TripleA Blog?

The Red Baron
This post was updated on .
Hello All,
As I work through my task list on the website one-by-one, I noticed an older discussion that @aaalafayette and I had a few months ago about the News page on the website. Frankly, in its current form, it is quite useless. We actually do not link to it in any way, only keeping it for posterity, since a similar page was on the old Sourceforge website.

However, I think that we could use this page for something more interesting, something that would make website visitors want to come back to our site. The system the website is built on, Jekyll, supports blogging. I would like to throw out there that if a few of you signed up to write one post a month on any number of TripleA-related topics, including strategy, map-making tips, challenges, tournaments, and the like, then our site would have some live content, and visitors would want to come back to see if new content has been posted.

I think that this idea would help the website, as well as any people who volunteered, as their project, tourney, strategy, or whatever they posted would get quite a bit of exposure. Reply here if you may be interested in contributing if a blog was made, and if enough people reply that we could keep a blog going, I will add it to my to do list.
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA News Page

crazy_german
I could probably commit to 1 or 2 strategy articles a month. Many maps with enormous popularity have very little discussion of strategy available to read, adding some would be very beneficial I think

Re: TripleA News Page

The Red Baron
Thanks @crazy_german. I'll be keeping you updated as things progress.

One other thing I wanted to throw out there is that map-makers will be allowed to do a bit of promotion for their games, giving announcements about new versions, features, challenges, or the like. Most content other than stuff that has nothing to do with TripleA will be allowed. We hope to eventually have a large audience, as ZjelcoP will be promoting on FB, and we may also inform the A&A.org community and other similar forums once the blog is launched.

If someone has other ideas, feel free to post below. I think the community could really benefit from having this, and I think it would be best if everyone had their opinions heard.

I have posted a similar call on A&A.org: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=37656.msg1521846

Please remember that even if you can't commit to writing on schedule, but wish to contribute maybe a few times only, you still need to reply here, or else the whole project falls through due to a lack of contributors. So please don't hesitate
"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception." - Manfred von Richthofen

Re: TripleA News Page

panguitch
There are benefits to leaving the format wide open. But there are also benefits to having some structure--it can make it easier for people to post, so they're more willing. Along these lines, you could have regular "feature" posts along with the more open posts. For example, you could run a "featured map" series. One per month. And rather than asking the maker to come up with something from scratch (although they can still dress it up if they please), they can simply respond to a set of questions, like the following:
  • How long have you been working on this map?
  • Where did the idea/inspiration come from?
  • What goals or philosophy did you follow in your game design?
  • What aspect of the map has been the most difficult to execute?
  • What tips and tricks in creating the xml or graphics would you like to share?
  • What haven't you been able to add to or do with your map that you would most like to?
  • If you worked with a team, how did you divide the labor?
  • How does the AI perform on your map? Or is it strictly PvP?
  • Any strategy tips for players on your map?
  • Where should players send feedback?
Even if they don't reply to these questions as such, posters can at least consider them, so that the posts are more than just an expanded version of the game description in the repository. Similarly, you could have a player spotlight:
  • How long have you been playing TripleA?
  • How did you discover it?
  • Which map is your favorite?
  • Which side do you prefer?
  • How would you describe your strategic philosophy?
  • Which other player do you most admire?
And a dev spotlight, etc.

Greyhawk Wars
TripleA in the original Dungeons & Dragons world

Re: TripleA Blog?

Ruin
I'm a writer and ran a semi-popular blog for years.  I think this is a great idea.  However, with all due respect, I would not feel comfortable contributing at this time.  This is due to an incident at the warclub forums. I tried to make a ranking of players with commentary/opinion to follow, similar to idk, kenpom. Controversy ensued.

What does this have to do with a TripleA blog?  Simply put, who wants to spend time on an article only to have it banned for violating rules not yet in existence, permanently edited - with misspellings introduced, or caught up in a bureaucratic tangle with a committee of moderators?  (One can do all these things in the publishing world but at least earn money for the trouble)

I'm not saying this to elicit sympathy to my (now-defunct) cause; I'm simply pointing out that experiences like my own may make potential contributors understandably wary.

Re: TripleA Blog?

crazy_german
If its an official tripleA blog, then the moderators/developers/someone will have authority to decide what goes on and what doesn't. And they should, because it's an official blog. The statements made there would be in a way a statement by TripleA as an entity. I see no reason for the leadership of TripleA to be making statements on player skill at all. If you want to post content like that, I suggest creating a 3rd party website, where law-abiding you could post whatever you want.

This blog isn't starting yet and would of course have a rule list outlined by the time it is launched.

Re: TripleA Blog?

Has this idea gone anywhere?
Correctly crazy, disingenuously German