Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hepster
There are a few things that need to be fixed.

As soon as I have some more time I am going to commit to making changes and getting the revisions to someone to upload.

Thanks

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hendriks1
Hi Heps, anytime soon, we're about to start a new game and wondering if worth it to wait to test the new version. Thanks!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hepster
Go ahead and start.  I have not had a great deal of time and it won't be happening anytime in the immediate future.  Hopefully I'll have time between Christmas and New Years.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Hey Hepps!

Look at this:

http://hwalls.com/download/5236

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hendriks1
Happy New Year everyone! So, when can we expect the next normally downloadable new version where air battles need to be fought out first?

Heps, hi, I have tried a turn with the .dev, but it gives some weird air battle results;

- German bomber could be scrambled in a fight between naval units (USSR attacking Baltic German naval units) and it got to trow a 4
- none-fighter types can be scrambled, should not be the case, non-fighters should never scramble in an air battle prior to a land battle if they are based in that land battle province. Only fighters.
- The new submarine system works well I believe, a bit less lethal and the new waterbombs etc make it a much larger battle with shifting chances.

I really hope a new downloadable version is ready soon, the .dev you posted can only be played with some adjustments to the file itself, as otherwsie it won't pick it up as a playable version.

Thanks!!!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Ondis
Hey guys.

China Techs Improved Anti-Tank and Improved AA aren't working for us.
Editing them by removing them and adding the Tech isn't working neither, removing the Tech and then Rolling the Dice for it isn't working neither.

If someone has some suggestions for us that would be great!
Or if you have an idea of hard editing it!?

Here is the save for anyone to check. http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=46621658076440255311
I know I know...I am not doing to good anyway!

But as you can see the Anti tank tech was researched fair and square the turn before this without editing. So Im really confused as to why it doesn't work.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Is TWW totally bug free by now?

If not, maybe you want to make a list here about all known issues; with explanations and savegame. Uploading the latest debugged version as a point to start from.

Even if I don't play TWW (which might be a burden), I wouldn't mind taking a look. Other people might help you too, if you are stuck at some point. So, you can get over with the silly debugging already, and look forward to more qualified things.

So we can finally have a TWW bug-free milestone on which to stay pat and cool for the time being, till you guys decide to take it up again (adding more bugs ).

TWW is our highest quality map, so it needs to be bug free. I would help, if I can.

Cheers

p.s.: Also having a clear list of to-do debugging might be good in case Rolf will be back, at some point; so stuff doesn't get lost.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Cernel
Or if you are stuck with 1 bug in particular, if you want, just mail me the stuff; I don't mind looking at xml.

My perception is that, in general, TWW players think that the game is already about perfect; so I'm pretty sure they won't mind if the development stops upon a bug free version of the current one.

Also, it may be better looking at your new uber map as the successor of TWW, developing that; and made TWW into a finished classic.

Cheers

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

patrick
Hey Heps, is TWW abandoned? I mean, can't we expect any updates anymore? It's been very long now since a new update, and the beta version of the planes works great but needs polishing and at least the ability to play it, I can't get friends to set it up as the version is not easy to download and set up as game.

It could be that you at least make the beta the new download, so we all could start play-testing it??

Thanks!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hepster
I am currently working on a different Triple A project ATM.  I do plan on going back to revisit 2.7.7.2. to correct the few remaining bugs and re-release it as 2.8.0.0. .  That should be within the next couple of months.

As far as the Development Edition... that is another matter.  We did that as an experiment.  Currently I have no intentions of revisiting it (especially without Rolf).  While I believe the concepts have merit... I do not intend on pursuing developing it beyond its current state as it would involve another (estimated) 2+ years of work with play-testing.   With my current work schedule that is just to demanding.  Sorry.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Curro Corner
In order to improve the balance I'd purpose that a nation cant make a blitz through a province till that province have belonged to its side for, at least, an entire round since it was captured.

For example,  if Italy conquers Tula (in 3rd round for example) then Germany will not be able to make a blitz with mobile units (tanks and mech inf) to conquer Volgarod untill 5th round.  NOT in 4th like now.

Something similar to go through channels like Suez. You cant go through one of them till a side have conserved it for an entire round.

I'd like to purpose this idea for next version because, like Hepps told one time, if the fight and Germany's victory depends in Eastern front of an handful of Italians units then something goes wrong in this map.

Rusia cant waste units in a province (like Tula or other one f.e.) to avoid a blitz because that would be a present to Germany in next round with the tactic of attack & retreat.

