Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
I agree with Heps here, after a few test turns, the first AA is quite often destructive for subs in a time where they should still rule (end 1941). UK defence naval wise is unquestionably high and will remain that even without those first "AA" strikes of DD's. It will just give more flavor and a need for UK and USA to do research those naval techs, and thereby postpone their immediate ability to land everywhere with improved warfare, which was UK's main choice for techs so far (or at least in our games, due to obvious reasons)

For the rest also fully agree with Rolf, looks like a good solution to tanks/mechs and heavy tanks.

And from me too, thanks to both of you for providing an always even better game then before and all the hours/days/weeks you must have pored into this, many many thanks!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Storm
Found a nasty little java error in Total World War 2.5.2 when attacking eastern mexico.
Bug is in bugtracker included is also the txt file with full description. Hope it helps and you get that enervating little bug soon. Wish you a good hunt ;)
Try and you can fail. Never try and you already failed.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Can you post that error here?

Haven't had any issue before and I've seen Eastern Mexico taken a number of times.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

eurofabio
Ok, I'm not storm, but he posted this:

"In Total World War 2.5.2
I started my advance with USA in direction South America and every time I get into battle with Eastern Mexico there comes a java error. The Error happens the moment I press battle start and after I confirm the naval attack. Then nothing seems to happen except the error but when I close the error window a few times the error notice stops and the battle seems finished. Up til now I always won and the country changes to my color and I got a few troops less yet the error is gone.
It seems like the battle can not be shown and I can´t choose units but the fight goes on none the less. And afterwards the game continues without any further errors (experienced thus far). I tried this the third time now and in every game the mistake was the same at the exact location and action. Only the amount of troops was different. I upload the error as a txt file for further examination hope it helps...
A yes and game version is newest 1.6.1.2 and game version of Total World War is also newest 2.5.2"

I uploaded here the file that he uploaded there.

Java_Error_Eastern_Mexico.txt

hepster wrote
Can you post that error here?

Haven't had any issue before and I've seen Eastern Mexico taken a number of times.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Rolf Larsson
Thanks Storm,
I have tested this and sadly, my first thought about what could have caused this was right. The territories that are on both sides of the map do cause those problems(x-wrapline). I have made saves and will upload for Veqryn to have a look at, hopefully it can be fixed easily and be included with next version. The reason I am not so much worried about it is, that North-America will probably never been attacked by Axis forces and for next update we already planned to strengthen the pure neutrals in Middle- and South-America to make the US grabbing of those much more costly.

About DDs and firststrike, I think I can agree here to make it go away completely, after I have thought about it for a while. It is a forced tech for Britain, Usa and for Japan (when playing without national advantages), Germany and Italy can ignore or think about it when they see larger forces of subs heading towards their homeseas. Subs will be rampaging, but for the early stage of the game it seems acceptable and even historically accurate. The only other thing here is: I forgot about playing without technology and the autoset for this, should come for all players after round 2, usable in round 3?

Another thing about liberation, since it is already in the manual, but not set yet: Neutrals, that have joined one side, will be included and shouldn´t it be a simple factory and CE beeing placed automatically and everytime a liberation occurs?
Cause the 2 Materials interfer with the improved defensive structure tech requiring 3 materials and the fact that PUs are destroyed means no advantage for the player, who is losing its capital every 2nd round except the additional defense from the CE.

We now have custom dice!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Storm
Ok I also guessed it was the invert line but wasn´t sure. When the fixing is not so easy done I maybe got a workaround. Just let me know.

About gameplay I noticed a things, not sure if that only seems to happen in my games.

I played a few games vs a friend and suppose were quite well balanced in terms of strategical abilities. In all the times one of us played either german or russian part. And often one too played USA. Yet when one played russia oder german the other did not take the opposite country. So the two never clutched as both human players. The other countries were always set on AI players.

In our games it showed that russia always lost mostly due to amount of troops. The AI is unable to really withstand a human player I know that but still it was often overwhelmed quite fast. On the opposite site when one played Russia and Germany was AI based the russian player needed much more effort to win over germany. The same I feel goes for USA. It has only few possibilities to conquer in the beginning and a good german player does not loose too much troops against russia and then gets lots of PUs quite fast. So in the end when the two meet the USA player is a lot worse in amounts of troop than its opposite. I know in the beginning the total amount of troops is a bit balanced so that when germany and russia are finished they both should balance out their amount of troops a bit. So the USA should in relative safety have build a appropriate amount to be able to withstand. But I don´t see this working at least not in the games I played.

I know giving USA more troops wouldn´t work so maybe one could balance it a bit out by giving more backup (for example AA and AntiTank) as well as support in form of transport planes and trucks and a bit more facilities. So giving more possibilities to work better towards spreading yet still giving the need to raise the troops by bying them.

With russia it would maybe work to give a bit more troops that come from far away. I mean even in historical kind of terms that was the main thing russia did. So maybe giving more kinds of infantry yet letting them come from a bit behind Ural Mountains - Syberia, Omsk, Norilsk, Kazakh would be possible. with Trucks about 1 to 2 rounds to get them to the front would work. And then maybe also giving a bit more defenses would work, to at least halt the german advance a bit, because in reality they virtually took everything to build barricades.

