Quantcast

TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released, download it here,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/TripleA/1_8_0_5_extra_maps/
or: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/stable/

Play Axis and Allies online with TripleA!

This version is completely backwards compatible with 1.8.0.4, 1.8.0.3, 1.8.0.1, 1.7.0.3, 1.7.0.1, 1.6.1.4, and 1.5.2.2 savegames.
(You can install more than 1 version of TripleA at a time, and run them all at the same time.)

The Developers for TripleA 1.8.0.5: Veqryn, Redrum

Main Updates:
1.8.0.5
- Bug Fixes:
Savegame size increasing exponentially bug is fixed.
Hosts now wait up to 15 minutes (previously only 1.5 min) for players to sync when starting a game up.
Fixed bug where occasionally the game would wait on all players to press 'OK' for certain messages before the game could continue.
Fixed bug with World War II Classic rockets technology giving a null pointer error.
Fixed multiple bugs surrounding AA attacks on units with more than one hitpoint.
Fixed lobby username muting not working.
Fixed bug where under rare circumstances air units going from sea to land would lose all movement.
Fixed bug with bid placement for Global 1940/1942 where British could not place units in UK Pacific.
Fixed bug with unit repairs not being recorded properly in history.
Fixed bugs surrounding fuel cost for units loading, unloading, and moving with carriers.
More stability improvements for hosts and bots; as well as many smaller bugs fixed.

- New Features:
New AI, "Hard AI" (also called ProAI), coded by Redrum.
BattleCalculator now multithreaded and 2x to 20x faster than previously.
Host wait time now configurable in engine preferences.
New default casualty selection method, which can solve complex support scenarios, is available in engine preferences (very slow, and still in beta testing).

1.8.0.3
- Bug Fixes:
Crashing and freezing while hosting finally fixed completely.
Crash caused by bug introduced into Paratroopers tech fixed.
Fixed some bugs with triggers, and various other smaller bug fixes.

- New Features:
New 'Unit Stats' chart, accessible from the 'Help' and 'Export' menus.
Some new step properties for map makers to use.

1.8.0.1
- Automated Host Improvements:
Automated hosts have been fully fleshed out now, with many improvements. You can now set game options, and they now look and act more like a regular host does, with the 'Choose Game', 'Load Game', and 'Game Options' buttons all working.
They also show up in the lobby in italics, with a mark under the new "Bot?" column, and start with zero players. Lobby admins have the power to control them, including muting and banning of players inside them.

- Many New Features for Maps:
Lots of new sounds added to the engine, and the engine can now play sounds from inside a zipped map as well, including by triggers.
Units can have multiple hitPoints beyond two, variable repair rates, maps can start with damaged units, resources can now be purchased during purchase phase.
Some progress on 1914 WW1, many new phase step properties, and allowing multiple 'when' settings for triggers.
Players can be optionally disabled in some maps, allowing more flexibility for free-for-all type games.

- Some Bug Fixes:
Defending submarines no longer fire before attacking units when attack has a destroyer.
Some fixes for online game stability.
1940 China no longer affected by blockades, and airborne paratrooper bugs fixed.
Various other bug fixes for strategic bombing on a map with terrain effects, errors with max units placed, fighter carrier movement, attacking with a carrier holding allied air, comment log not updating, resource creation order, and destroyedTUV condition.

- Misc:
PBEM/PBF Improvements: New option under 'File' menu: 'Post PBEM Game', which will allow posting the game at any time, like during a battle. AI can now be selected for PBEM games.
User notifications, such as chance notifications, now be turned off in the 'Game' menu.
Big updates to included java libraries: Java 6 or greater now required, Substance UI updated and many new 'look and feel' settings available, latest included JRE, and latest apache common jars.
Major updates to Great War WW1 and 270BC.

For a full changelog see here:
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/triplea/code/branches/1_8_0_5_stable/changelog.txt

Please report any bugs encountered here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/_list/tickets

If you find bugs, I really can't do much about them unless you upload an autosave.  It will save me tons of time if you give me an autosave / or save game made sometime before the bug occurred.  Also mention what map the bug occurred on, and copy and paste the error if there is one.

