Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

1 ... 567891011 ... 25

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hepster
orca wrote
A couple of rules questions...  there are almost sure links to explain and if so please direct me to them.
I f you look inside the map folder there is a 15 page manual that explains just about everything you need to know about the game.  Otherwise I shall take a moment to explain the points you listed here.

orca wrote
-how does strategic bombing work in regard to damaging structures, what effect does the damage cause on the structure, and how are they repaired?
All "Production Facilities" (as well as Trucks, Airfields and Materials) can be strategic bombed.  The damage accumulates until the unit in question is repaired or the unit is destroyed.  All buildings have predetermined Hit Points.  The full list of units and their Hit Points can be found in the game manual on Page 6.

However as a general idea Production Facilities (Barracks, Factory, Aircraft Plant, Docks and Research Centers)  start with 12 Hit Points.  Airfields have 8 Hit Points.  There are some other rules about to what point some of these units function so it is highly recommended that you reference the manual to become familiar.

orca wrote
-what does +1 AA attacks mean when describing a cruiser after pressing hot key i?
The Cruiser gains the ability to act as an A.A. Gun versus attacking Aircraft.

orca wrote
-what does it mean by destroyers having defence against first strike for subs?  do they stop the first strike or just get a chance to fire back before the regular combat begins?
It refers to the "Is Destroyer" attachment that allows Destroyers to nullify the Subs "first Strike" and "Submerge" capabilities.

orca wrote
-what does is stealth mean when selecting hot key i over a sub?
"Stealth" is the term that defines the Subs abilities.

orca wrote
-what does x/12 anti air mean after pressing hot key i over a unit?
X/12 indicates that the unit has some type of Anti Air capability.  Since all of these increase with new Research, it simply means that the unit has an A.A. function that changes during the course of the game.

orca wrote
Depending on the answers to above I wonder if these may be bugs... when I select hot key i over a crusier it says 0/12 anti-air, when I select hot key i over a sub it says 3/13 for anti-air combat
The reason the Cruiser says 0/12 is because there was a bug originally that did not allow us to trigger the behavior during the game.  So Cruisers had to be set at 0 A.A. strength in order for the ability to work later in the game when the appropriate Technology was researched.  This will be changed in the near future as changes to the Stable release have corrected the original issue.

Hope that helps.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
I don't see this need to so largely increase the capabilities of the USA. They are quite well represented by the situation in 1941. If we let them expand for 4-5 turns they have become quite a power, and then there are 3 strong allied powers against 2 for the axis + a usually small Italy.

The USSR is quite capable of defending itself long enough for the allies to open all kinds of problems for the axis, be it through bombing or through landings (norway is impossible to hold, an exiled allies factory quickly build and there go the units towards the USSR and menacing Finland.

We have much ground to cover in testing yet, but I don't see ANY need to start on the USA...

Unfortunately we are now unable to continue as 1.6.1.3 has been removed and the release itself can't be sent by me as too large, zipped to the max. My friend is unable to obtain this version, so we are for the moment stuck...could 1.6.1.3 be posted one more time or at least the files required for TWW 2.5.3 updated, as they still link to 1.6.1.3 which is now gone and replaced by 1.6.1.4.....

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

i don't know why you think you 2.5.3 is linked to anything

1.6.1.4 can open ALL maps made for previous versions of triplea

and 1.6.1.4 is hosted on the same site, and roughly the same size, as 1.6.1.3...... so i'd recommend just downloading 1.6.1.4

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
Yes, maps, but can you also play a game saved in 1.6.1.3 under 1.6.1.4?

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

I wrote many times in every place where you could download it, that 1.6.1.4 can load 1.6.1.2/3 savegames, and is fully backwards compatible with ALL previous triplea savegames (any savegame from 1.5.2 and later).

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

sonrix
What about uploading version 2.5.3 to sourceforge. It does work with the actual trippleA.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
sonrix wrote
What about uploading version 2.5.3 to sourceforge. It does work with the actual trippleA.

Not quite sure what you mean?  What does "the actual tripleA" mean?

BTW, at some point in the near future the new 2.5.3 will be up-loaded to the repository.  There were just a few things that need to modified for the stable release.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

sonrix
I thought the reason you have made the prerelease was the lacking compatabilty with the old lobby 1.6.2.
As this is solved, I wonder why you don't make it easily available.

Version 2.5.4 available from map depot

Rolf Larsson

Version 2.5.4 available from map repository, the normal way to download maps.

Nothing changed from 2.5.3, only PBEM post turn summary added to gather the minor turns before allow posting and the Cruiser AA from start changed to come with the technology only, means the warning: AA will fire, is gone for cruiser without the tech, that makes them act as AAs.

