Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.7.7.1

hepster
I see what your saying.

As always thanks for the response Wirkey.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.7.7.1

SB7944
I am seeing a weird bug where the AI (either easy or medium) continually purchases units... but never seems to place them. Has anyone ever seen this? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help. Great game! autosave.tsvg

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.7.7.1

wirkey
SB7944 wrote
 Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, you are playing vs AI :-D jokes beside, this map is not, was never and will never be meant to be played vs AI. The AI just can't handle the production with different production facilities. So i highly recommend to play vs a human player

Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Rolf Larsson
Here is a test version for new features:

Practically 2.7.7.2 with new stuff, but as it is for testing and no balance/stats adjustments have been made yet, it is named differently, to be able to have both files:
Total_World_War_Dev_Ed.xml

What it does:
- Including and forcing full airbattles to be resolved before any ground battle/ bombing happens. This means that the roles of planes are getting a little different:
- Fighters have the best air values, made for dogfighting/intercepting/escorting and controling the sky.
- Strategic Bombers, low air values, made for ? strategic bombing...have a single strike during standard combat now too(bombing run)
- Tactical Bombers, lower air values, medium value during the whole combat with support
- Naval Fighters, slightly new role, can be considered as a mix of fighters and torpedo bombers, air values slightly worse than standard fighters, but have a single medium strike vs. all surface ships now

Scrambling is available for all planes now(if launching facility allows it, i. e. carriers), number is limited by airfields/carriers of course, a full airbattle has to be fought prior to any ground actions, scramble(intercept) SBR/airbattle.

Next change is for Submarine-Destroyer behaviour:
The defensive strike from subs vs. destroyers is beeing removed and replaced by a single strike from destroyers vs. subs on attack and defense. Subs may have a good chance to get away now, while destroyers also guarding/escorting a fleet now. The classical "isDestroyer" feature has been removed completely, subs may be killed by destroyers immediately or never.

Changes (not covered by manual or anything else, values set by intuition and discussion):

Sub -aa strike, normal+adv, ImpSubtech +1 attack
DDs +aa strike. normal+adv, ImpDestrtech +1 AA attack/defense

Str.Bomber - no att/def, single AAstrike A/D at 8 vs. all, airAD at 1, scramble
Heavy Str.Bomber - no att/def, single AAstrike A/D at 11 vs. all, airAD at 3, scramble

Imp str. bomb = +1 AAstrike AD, bomb bonus same

All Fighter AD 1, all adv fighter AD 2, airtransport - no AD
naval fighter single aa strike vs. surface ships at 5, imp fig tech adds aa strike at 6 rest stays
adv naval fighter single aa strike at 8 vs. surface ships

all terrain boni for air removed except tactical bombers

all options for full airbattles set

tactical bombers air A3D2, advTacs air A6D4, imp Tacs tech as it is +1 air def too

airtransports added to airbattles

Happy testing, feedback welcomed.

Auto selected casualties is getting painful, as it goes wrong even more now.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Wodan
Very creative!

I especially liked the Nazi Flying Saucer easter egg.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Ghoat
Love love love this map. After downloading this week, starting over 2-3 times due to the crash, I finally got smart and found forum, registered and looked :)

Now, for a guy who isn't NEARLY as tech-smart as he used to be, what's the simple fix? Download the 1.7 engine and use that for Total War?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
Ghoat wrote
Love love love this map. After downloading this week, starting over 2-3 times due to the crash, I finally got smart and found forum, registered and looked :)

Now, for a guy who isn't NEARLY as tech-smart as he used to be, what's the simple fix? Download the 1.7 engine and use that for Total War?
yes :-)

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Glad you like it.  You'll probably have even more fun after it operates for more than 2 turns. ;)

Remember that the AI cannot handle this game so the only real option is to play a human opponent.

Maybe we'll see you on the lobby.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
Russian capitals both occupied. UK is going to liberate Russia (or at least try it). The huge problem they are facing is that the liberated territories turn russian after UKs turn, which means UK can't build infrastructure there.
Of course that is for all nations, but i have a save attached so you can see what I'm talking about.

