Total World War Is a very huge(dimension not number of territories) global ww2 map, featuring a lot of unique concepts. It is in simple words, extended ww2v3 1941, the way it should be (Imo).
Total World War: December 1941 (2.2) Start Round 1:
Concept: The main concept is the unit takeover, which means there are many smaller nations, which have their own territory and production, but no movements of their own. They give their units directly to their major allied power, i.e. Manchuria, which is a puppet of Japan.
Another goal is the historical accuracy map setup, so I focused on the starting situation in december 1941. Check this link to a wikipedia timeline of ww2, with a map of december 1941 and compare it to this map.
Wikipedia map december 1941
The Units (Version 2.2 using D12):
Features: - Advanced conctruction rules with engineers
- 2 Defensive constructions: Entrenchment and Fortification
- A variety of planes like Naval Fighters, Tactical- and Strategic Bombers
- Paratroopers and Airtransports
- Active Neutrals, which produce, but never attack as long as not beeing attacked or allied.(AI controlled)
- Axis and Allies are full at war (december 1941!)
- Canals and compareable narrow and heavily guarded passages like Gibraltar and Copenhagen.
- Factory damages ,subs ignored in movement etc.
- Lend and Lease for Russia/Britain ( Unit handover)
- Smaller production range for smaller nations (i.e. China has no advanced war industries).
- Many many more....
Germany, Russia, Japan, China, Britain, Italy and Usa.
Minor nations passing over their units immediately to their major powers:
Vichy France(Ger), Finnland(Ger), DanubeAxis(Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria(Ger)), Manchuria(Jap), Thailand(Jap), India(Brit), Canada(Brit), Australia(Brit), South Africa(Brit) and Egypt(Brit).
I´m often asked, why minors at all, why not just the major power or why not let them have a combat movement etc.
There are a few good reasons for it:
1. Regional use of ressources and industrial capacitiy(Example: Australia under British control is able to build 3 Battleships in one round. ) Here it takes 2 rounds for Australia to build one Battleship.
2. These minor powers played an important role in ww2 and had operations of their own, but most of the time they were only integrated or taken as reserve or garrison troops.
3. If they had a full movement sequence of their own with Combat Move etc. it would make the current simple turn order much more difficult.
AI controlled Neutral Powers : Spain, Turkey, Sweden, Brazil.
(Dont be afraid they remain neutral until beeing attacked or join an alliance and then can be controlled by the allied side. For example: Russia attacks Turkey, captures 2 of 4 Territories, then Turkey joins the Axis and is able to leave it´s restricted borders, allow Axis to move units in and fight vs. the Allies.
My motivation: I played a lot of 1941 games lately and there were so many things i considered wrong.
To beginn with:
1. The British fleet moves to baltic sea and captures Berlin...?
2. Britain, an empire stretched all over the world, produces everything in London...?
3. The Atlantic beeing crossed within one turn.
4. Airplanes moving all over the world within 2 Turns...
and many more. Its ok for a board game and ok for a strategic experience not so deep.
Therefore i thought its time for a better map. Well there is big world, but bw has some territories I can not accept, like France and Vichy no Denmark...and it is too small for me with too less territories.
There is the new World at War, a fantastic map from genius Sieg, but for me it is too small and there are too many (playing)nations involved, besides this it is probably the best map out there.
Anyway those were the reasons for me to make my map.
All things changed when Master of Graphics Hepster joined the project. We are now about to make the most interesting, most detailed and most beautiful ww2 global map for Triplea.
The inspiration for the map came from a project for advanced axis and allies, but my map is handpainted and unique, so no infringement here.
that map looks great when will it be finished to play just one question on the colored map does it have western usa and japan just curious since it only shows part of it but it looks great its not going to be a fast game since the size which is great cant wait
of course its a global map, just right click on the image and select "show grafic" for me its "Grafik anzeigen".
When will it be ready? I guess within the next 2 or 3 weeks, depends on my time and progress with the unit grafics. I´m not so skilled with unit design; all i can do is make acceptable units not real good ones. So if there is a skilled unit designer, like hepster(whom i already wrote an email) willing to help, it would be nice (just post here).
Here is a screenshot of europe with some units placed there:
Thx for the suggestion,
well mobile factory is possible, but it can´t have attack or defense values and will only be moved in non combat. Another thing is, that it can be captured, which means my Pioneers should be named Workers or something, and then get pressed to work for the enemy.
Actually it fits perfect in my unit system, Artillery : A2 D2 M1 C4Support, Pioneer:A2 D2 M1 C4Build...
btw did i mention i am planning to use airfields and ports/harbours for this map?
Currently things go well , i collected all the units together and adjusted them. Some look a bit questionable, but they can be used until I or someone makes better ones.
Stumbled upon something interesting, I let the AI control all players and Italy developt Jet Power tech and an error showed up, told me unable to find NavalFighter jp picture, which seemed strange to me as i thougth: hey a unit named differently than Fighter gets a tech. So it seems, that it doesn´t matter what you write in front of it. Like HullaHullaBattelship is still a Battleship; nice.