Your save games are in a folder right next to where the maps are:

(Windows XP)  C:\Documents and Settings\userName\triplea\
(Windows 7)  C:\Users\userName\triplea
(Mac)  /home/user/documents/triplea/
(Linux)  /home/user/triplea/

[They are NOT in program files.  They are in a folder in your user account.]

When you are making a post, click the "More Options" button.  From there click "Upload a file".
Simply upload the autosave, or other save, to your post.

I really really appreciate savegames, it makes my life a lot easier.

Please also describe what happened before the bug occurred, and copy and paste the full error message, and of course say what map and what version of TripleA you were using!

thanks,

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

If you would like to support or donate to TripleA, go here: https://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=44492

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

If you want to run a "automated server" yourself, you can use this command:

java -server -Xmx512m -Djava.awt.headless=true -classpath bin/triplea.jar games.strategy.engine.framework.headlessGameServer.HeadlessGameServer triplea.game.host.console=true triplea.game.host.ui=false triplea.game= triplea.server=true triplea.port=3304 triplea.lobby.host=173.255.229.134 triplea.lobby.port=3303 triplea.name=Bot1_YourServerName triplea.lobby.game.hostedBy=Bot1_YourServerName triplea.lobby.game.supportEmail=yourEmailName(AT)emailProvider.com triplea.lobby.game.comments="automated_host"

you can change the triplea.port, and the triplea.name, and the triplea.lobby.game.hostedBy, and the triplea.lobby.game.supportEmail

you can also use one of these files to run it (change the contents as you wish):
linux: run-headless-game-host.sh
mac: run-headless-game-host-mac-os.sh
windows: run-headless-game-host-windows.bat

put these files into the same folder as where you installed triplea
(so they would be right beside the .exe [or .sh] file)
double click to run them
you can right click and make a shortcut to them on your desktop or w/e

For more complete instructions, read this link: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/How-to-make-your-own-Automated-Game-Host-server-tp7583701.html

Jim

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

Jim
The Hard AI is pretty good, but it's PAINFULLY slow.   For some reason, it seems to take forever in the "purchase units" phase.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@Jim - It mostly depends on the map size and your computer. The Hard AI uses the multi-threaded battle calculator so performs much better with newer processors. It also is much faster on small/medium maps than large maps since there are way fewer options to consider. Purchase phase takes the longest since it has to simulate its other phases to determine what it needs to purchase for the end of its turn. This is the initial release of the Hard AI and I plan to work on optimizing it in the future.

If you have specific save games that run really slow, feel free to post them here and the specs of your computer and I can take a look.

PS - Another important thing is to set the 'AI Pause Duration' to a very low value (I recommend 50 ms).

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

SB7944
The game crashes during Hisaichi move  (Hard AI). I get the following message:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.5
Exception in thread "Triplea start thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProNonCombatMoveAI.moveUnitsToBestTerritories(ProNonCombatMoveAI.java:1009)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProNonCombatMoveAI.doNonCombatMove(ProNonCombatMoveAI.java:183)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProAI.purchase(ProAI.java:240)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.AbstractAI.start(AbstractAI.java:445)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.waitForPlayerToFinishStep(ServerGame.java:665)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:541)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:333)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:100)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher$1.run(AbstractLauncher.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Is there a way to add new tickets to the bug tracker? I cant figure it out. Sorry if it doesn't go here. Great game! autosave.tsvg

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

Hans
down load of 1805 from sourceforge does not get through my norton anti virus.
What can be the cause of this?
Do I need special settings somewhere?

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

download it with a different browser (like firefox)
if norton doesn't like, read what norton actually says about it
norton probably says this file is "not well known", which is just fine
you can override norton and tell norton to ignore the file if you want

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@SB7944 - I added checks to fix the error you had. I wasn't able to reproduce it with your save though. The fix is in the latest pre-release jar which can be downloaded from here:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/prerelease/
Copy it over 1.8.0.5's old jar file (in the /bin/ folder).