The one idea I had about fixing it is to set a trigger that once all your capitals are occupied you switch to "partisan mode" where you only get 1/3 or 1/2 of your territory value and can only build infantry (CE, marine etc) and Infrastructure. I'm sure Rolf will be happy to write some triggers :-Dtww_wassmuss.tsvg

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Curro Corner
I post java error message that TWW DevEdition gives me when i try to load a saved with Wassmuss. I t always appears us. I hope it could be usefull for helping to correct it:

triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.3
WARNING [AWT-EventQueue-0] prefs -> Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
INFO [AWT-EventQueue-0] ChatController -> Chatter:Curro_Corner port:3300 ip:192.168.1.131 is joining chat:games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.ServerStartup.CHAT_NAME
host:173.255.229.134 port:3303
INFO [Decoder -Server] ServerMessenger -> Connection added to:Wassmuss port:51662 ip:188.97.118.254
INFO [games.strategy.thread.ThreadPool:UnifiedMessengerPool:1] ChatController -> Chatter:Wassmuss port:51662 ip:188.97.118.254 is joining chat:games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.ServerStartup.CHAT_NAME
Waiting for clients to be ready timed out!
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 3, Size: 2
        at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.JTabbedPane.getTabComponentAt(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTabbedPaneUI.calculateTabWidth(Unknown Source)
        at org.pushingpixels.substance.internal.ui.SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.calculateTabWidth(SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.java:1348)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTabbedPaneUI$TabbedPaneLayout.calculateTabRects(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTabbedPaneUI$TabbedPaneLayout.calculateLayoutInfo(Unknown Source)
        at org.pushingpixels.substance.internal.ui.SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.ensureCurrentLayout(SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.java:1671)
        at org.pushingpixels.substance.internal.ui.SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.getTabBounds(SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.java:2554)
        at org.pushingpixels.substance.internal.ui.SubstanceTabbedPaneUI$TabRepaintCallback$1.run(SubstanceTabbedPaneUI.java:1643)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
INFO [NIO Reader - Server] ChatController -> Chatter:Wassmuss port:51662 ip:188.97.118.254 has left chat:games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.ServerStartup.CHAT_NAME
INFO [NIO Reader - Server] ServerMessenger -> Connection removed:Wassmuss port:51662 ip:188.97.118.254

This java error appears me after launching, but when Wass hostes it appears meanwhile is launching the saved.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

Curro Corner
I's like to give some idea about navals for the new TWW DevEdition.

Now fighters and navals are good weapons only on air. Very limited on ground and sea and that will make the land units are more numerous now on map and battles more interesting, I think. Before, fighters were the most powerfull units and the "angle stone" of the game (even more with +1 movement's tech added) for battles everywhere, escorts, scramblings, etc... That made a lot of times the AF's first order targets for bombers and rockets instead of production's facilities (that was not very realistic).

I'd give an a new idea/feature to navals in order to difference them with normal fighters: I'd give them a 1st strike with torpedoes on sea Vs ships similar to 1st strike with subs for making more usefull.

I think without that naval will become a units with no too much future in this map except on aircarriers and only in order to give some aerial protection.

Anyway on ground and sea fighters are not now so decisive as before even with improved fighter's tech and that is good.

Now tacticals take a new dimension because on sea and on ground are the most powerfull aerial weapon and now scramblings will be done better with them. Before players preferred purchasing more fighters instead of tacts.

Also removing attack value to bombers is most realistic because that limit their roles only into strategics bombings.

With all this I think this map is more balanced and will make the matches last for more long time.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hepster
Curro Corner wrote

I'd give an a new idea/feature to navals in order to difference them with normal fighters: I'd give them a 1st strike with torpedoes on sea Vs ships similar to 1st strike with subs for making more usefull.
Naval fighters already have the first strike ability verses naval units.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

panzerman
so is this new version playable test version?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version ? New Features

hepster
Sort of.

Apparently we are experiencing an error on round 2 of Russia and while trying to load a save on the lobby.

The whole thing is really early alpha stage since the new TripleA engine has just been upgraded to include air battles before land battles.  But yes it is playable.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
In the effort of balancing I'm trying something new: new prices.
I have multiplied all income by 10 and so we are now able to have what would be decimal prices.
Please tell me, what you think:
AT -> 3.5
Mech inf -> 4.5
Fighters-> 11.5
tac bombers -> 12.5
Strat bombers -> 13.5
Carriers -> 9 with imp carrier tech, 9.5 or 10 with Adv carrier tech
Cruisers -> 11 with Imp Hulls tech

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

moimemme
multiplying all income by 10 also allows to correct the excessive economy Japan had early on with the control of all the islands. Some islands were economically important (Dutch Indies) but must were near useless. Decreasing their value from 10 to 5 would correct some of the problem.

btw, great idea separating air battles from land battles! :)
Looking more and more like a truly great Game!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
that is exactly what we are not doing. It's NOT the territory value which is multiplied. All income is added up as it used to be and then it is multiplied by 10.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Here's something for you Wirkey and anyone else.  Just something I spent some time doing yesterday when I was bored.

Started working on images for the teams.  Just the images thus far.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Shonn
We're going to get Tank Destroyers?

I see a new unit there (and Tank Destroyers is something I see fit in the game, with offensive AA vs armoured units.) - Although I'd give to regular tanks also an AA (Both offensive and defensive) against regular infantries.
1 ... 19202122232425