TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

RogerCooper
notifications.txt
I spell-checked the entire file. I left the British spellings in.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Source forge mangles any "https" links, I edited the link

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Website prerelease link has been updated, current candidate version is: 1.9.0.0.2689

Alright folks - we are not aware of any issues in this version (at least introduced since 1.8.0.9). Please give the prerelease a try.

If nobody finds anything majorly wrong in the next week or two, this version will be the 1.9 release

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

ZjelcoP
@RogerCooper
Thanks for noticing and coming with the spelling checker. Hadn't thought of that!
Indeed caught quite a few errors going through all text-files, maybe overestimated my foreign language skills.
Made good use of the file.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

RogerCooper
Was a decision ever made about US vs UK spelling? I noticed the British "armour" as opposed to American "armor".

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Administrator
I'm not about to change or ask the tutorial be updated to have consistent US spelling, it also is a bit stylized, so it being different from the game is okay. The game engine is 90% US spellings, not worth changing that to be consistently UK spellings, so for better or worse the precedent is US spelling in the game engine.

We should not be using the term "armour" though, we'll get that fixed..

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

simon33
I've opened an issue at last which includes the svn diff output.

I don't think I mentioned issues with the documentation? There's only a couple of minor things I'm aware of.

BTW, did you consider going to compiled XML to reduce the size of the download? Googling I find Java has some support for this. Now, it's a two stage process to download it. I understand there is also a performance benefit.

Another issue I'm not sure if you're aware of is that once you install the Balanced Mod support files the OOB G40 gets Java errors. Can't Balance Mod be included in the list of games rather than needing to load up a save file, and remove those errors in both setups? You're going to tell me that's the Balance Mod people causing that problem.

All in all, a great release allowing not needing to press space from what I've seen.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

RogerCooper
Where is the game.dtd file?

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

ZjelcoP
Have you considered posting a link on A&A.org?
Think you'll find a lot of people there eager to test it.
Maybe that will make the lobby more active to test live action.

Also is there a simple how-to about putting up a bot? Want to put one up in new lobby.
Did it in the past, but forgot how. Can't easily find any info on it, or am just missing it.
If there isn't that might be a good one to have, might increase bots.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

prastle

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Administrator
One thing to be careful of, the bots would need to use the new github hosted maps. I've been looking into how to do that and have not yet had luck. If anyone determines how to do so, please share the configuration information.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

ZjelcoP
Thanks!

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

ZjelcoP
The file used in the BotGuide (run-headless-game-host-windows, see previous post) seems not to be present in prereleases?
And there now is a "headless" exe-file that was not there in 1.8.0.9.
So has the bot process been altered? I can't seem to find where to configure bot-setup now.
The headless-file itself will not run.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Administrator
It's still possible to launch a bot. The script we used is simply not packaged with it anymore though. So re-creating that script in one way or another is needed.

The 'how to host a bot' instructions need updating, and ideally migration to the github.io website or github project README instead of a source forge forum post.

FYI, the 1.9 lobby is at the same IP address as the 1.8.0.9 lobby, 1.9 is running on port 3304.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

simon33
Do both players need to be on the same version of Triple-A? There's some good improvements in this release.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

Yeah, 1.9 isn't backwards compatible with 1.8.0.9.

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

prastle
Old headless bot ran on port 3303
So if you edit it to 3304 it should work fine

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

@lafayette
With the hours old and latest XML and engine changes, I guess neither 1.9.0.0.2696 (posted as prerelease on the website) or the 1.9.0.0.2689 (that you mention in your post) are release candidates? Or What?

Please confirm what version should be tested.

I would like to test it out and help find any errors

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
Administrator
We're going to have one or two more builds at least, need some changes to help support 1.9 bots. (but a lot of other stuff can still be tested, particularly the latest set of map updates)

The latest can be grabbed from:
http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases

I'll get the website bumped up to the latest version likely sometime next week

Re: TripleA 1.9.0.0 Prerelease!

aaalafayette
A couple of bots are up in the 1.9 lobby. Note, maps have had a full round of updates (perhaps the last time before this last release), so will need to re-download them.

Some areas to look at for testing:
- settings window
- download maps process

We've had a report that the installer does not update cleanly: http://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/issues/1069, there might not be a good way to fix that - but anyone who would also test the upgrade process would be of great help.

123456