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

SB7944
Hi Guys... Have a couple things to report

1) I have played a bunch of games with Hard AI. I can't say enough about what an improvement it is. Much much more challenging. The only strange thing I noticed is the AI goes crazy with building battleships. With Hard AI playing the UK in "World at War"... I had dozens and dozens of battleships floating around while German ground troops were overrunning all of Asia and Africa. Other than that... it is really good.

2) While playing "World at War", I hit a point with Germany as "Hard AI" where the non-combat move is taking over an hour (and still counting). My CPU is running at like 50% and using about a gig of RAM.... I have an AMD FX 6100 Six Core Processor at 3.3GHz with 10 GB of RAM. Can you suggest some system optimization to maybe make this run a bit faster? I have uploaded the save game if you want to take a look at this.

3) BUG: I am getting an error message (it is really long so I put it in the txt file attached) associated to trying to increase the memory. Basically, here at the steps to reproduce. I uncheck the box about using this for online games. Hit the Radio Button to "use these settings" and put in 1100. I hit the test... a new TripleA launches no problem. When I hit "Accept" I get that error message (see attachment).

Thanks for any feedback on all this! Error.txt1.tsvg

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@SB7944 - Responses:

1. If you have a save game showing this please upload and I'll take a look.

2. So I downloaded the save and it took about 7 mins for me to finish Germany's turn. Which is really long but it has to due with the fact that you have so many units and have stacks approaching 200-300 units! Either way it definitely shouldn't take an hour but making sure you have enough memory assigned will help so that it can be multi-threaded. I also made a few code changes to try to reduce the non-combat move turn time for that save and cut it down to about 3 mins for me. I'm testing these changes now and will upload a new pre-release later tonight.

3. That looks like a file permission issue. I'd recommend trying to run TripleA as administrator like this link describes: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204784-access-denied-when-editing-ini-files.html. That or change your permission settings.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

SB7944
1. I dont have a save handy... but from now on I will archive anything strange and let you know
2. Yes.. there are tons of units! Most of my battles with Hard AI result in huge battles of attrition. Seems like Hard AI, has learned to retreat from impossible battles.. so as the game starts to conclude.. the AI just retreats and retreats and stacks units. I ran this same game on a laptop, with a slower CPU and less RAM than my Desktop (the AMD six core with 10gb) and it actually ran faster! Weird. Must be something with my settings? At any rate, I downloaded that new jar file and am testing now.
3. I think you are right. That was a permissions issue. When I ran Triplea as Administrator.. I got no error message trying to set at 1200 (after successful test). So maybe that was the issue. When I go to "Show Console" it shows me this:
Heap utilization statistics [MB]
Used Memory: 181
Free memory: 410
Total memory: 592
Max memory: 866
Max Memory user setting within 22% of: 1200

Does that look right to you? At any rate, thanks for the help! I will keep playing and testing and let you know what I find.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@SB7944 - I would recommend giving it at least 2-3GB for large maps. I also made lots of performance enhancements in the latest pre-release jar so please download it and see if that helps.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

Lennard Feddersen
The new hard AI is quite satisfying although the US tends to sacrifice naval pieces to my bombers around Japan.  Still, I have been switching from the classic edition to Pacific & European 1940 versions and it was great for getting up to speed.  Agreed about the time lag - I'm wondering if it could do some of it's thinking while I'm screwing around putting down pieces?

The one thing I would really like (aside from a huge monitor to play the thing on) is to have a back button when I've moved from buying to combat moves and haven't yet done combat or when going from combat moves to actual combat phase but have yet to actually start any of the battles.

Anyhow, congrats on a great new update.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@Lennard Feddersen - Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm currently working on adding more logic so that the AI takes into consideration how many units it will leave 'exposed' when attacking to avoid situations like that. Performance wise, if you post a save game along with your estimated AI turn times and your system specs I'll gladly take a look at optimizing it. Also, if you haven't tried the new pre-release AI jar it has many fixes and performance improvements: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/AI-Development-Discussion-tp7585227.html

I agree on the back button and though it doesn't happen often, when you accidentally realize you still wanted to make moves it would be really useful.