China and some Minor allies will have a much smaller choice of production. Ai neutrals even less; they stay with Inf, Tank, Art, Fig, AA, and Fortification. No Tech Development for China.
Left to be done:
PU placements, Setup and Balancing, Gamenotes, National Objectives and everything else which just shows up, when you think you are done.
just btw about the unit names. they are almost allways completely irrelevant.
only the units properties matter.
in this case regarding jet power. any air unit that is not a strat bomber benefits
from jet power, and needs a custom image file.
yes, i am finding it to be increasily annoying that units are automatically selected to be things (like jet fighters) without my permission....
right now I have a major issue: i want to use ww2v3 restricted transports rules, but that means transports can't have an attack or defense,
that is fine, my regular transports have no attack or defense, but what about my cruiser or destroyer that can carry 1 inf?
anyway, i am going to iron that one out by having restricted transports only apply to units with 0 att and 0 def....
and i was also condering making a new unit attachment called 'canBeJetFighter' but i thought it might be overkill....
Thx for the hints, I really thought the JetPower tech would only be used for units with the "isFighter" attachment or if "Fighter" is explicit part of the name. It really is used for all aircraft except SBs. This made the JP tech gone from the list, however I recognized that techs, which are not listed under "techAttachment" are still beeing researched and used. I tested a bit and researched MechInf and Rockets, although I removed them from the list. MechInf seemed not to be used, while Rockets were used. Another thing is Paratroopers tech; when loaded they stop in the first enemy territory. This may be from AA50 rules, but in Iron Blitz it was diffrent, if I remember correctly. Shouldn´t paratroopers operate behind enemy lines?
So currently I´ll freeze tech research from this map until it works correctly and/or is imporved.
-I just finished PU places. Looks good.
-Chinas movement is now restricted to Chinese territories including Manchuria, Korea, Mongolia, Hainan,Tibet, Formosa and Japan with the sea zones around them.
-Russia is formally no longer part of the allies, which means no western allied troops in Russia nor Russians in western allied territories. Territories can be easily exchanged. Russian help for China via Unit exchange. Should the axis been defeated, Cold War starts immediately. Defeated axis player choose side.
Played the map 3 times today for about a total of 10 rounds.
Map layout and how the nations are organized makes game move a lot faster than other maps of similar size. So dont let the map size scare you into thinking it will take forever. I found it was a little faster than WAW.
Another suggestion which would help simplify the map is making the canals easier to visualize. Would it require a lot of work to place dots on each side of a canal? I know its listed in the notes however the dots would make it absolutely clear where they are.
Also the TUV difference between USA and Japan is so vast that im not sure America has a viable chance to even stop Japan should it go after the United States. USA should start off with another carrier and 1-2 bombers. Paratroopers is another unit USA should at least have at the start of the game.
Hey, I'm liking the pictures of the map that you posted above, but I need help downloading the map.
Whenever I try to download from mediafire, it gives me an error that it cant find the download page...help?
I really dont know how to use that site
Don´t know whats wrong. Maybe it was something with mediafire. When you click on the TotalWorldWar link in the first post, mediafire site opens, progressing download, click to download and all should be ok.
@ Axis General,
I wish there would be a thread for Usa from Japan, but I think there isn´t. Should Japan go for Usa, then China, Russia, Britain and Australia have a much easier time. Japan can bring some Air and Naval, but only a few Ground units, while Usa produces 10 Tanks and 2 Fighters if necessary in round 2.
Currently I try to gather a few more input on the balance setup.
To do list for the next version(1.2):
- Missing connection Central Usa-Southwestern Usa
- Make canals visible
- Make Azores reachable(within 4) from Washington. When I started map i had fighters at 3 movement and tech on, wich should have made them reach Azores with long range aircraft.
- strengthen russias black sea fleet a bit(maybe +1 or 2 destroyers)
- Rename Pioneers as CombatEngineers( seems more correct)
- change baltic sea Seazone( let SZ27 end with a line from southern sweden to baltic states), but I´m not sure about it. It would make 2 moves from germany to Leningrad.
- Make Archangel back at 2 PUs(also not sure about it).
- add a US fleet to sz 127(sz eastern of phillipines),which would allow japan to blockade it and attack when attack on Usa. This will bind some Japanese naval forces too. The reason behind it is, that a US fleet in Hawaii would simply be withdrawn by US in Round1. So Pearl Harbour will happen there or not.
- point out NavalFighter vs. Fighter more clearly and the Transport loads in game notes.
- additionally clearfy situation between Britain and Japan after Japan attacks Usa or Britain activly moves troops into China, which are not LandLease untis and become Chinese ones.
- Add a rule for Usa to buy(take control) at least Azores, maybe some more Neutrals who joined the Allies later on.
Lots of work, I hope for more feedback. Thanks so far everyone who helped, especially Axis General and red army for all the suggestions to improve this map.