, you would join the project as a developer, releases would be on the same TripleA download page (as the admin, I would have to do the releases though).  The downside is that you wouldn't be the project admin, and it would be harder to do things like use a custom web page.

2) Start a new open source project and have TripleA link to it (I would recomend using google code, rather than sourceforhe).  This gives you free svn, project hosting, a download page.  This gives you more control over the project, but takes a little more setup, and makes the project a little less visible.

I think option 2 would make more sense.

From my point of view, if the project is open sourced, it will live a lot longer (if you stop working on it others can maintain it), and more people can help developing it.  Even if you don't open source it, set up a web page that I (and probably the wiki) can link to.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
This post was updated on .
For now I'm just going to use a web page with a link to the download, until I'm done adding everything I want to add to the program. Then I'll add it to the TripleA Project so others can continue working on it. Oh yeah, and that will be awesome if you can make a link to it on this website. Thanks...

Here is a link to the TripleA Map Creator download page: http://code.google.com/p/tmapc/downloads/list

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Sean Bridges
Administrator
I put a link to you from the community page.

Feel free to announce new versions in the announcement section.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
Open this link to see how to make a map step by step. Hope it helps.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

HAL9000
Is there a maximum size for the map png-file the polygon grabber can handle? Or is my RAM memory the limit? I'm working on a big map. The creator managed to open the map to find the centers, but the polygon grabber failed to open it.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
I'm not completely sure, but I think it's the computer's memory. I once tried to make a big map too and it didn't work. I ended up shrinking the map to a smaller size.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

sieg
hi

thx for this owesome work

but i have a problem starting the program, in the dl (1.2) i find two exes, part 1 and part 2 i cant get the program running... it allways postet an error message...

any ideas what i do wrong?

greetz sieg

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
What exactly does the error message say? It might be that you don't have the .net framework installed. You need it to be installed for the program to run. You might also want to try downloading and running the newest version of the map creator. (v1.3)

Here is a link to .net framework 2.0: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

giglfoosm
ok i downloaded the map editor and I get a problem where it can't locate C:\tripleA, or something like that. The guy on the first page had the same problem and you said that you'd fix it in the updated versions, but I have the latest version. what do I do?

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
There are five computers here, and the program runs on four out of five of them. It works on three xp computers and one of the two vista computers. I don't know why it doesn't work on the vista one, but I bet it's the same reason it doesn't work on your computer. I'll try to figure out the problem and I'll let you know as soon as I have the solution.

Re: TripleA Map Creator

Wisconsin
I have no idea why it's having that error. I've tested it on multiple computers without even having tripleA installed, and it opens a window to select the tripleA program's game folder when it can't find the folder itself(Like it should...). Does anyone else have this problem? I'd also like to know if the program has actually worked for anyone, because the only things I've heard are errors.