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

SB7944
Maybe found another bug. Game crashes with the following message:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.5
Could not find: <map>/doc/images/worldatwar.png
Could not find: <map>/doc/images/islandsconnect.jpg
Could not find: <map>/doc/images/canals.png
Could not find: <map>/doc/images/44914179.png
Could not find: <map>/doc/images/28835354.png
Exception in thread "Triplea start thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProNonCombatMoveAI.moveUnitsToBestTerritories(ProNonCombatMoveAI.java:1118)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProNonCombatMoveAI.doNonCombatMove(ProNonCombatMoveAI.java:193)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.proAI.ProAI.move(ProAI.java:171)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.AbstractAI.start(AbstractAI.java:469)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.waitForPlayerToFinishStep(ServerGame.java:665)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:541)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:314)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:100)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher$1.run(AbstractLauncher.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
autosave.tsvg

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

Black Elk
This post was updated on .
I've been enjoying this new AI. It definitely seems like a marked improvement over the Easy and Medium AI. I think its great that we have something that works reasonably well even now. It doesn't have to be the Deep Blue of A&A, just entertaining enough to keep newer players engaged. Hard AI feels very close to what we need.

Much like the AI in the old hasbro cd, most people who will be using this are going to be newer players that are just getting introduced to the games. The ones who don't quite want to dive in yet against human players, but want a way to learn the ropes or figure out the map itself. People who bought a boxed board, but don't have someone to play with to learn for example.

In this respect I think it makes a lot of sense to focus the AI on the World War II v5 and World War II v6, since those are both still currently available. Having an AI that can play Classic and Revised is cool, but as those boards are out of print now, I think v5 1942 sec edition will be the go to. I've already seen some posts on the A&A.org boards, from players going toe to toe against the Machine in tripleA. Which is fantastic!

I spent the last week just beating up on the HardAI in v5 (and v3 since I like aa50), to see how it performs from this perspective. About a half dozen games for each side. I didn't have any major issues with long purchasing or turn times from the AI on these games. When the AI was playing Allies I thought it did pretty well, and well into later rounds without any hang ups on turn time. As Axis for some reason the game wanted to crash out on me. I got a couple drops to black screen reboots in the middle of Japan's turn. Once on Germany's I think. Could just be this old as dirt laptop, but the crashing only seemed to occur for me when I had the AI play Axis for some reason in v5.

But to the performance from a gameplay perspective, couple things I noticed. As mentioned before, the Hard AI does seem a bit overfond of battleships.

Battleships instead of carriers seems to be the choice for the AI every time. Could be that the computer is catching something that most of us have missed, but in my experience the battleship is not a go to purchase for human players. Whether the AI can be made to use Carriers to any great effect, could be a challenge, but at least as a purchasing choice, it'd be nice to see more decks hit the water. The AI does seem pretty good about bringing their existing carriers along for the ride and not leaving them stranded, but I haven't seen them purchased yet. And unfortunately the AI likes to fly the fighters off the decks without replacing them, leaving empty carriers exposed to enemy aircraft, while the fighters park on land or islands.

Transports getting smoked. Also as mentioned, the HardAI, and especially with USA, likes to launch unescorted transports in range of enemy air. They're better about not parking them where ships can hit them, (although I've seen UK get into some nasty loops, where they keep buying transports out of England without a fleet to protect them, and just get wiped endlessly) but more generally just AI putting transports where ground or carrier based aircraft can often snap them up. Part of this could be the fact that these ships have no defense value now (whereas in Classic or Revised, a large enough stack of transports would at least put up some defense of their own.) Despite this predilection for throwing away transports, the Hard AI does some pretty good tricks at moving large stacks of ground across the map and getting them to areas where they give the enemy headaches. Often this happens along novel routes like the sub saharan, that might not be what every human player does, but still seem pretty effective at pushing the fronts. It might be nice to see USA gun for the rich Pacific islands a bit more. They seem to hold steady more off Tokyo than down near Australia, East Indies, Borneo etc. in the games I played v5.

I don't think I've seen a factory purchase except from Japan on the mainland. Haven't caught one on one of the rich Islands yet, but again those Axis games kept crashing in v5, so perhaps I just didn't catch it yet. From USA though, might be nice to see a priority on getting those islands, and then building factories there.

In v3, I never saw a tech roll, which might be kind of cool.