So that would be my remarks for today. Maybe they help ;)
Try and you can fail. Never try and you already failed.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
Rolf Larsson wrote
Improved Hulls: AAdefense vs airunits for Cruisers at 1, advanced Hulls, AAdfense vs airunits for Cruisers at 2
yeah, finally the wirkey class AA Cruiser

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Yes the "Wirkey Class"  Cruiser.  lol

I've also been looking at support attachments and here is what I have come up with...

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Odesa
Guess we are all play testing...

I got saves vs Wassmuss, Dima and Hepps, just waiting for Poho to show up...

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
Looks good Heps!

Any news on 2.5.3? We have finished our "old" 2.4.1 and are really looking forward to start 2.5, but obviously want to start the latest version. Is there any indication, I mean, is it worth it to wait or could it be a week or more?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Hi Hendricks,  Nope it won't be to long.  We have already hammered out most of the changes.  In fact with 90% of the work now done, it will be out in the very near future.

This will easily be the least dramatic of the of the release versions.  Most of what has been done represent slight changes to unit features and then just some further changes to the starting set.  If I had to guess I would probably guess that it should be done by this weekend.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
Well, it should include the change to tech sharing and the change to the AA first shots against subs.

I agree for the rest the changes would be just refinement updates.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

We have already discussed Tech. Sharing and should it be included in this release it will be changed.  Currently it is unusable in my opinion.

The A.A. defensive abilities for Destroyers has already been completely removed.

There are already a number of planned changes to the game.  Most of which deal with unit abilities and support functions.  As soon as we are ready for the release I will be posting here with a complete list of the changes made.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Odesa
HOORAH!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Just putting the finishing touches on now.

Not long now boys and girls.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Dima
ho is a girl? :))
Why stay and die, when you can retreat and fight a other day when the odds are favorable to you?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

L & H Studios
O.k. ladies and gents, the release of 2.5.3 is now less than 24 hours away.   So to get all of you gamers ready we thought we'd post a detailed list of all the changes.

The following are the list of changes in the order that they appear in the game manual...

1)  Mech. Inf. Unit now capable of carrying 1 unit during non-combat.

2)  Mobile Art. Unit now supports Mech. Inf. +1 on Att. & Def. (basic function).

3)  Destroyer Unit NO LONGER HAS and A.A. strike versus Subs. (neither at start or later)

4)  Aircraft Plant Unit requires a territory with a 2 P.U. minimum to be placed.

5)  Hvy. Art.  Unit now requires a Factory and Research Center to be present in a Terr. in-order to be placed.

6)  Mobile Art.  Unit now only requires a Factory to be placed.

7)  Many changes to the unit to unit support structure...

8)  Slight adjustments to terrain effects for a variety of units.  (you can see the changes when the manual is posted)

9)  Mech. Inf.  Att. 3  Def. 3  Move 2 (Tech. changes that affect abilities & support)

10)  Tank  Att. 6  Def. 4  Move 2  (Tech changes that affect Def. abilities & support)

11)  Hvy. Tank  Att. 8  Def. 6  Move 2  (Tech changes that affect support)

12)  Scorched Earth Policy  All Russian production facilities produce no materials when captured (not a new rule, but added to manual).

13)  Military Protectorates & free Materials  New structure for how and when the 3 Minor British nations get free materials from the D.E.I. territories.

     6 or 5 D.E.I. terr. held = 1 material for all three of Australia, India and South Africa.
     4 or 3 D.E.I. terr. held = 1 material for Australia and India.
     2 D.E.I. terr. held = 1 material for Australia.
     1 D.E.I. terr. held = nothing for anyone.

14)  National Capitals  Each Major Belligerent shall receive a Combat Engineer and a Factory EACH TIME they liberate their National Capital.  (If it is the only Capital, if you have 2 you have to have lost them both for the free units).

15)  Neutral Nations  Each Neutral Nation that looses its capital shall receive a Factory & Combat Engineer EACH TIME it has or Liberates it National Capital.

16)  Technology Changes  Many!  There a few additions and changes to the Tech. chart.  It is recommended that you review it closely before playing.

17)  Map changes  Burma increased to 2 P.U.

18)  Map Changes  New Dehli reduced to 1 P.U.

18)  Terrain Changes  Yakut changed to hills & Forest (as it was drawn).

19)  Terrain Changes  Southern Iran changed to Hills & coast.

20)  Terrain changes  Mountains added to Celebes.

And that's all I have for now.

Just as an F.Y.I. the new manual will have only the changes made marked with the  all the previous changes have been removed.  Making it easier for you to identify the changes we have made between 2.5.2 and 2.5.3.

Tomorrow I will run through the changes to the starting unit placements.  Then we will (should) have the release to all of you.

Bringing games to life with imagination and toil

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Ready
Hepps!!!  Great job

ROLF needs your starting unit setup now

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
don't know if it is intended or not. What i know is that i don't like it the way it is. If you are doing an amphibious assault planes can scramble against that attack into an empty sea zone, but only from the territory that is being attacked. If you are going that way i think planes from all adjacent territories should be able to scramble to that sea zone.
1234567 ... 25