Have fun, happy new year!
We now have custom dice!

Re: Version 2.5.4 available from map depot

Jean-Pat
Hi all,

Here is a savegame in round 12 with lots of tech advancements on both sides.

sonrix12.tsvg
Thx for this incredible map

Re: Version 2.5.4 available from map depot

Rolf Larsson
thx Jean,

Seems to work fine without any problems so far.

For balancing things out, a lot more savegames for analysis would be great, so please upload savegames taken at the end of the game here.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Version 2.5.4 available from map depot

Jean-Pat
Here is another savegame.

Allies did not so bad in the pac, partially due to luck. autosave.tsvg

I think japan need less starting air in mainland japan (2-3) to balance the pac.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Epervier
Magnificent map !

It sets the new standards for triple A.

I seem to have a problem with the enemy AI. In the few solo games i've played so far, some AI seem to stop producing correctly by turn 10 or so.

Also, in my last game i played Germany and the UK and USA were not making attempts unload troops in Europe. Coupled together, these two problems made the game really unchallenging.

Was this map designed to be played only in multiplayer? Am I missing something?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hepster
Thank you.  We are very happy with where the game has made it to thus far in its development.

And yes.  The game was never designed to be played against the A.I.  Simply, there are way too many variables for any of the A.I. to deal with.  In all likelihood TripleA may never have an A.I. that can adequately
deal with all the variables within the game in order to be an effective opponent.

The game has been designed to be played with other human opponents.  So join the Lobby and find one of the growing list of people that play the map.  I'm always willing to play and help new players learn.  Just look for Hepps on the lobby.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Dima
Ok, long time has past since i posted on the thread reguarding TWW, but that dosent meen that i didnt lookd around. So after i have playd with the last version of 2.5 and wached some games going on i have comed to the fallowing short conclusions :

- Axis wins in every situation ( Russia is 2 weak, plays a defensive war from the start to the end, China is overwhelmd by the masive Japanese army and USA has a war contribution under Italy)

- The tech tree is to big to have a nice and fun impact on the gameplay ( specialy when ther ar 42 tech and a average game lasts about 10 round, and in 10 rounds you get about 6-7 techs)

- On the long term this game turned in to a game of Inf and Airplanes, Inf cuz they ar the cannon-meat and Airplanes cuz of the firepower and 6 movement range

My short suggestions on for this version ar:

-Increase the PU value of Leningrad at 3 and give russia a few more Inf from the start
-Increase the total PU production of China with atleast 2pu and give them more Inf
-Increase the total PU of USA and give them more Inf and Navy from the start

-Rethink the tech tree and make it more simpler and to have a better impact overall, from 42 techs turn it in a 21 tech tree combaining 2 techs in 2 a single 1, for example Production giveing 1 free material & 3pu, Imp Tanks= the current Imp + SPA, etc

- Nerf/remove the +2 range for aircrafts cuz it kills the gamplay, or if you redesigne the tech tree make it a single tech that gives only +1 movement range, so that a fighter will have a maximum of 5 movement

Cheers, sry for the bad english like allways
PS: The Wirkey Class Cruiser is a good unit now and atractive:)
Why stay and die, when you can retreat and fight a other day when the odds are favorable to you?

Sharing your opinion is good, uploading saves is better, at this moment.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Dima
sonrix.tsvg
A classic game of Inf and Airpower warfare. PS its round 13 and all the major powers have a avrage of 8 techs, thats equal to 20% of the total techs, and the only adv. unit in the game is Adv. Fighter, the avrage game takes about 15 rounds to see ho is winning, and i dont think that its ok that each player should have only 1 adv unit and 20% of the total techs.
Cheers
Why stay and die, when you can retreat and fight a other day when the odds are favorable to you?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Rolf Larsson
Thx for uploading.

What a nonsense to buy airunits like this, but sure if all players choose to buy so many airunits and invest in airtechs, instead of groundunits and groundtechs, with much better values and much more hits, you get a game like this. For balancing this game is not interesting, more as an extreme example of how to not play this map. Seems like there is a high tendency to simplify strategies, can only guess, that this is because there would be too much to think about otherwise.

Sure 12 techs are much better to have researched every technology at the end of the game, without beeing forced to make any choices and leave none for those who want to have interesting games.

We now have custom dice!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

not that i've played tww, but as a general thought I would be against players or teams owning more than 40% of the techs by the time a game is 'basically over'

owning all the techs means you never get to really specialize in one...  which is sort of the point when you have a multi-tiered tech chart

i'd say 20-40% is about the right amount tbh

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

eurofabio
I know that is not possible so far...but if the players could research more than one tech by turn?
1 ... 567891011 ... 25