More destroyers blocks might be nice. Would be nice to see the HardAI for Japan throwing out some more dd screens, to stall US movement across the Pac. Right now they like to group them together in deep stacks and run away, when most players would probably sacrifice 1 of the dd, to protect rest of the fleet or block an amphibious assault. Still the naval game is still a lot more interesting than it was the last time I looked at the AI.

One of the novelties of the TripleAI, is that it doesn't give up or concede, so you can play out the deep endgames, or just keep smashing till you take all capitals, or determine for yourself what your victory conditions are. Giving the AI a bid boost can be interesting, to see what they do. But anyway, some production purchases late game from the AI might be fun, especially if combined with some SBR on the other side of it.

With respect to Air, hard AI is seems to use them well on attack, UK bombers love to wreck in on me if there are no AA guns around, and the drops they make on Europe are pretty solid. I've yet to see an effective bombing campaign against Germany from the AI, saw the Brits try for it once, when G bought a carrier deck, but they got shot out of the sky. That was the last one I saw, I think v3. But bombing G might be novel if it happened more often. I think new players enjoy bombing campaigns, even if more seasoned vets don't sbr as much. It'd be cool to see some more of that from the AI, or maybe just randomly some games where the AI really guns for bombing raids over a few rounds, just for flavor.

Ai Fighter defense seems a bit tricky I noticed. Usually when I played, the AI parks them in places on land that sometimes don't seem to make sense to max defense. Also, leaving existing carrier decks empty seems to be an issue as well. Would be nice to see the AI landing more fighters on empty carrier decks.

Towards the endgame, along those same line, might be cool if the allies hard AI, would fly more western fighters to Moscow and just keep them there regardless of what else is going on, to secure the capital. But on the whole, I think Russia does a pretty stand up job.

The only thing I noticed that was a little odd, from most AI nations, were some of the non com movements the AI made with its armor. Moving the tank stacks around on Non Com, to newly conquered territories for example, rather than just bringing them there on the combat movement initially to ice the battles. But its not such a big deal. It's sort of like playing a very unpredictable newb, who occasionally backtracks or launches reckless attacks, but has a fairly good eye for exploiting openings in combat, and moving troops where they need to be to give the enemy problems.

I think this is just such an important thing for us to have, even if tripleA is primarily about linking human players right now, the option for a "single player" mode is really quite helpful for new people. It lets you explore the game in a kind of comfort spot, where you can just learn the UI and get your bearings before jumping into the lobby. Since 42 sec Edition is the main basic board right now that people can pick up in stores, so I think we can do to a decent showing from HardAi in v5 would is killer.

Also, as an aside, Hard AI did seem to work pretty well in World War II v3. Axis seems to have the right idea on the European side of the board. Japan by the second round was snatching up the requisite islands, though it'd have been nice to see them open to take them instead of waiting a round, at least they still managed to branch out on the water. They did through the carriers away though, putting them in range of W. US. I guess you gotta expect carriers to be rather tricky, as they always seem to be the unit with the most kinds, at least in the rules haha. But yeah, for some reason Axis crash out on me in v3 and v5 for some reason. Usually happens around the 4th or 5th round. Not sure why? I've had some games as Allies AI that were lasting well into the 15th or 16th round without any hang ups. Just when I give it Axis started noticing a hang up, then in later games with Allies too. About round 4 in. Strange. What sorts of saves or information is best to post to help with Ai development?

Really appreciate the work you are doing in this area, and can't wait to see take off. Like Skynet judgement day haha.

Meantime, I think just getting an AI that is fun for newer players to cut their teeth against is huge. That was my experience with the AI so far, not sure if it helps, but I had fun. Again, great job!

I think this last stable is pretty huge. Nice going all

Elk

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@SB7944 - There was a rare bug with canal consideration that was causing that error. I've fixed it and you should be able to continue your game with the latest pre-release jar.

@Black Elk - Thanks for the feedback. I've mostly focused on the maps Veqryn indicated were the most popular (WW2 classic, WW2 revised, WW2v3, 270BC, NWO, LOTR, Napoleonic). It will be interesting to see if more people continue to move towards WW2v5 and WW2v6. I do hope to continue to expand the number of maps that the AI performs well on.