Also the most of Russian's units cant stay for ever in the main cities in order to protect them of blitz because that strategy gives lots of free territory to Germany and that drives to Russia to defeat.

Its true that Russian must have a defensive strategy at the beggining because Germany startes with a huge number of initial units but not for all the match. Even if Russia startes with quite less units than Germany.

Like in football, the team wich playes to defend normally loses.

As the sentence says: "The best defense is the attack".

And dont forget removing power to fighters and strategic bombers on land and sea for making more realistic.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Cernel
Beside the fact that this is not blitz (and that I'm against the blitz rule too (blitz just means that you move on to new conquests after taking an undefended territory)), I agree that, in whatever games, for many reasons, there should be no, so called, "canopeners".

In my opinion the rule should be that blocking territories or units should keep blocking movement through the territory up until the start of the next round of the player that conquered the territories or destroyed/captured the units.

Similarly, canals should be required to have been passable since the end of your previous turn, not since the start of the current one.

Sadly, with the current engine, only a strictly chained turn, like the Americans-Chinese one in v3, allows for impeding canopeners.

As far as a normal turn sequence is concerned, such a limit, with the current engine, would be possibly put in place only with a massive quantity of triggers, for example placing block units and removing them at the right time, or with other similar kind of massive triggering; which I imagine some people would consider hacks.

Good idea anyway, and one I'd much subscribe for sure, but doubt a developer will ever implement it in the engine...

Cheers

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

xAAAx
Me and Ham have been trying to finish a game, but for some unknown reason the game version changes from 2.7.7.2 to 2.7.7 mid-game then the 2-hit bug causes the game to crash.

Somehow our saves get changed from 2.7.7.2 to 2.7.7 as well.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

I have been trying to learn this map, but I am difficulty in getting a consistent axis opening. The problem is, sometimes it seems I cannot retreat from battles, when I would be able to in other maps. A second round of combat just starts without asking me to remain or retreat. I can't find anything about this in the manual, I also tried searching the XML and I can't find anything about it.

Here are two savegames, in the first, a game I copied from the lobby, the Germans were able to retreat after one round of combat. In the second, i game I played myself, they were not. I can't find a difference between them. Refering to combat in SZ 24 with the German Battleship

Can_Retreat.tsvg
Cannot_Retreat.tsvg

PS - what units work best to attack jungles?

Edit - I also got the error mention above, about a save game changing version number. However I reinstalled and have not experienced the retreating issue nor version number issue since. I still would like some advice about attacking jungles though

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

ghostronin
Hi Hepster- I hope this message finds you well. Any chance that TWW will be finalized/bug-free? Thanks for all your work!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

John
It seems like I got this game via my Triplea program only last year - but all these posts are 2012

ARE THERE ANY CURRENT POSTS OR THREADS on this game?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

John
AH my mistake - there ARE current posts.

This game is great - BUT

1.  It still has game stopping bugs - especially regarding the auto-scrambling of air.

and

2.  The strategic bombing is simple too powerful.  On the hardest mode I can defeat either side by simply bombing their production facilities and GAME OVER.  The game's heuristics are impressive but not advanced enough to even replace a blown up factory, let alone figure out how to invade as the allies.

This game HAS GREAT POTENTIAL - but as it stands I cannot play it any more - too boring.  WILL THERE BE IMPROVEMENTS?

PS I say all this with great respect to the authors - I am just trying to share some realistic constructive criticism and if you other players just purchase strategic bombers and do what I said, you will see that this game has a fundamental flaw.  Limiting purchase of one start bomber per country per turn MIGHT help but if you do the math it probably will not.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Thanks for the post.

First of all if you are playing against the AI then you will always win... the AI cannot build things or react with purchases to a nations strategy.   The game was never designed to be played against the AI!

As far as I know there are zero bugs as it applies to scrambling... so again you might be running into issues as they pertain to the AI.

Strategic bombing campaigns can be defended against with the right counter strategy.

If you want to discuss some of the challenges you are facing then you can join the lobby and I am always willing to talk or play. My name on the lobby is Hepps

Thanks for the comments, input is always valued.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

captaincrunch
This post was updated on .
@John

hey is TWW the only map you playing?

Which map you are battling is a HUGE difference with the AI which is currently being improved (greatly) by a forum member named redrum ... for some maps the AI isn't completely finished and then some maps are very challenging like I play the WWIIClassic map and I dare you to submit a defeat of the Allies AI (I've submitted 32 wins against it so far ;p)

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Capt.   just for clarification... the improvements to the AI are tremendous... I was not making a statement on the improvements that have been made.  I meant no offence towards your efforts.