TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

_EZell_

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

guderian
is there an example of terrotory effects?

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

eurofabio

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

guderian
Thanks for the info, awsome map and game.  I've first to study all the possibilities.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

question for anyone who deals with tech frontiers

right now, a player can only receive a bonus from a technology, if they both:
1. Have researched the tech (or had it activated by trigger)
AND
2. Is currently in their "could possibly research" list (their tech frontier)

in other words,
if the Italians can not research Long Range Aircraft (because it is not in their tech categories),
but I use a trigger to give it to them.  (or if they research it, but I use a trigger to remove it from their tech category)
THEN it will have no effect

Should i keep the engine this way?

Or should I change it so that the engine ignores whether the tech is in your category or not....

thoughts?  comments?  pros and cons?

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

hepster
Not sure,  maybe I'm over looking something, but how could adding this feature have a down side.  It would provide more flexibility in game design.

I don't see any downside to implementing such a feature.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

eurofabio
In my opinion, if the trigger is there, it means that there is a reason.

In other words, if the player receives the technology, it should have some effect.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

I think your proposed change is good.   That aspect of the tech tree is a redundancy of sorts.... basically an availability availibility trigger of its own.  Just PLEASE dont change technology so that all techs are automatically available from the start of the game.  This would ruin a lot of creative space for future games.  (examples:)

1.  Using a turn based time-line in which to activate tech availability for research.

2.  Using a two-stage research system in which factions pay to have technologies become available for research.

3.  Using the tech system for something unintended... such as a war game between ancient forces, where the technologies are actually support of the various Gods, with tech-type effects.  In this case, we might want the game to remove the  "Athena" tech availability from all factions, once one faction has activated it.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

here are the changes so far for the next version.

i am really hoping to release the next stable in roughly 2 weeks time

however, I am waiting for Rolf and Hepster to release a 1.6.1 compliant version on the depot and have a few people play full games of it.

so FYI: unless you like bugs in a stable, please test TWW and Global 1940 alpha final future (with techs on)

AND REPORT THE BUGS

Changes for 1.6.1.1
* Fixing display error in old paratroopers tech that caused the land unit to appear to die with the air unit even after it has landed and survived any aa fire. (veqryn)

* Making sure technology still has an effect even if it is not in a player's tech frontier. (veqryn)

* Make sure the game chooser menu is cleared from memory after closed. (veqryn)

* Created method to maintain savegame compatibility between 1.6.1 and 1.6.1.1 with regards to techs. (veqryn)

* Removing static instances of all hardcoded Technologies. Everything now done with locally created instances per game data. (veqryn)

* Changed choose how "best dice roll" / "LHTR heavy bombers" works with Low Luck on, so that it will add a bonus equal to the number of dice sides divided by 6. (veqryn)

* Fixing scrambling again, so that even an amphibious assault on an undefended (blitzable) land territory, from an undefended sea zone, will still trigger scrambling. (veqryn)

* Removed game stopping message about unlimited purchases, whenever a unit or item cost so little that you can buy more than 10000 of it. (veqryn)

* Fixed errors in build.xml for java included version and mac version. (veqryn)

* Fixed null pointer error in Dynamix AI. (veqryn)

* Fixed bug in freePlacementCapacity when placing land units in a territory that previously placed sea units in a sea zone bordering more than one land producer. (veqryn)

* Increasing max memory from 512mb to 640mb, and up to 768mb for online games. (veqryn)

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

Here is a strange bug that took me two days to figure out what was going on:

The following two notifications work without a problem when triggered:

BUT this original notification causes a hard crash everytime it triggers & gives java report:

Exception in thread "Triplea start thread" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 150
        at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment.triggerNotifications(TriggerAttachment.java:1703)
        at games.strategy.triplea.delegate.MoveDelegate.start(MoveDelegate.java:131)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startStep(ServerGame.java:567)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:467)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:291)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:99)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher$1.run(AbstractLauncher.java:46)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Typing the same notification into Pact of Steel 2 yields the same game crash.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

fixed, thanks zim.

in case you are curious, the error was caused by the engine trying to first shorten the notification (for hte history panel) by removing html elements, then truncate it to 150 characters.  however, it checks for being longer than 150 before removing the html elements.  so if it somehow goes from greater than 150 characters with html in it, to less than 150 characters after html is removed, then you will get this error.

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

Rolf Larsson
Hm,
seems so, cause gamenotes and notifications are done in html and no special characters like "!" are allowed. Interesting that the length of it matters. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong when I used "`" in game notes one day.
We now have custom dice!

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

i don't know about `, but i know ! is allowed, cus it is in my game notes...

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

Rolf Larsson
well the error sounded very similar to the one I got when I used "`". There are some characters beeing used for html itself, which can not be used within the text, cause html regards those as orders/language code.
We now have custom dice!

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

self reminder:

remove occupiedTerrOf
offensive aa guns
user actions delegate for triggers and other crap
abstract air battles a little
RISK

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

This is minor and it does not affect any games I know of but its a design incompletion bug:

When tech cost is changed from the default 5 using the xml:

                <attatchment name="techAttatchment" attatchTo="Italians" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TechAttachment" type="player">

                        <option name="techCost" value="6"/>                <option name="superSub" value="false"/>
                        <option name="jetPower" value="false"/>
                        <option name="shipyards" value="false"/>
                        <option name="aARadar" value="false"/>
                        <option name="longRangeAir" value="false"/>
                        <option name="heavyBomber" value="false"/>
                        <option name="improvedArtillerySupport" value="false"/>
                        <option name="rocket" value="false"/>
                        <option name="paratroopers" value="false"/>
                        <option name="increasedFactoryProduction" value="false"/>
                        <option name="warBonds" value="false"/>
                        <option name="mechanizedInfantry" value="false"/>
                </attatchment>

This cost is shown when buying tech tokens, but not when buying technology rolls non-token style:

Cost is being reduced from the total correctly for alternative values, but it always displays x cost value as 5

Just curious, what is meant by this first one and how much is a little?
We now have custom dice!

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

ErnieBommel
Mierde, I just took the time to read the list of fixes/changes.
I do second Bung.
Cheers,
EB

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

Rolf Larsson
There is a bug with AAs, appeared in TWW.
If Germany researches ImprovedAntiAir, which raises the AA attack by 1, so 3 instead of 2 and Russia bombs or attacks with planes a german territory, which contains 1 italian AA and 1 german AA, the AA roll is made at 6(3+3) and not at 5(3+2). If there is are italian AAs only, everything works fine. The tech effect is triggered with a unitproperty change, for german AAs only, of course. Should be very easy to reproduce.
We now have custom dice!

Re: TripleA 1.6.1 Unstable released

give me a savegame please of right before it happens