If you have any save games which reproduce crashes/errors or any stack traces please post them so I can take a look. Also if you have save games where the AI makes really poor moves then I can take a look at those as well.

The AI currently doesn't handle carriers well so almost never purchases them. It essentially treats them like regular naval units and doesn't do well with landing planes on them. This is on the list of things to eventually improve.

Transport defenses have slowly gotten better. The AI definitely handles naval warfare better when the transports can take casualties.

The AI will build factories but prefer land factories to naval factories. Right now the Hard AI still uses the same logic as the old Moore AI for tech so will randomly buy tech tokens but pretty rarely.

The AI currently defends against SBR but doesn't attack with them. This is also on the list of things to implement. Fighter/Bomber defense is something I'm planning to improve soon.

If you haven't already, I would recommend testing out the latest pre-release which includes many AI enhancements and reading over the current development state here: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/AI-Development-Discussion-tp7585227.html

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

I'm not a developer, but I figure I'm writing down this, in case it might be helpful to anybody (please, just edit/delete this post if you guys have a better explanation, or I'm saying something wrong, or whatever).

!!!INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE HARD AI RUN FASTER!!!

TripleA 1.8.0.5 comes with a damn advanced AI (Hard AI), while, at the same time, having a default RAM memory set to a level far lower than needed to run said AI at best on all maps!

Reason is that a too high RAM value might impede 32bit computer running TripleA.

By default, TripleA uses a bit less than 1 GB of RAM memory, and less than 90% of this is used by TripleA; rest by Java VM.

This is a way too low value for running Hard AI on a lot of maps!

If Hard AI takes a lot of time for you, and you have a kickass computer, it probably means that you haven't enough RAM assigned to TripleA.

So, to waste more time playing, and less waiting to do it, you probably want having 2+ GB of RAM memory assigned.

INSTRUCTIONS!:

(the following instructions refer primarily to 64bit computers)

Go wherever you have installed/downloaded TripleA (for example, the "Program Files" folder in "C"), and open the "triplea_1_8_0_5" folder.

(the triplea.exe you directly or indirectly click on to open triplea is right inside that folder)

Inside the "triplea_1_8_0_5" folder, open the "system.ini" file, with a notepad or something.

You will probably see something like this:

#system.ini
#... (whatever)
triplea.memory.useDefault=true
triplea.memory.Xmx=
triplea.memory.onlineOnly=true
Manually change (copy-paste) it to:

#system.ini
#... (whatever)
triplea.memory.useDefault=false
triplea.memory.Xmx=4096
triplea.memory.onlineOnly=false
Now, try open TripleA, as you normally do.

If TripleA doesn't work anymore, just keep lowering the number assigned to "triplea.memory.Xmx" (2048 should be enough in most cases), till it works. You should not have this problem if you are on a 64bit computer.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Cernel

p.s.: Alternatively, you can open TripleA, click on "Engine Preferences", then click on "Set Max Memory Usage", and follow the instructions.

p.p.s.: If you feel like the AI is too slow moving stuff around, be sure to set a good value in game's menu, by starting the game and clicking on:

Game/AI Pause Duration (ms)

(you can set it as low as 50 ms)

p.p.p.s.: If you have other issues with Hard AI, or you just want to have the most spiffy one possible, go to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/prerelease/triplea.jar/download

And copy-paste what you just downloaded inside the "triplea_1_8_0_5/bin" folder, deleting the old "triplea.jar" already in there.

(keep in mind that you are downloading a prerelease; so, highly unstable)

p.p.p.p.s.: If nothing works or you have weird problems with Hard AI or just want to give your opinions and suggestions (playtesting is always welcomed, especially from experienced players), go bugging redrum here (you don't even need to be registered to post!):

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/AI-Development-Discussion-tp7585227.html;cid=1423664410742-421

Re: TripleA 1.8.0.5 Stable has been released

@Cernel - Agree. I actually think this should be a separate thread that is stickied. One other thing you should add is about setting 'AI Pause Duration' to 50 ms if you don't intend to sit and watch the AI move.