Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

1 ... 45678910 ... 25

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
@Veqryn: for a long time now we have the "No Notifications" option, which was made for PBEM/PBF and for speedup, it skipes those images.

@Hendricks:If I would be aware of it, I would have mentioned, cause in normal liveplay it changes nothing.
AA things are removed for destroyers, for subs it is there, the only other thing that is there is the AA for Cruisers at 0, which gets get displayed, but has no effect. It is engine related thing, can´t currently set it with a trigger, but with the next stable there will be an update for TWW taking care of this.

Question: Why don´t you start a normal local game, select the fodder ai for neutrals, do your turns, save and then send the save file by email, seems easier and allows to have ai in. Opponent takes the save does his turn...saves send...just a thought.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

only pbem/pbf has registered dice emails (prevents cheating)

local play does not, and can not be trusted

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
Correct, and it posts the official turn to a forum board of axis and allies. Not that I wouldn't trust my opponent, but even all edits are officially registered in that forum. I know you could copy a review of the turn and post that somewhere but why do that when this excellent option exists. Most important indeed are the registered dice rolls.

In short, I would expect PBEM to work in the same way as the other options, but if the TWW set up doesn't allow it, I would just enter a small remark in the game guide. It doesn't happen all the time, so far we have seen it for Germany and for Japan, not sure about Russia but def not for China. It looks like the turn is already over and you have to press done a few times until the notification comes up and then the actual turn starts.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
Really have to check out the pbem/pbf, no idea what registered dice rolls are or how they work.

You can see every edit in gamehistory as well as check all the dicerolls and battles, Game->Show history.
You have to end one turn for every minor (finland, vichy, danube in case of germany) before the major turn.
Well trusting my opponent..., if you do play more often, you do it to enjoy, not to win at all cost, the constant save and reload and save when battle turned out good for you might be an option, but I doubt that many players would do it.
However, it raises the question, why don´t we have a NoLuck system. Could work like LowLuck with only the remaining values beeing compared and added to next round before next comparisson.
Example: LL, attacker rolls at 4, defender rolls at 2, 6sided dice, 4-2=2 which is just added to the remaining value next round, next round attacker rolls at 4+2= one more hit, defender rolls at 3, 3 is saved for next round beeing added etc. just a quick thought, not very deeply thought about it, especially with subs first strike, which would need a seperate sum up and comparisson.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
Forgot to mention:

There might be people with strange electronics and software out there, like Poho with his mac.In order to enjoy 2.5.3 just delete the objectives.properties file from the tww folder or .zip file, then playing with the current stable 1.6.1.2 should be possible without any errors, sorry.
We now have custom dice!

Installing on a mac

Boilermadman
I'm a newbie with one of those macs.  Can you tell me how to step by step install the latest game engine and TWW.  I have it downloaded onto the desktop but can't get it to work.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Ok, problem solved if you change some stuff in your xml.

new for xml's:
        a "step" may also include an option called "stepProperty", which has "name" and "value" attributes.
                These stepProperty options are not validated at all, so if you have a typo it will not be caught.
                Currently allowed stepProperty options:
                        For any "EndTurn" delegate (such as EndTurnDelegate or NoPUEndTurnDelegate or etc):
                                skipPosting = true/false (default is false). Do we skip the Play-by-Email/Play-by-Forum turn summary and savegame Posting?
                                turnSummaryPlayers = a list of players, separated by colons ":"  default is the step player.
                                                                                Determines which players this forum posting turn summary will include (will only use all steps that touch this step, or touch the step that touches this step AND is owned by one of these listed players)

example:

                                <step name="americanEndTurn" delegate="endTurn" player="Americans">
                                                <stepProperty name="skipPosting" value="false"/>
                                                <stepProperty name="turnSummaryPlayers" value="Americans:Chinese"/>
                                </step>

so in other words, use skipPosting = true on all the end turns that you don't want to have post to the forum

and you can use turnSummaryPlayers = major:minor1:minor2:minor3  so that the turn summary includes all the minor players

you have to try using it in pbem play to see if it works, and see if the message is posted correctly

triplea will not validate the above stuff, that is why you must test it in pbem yourself

(i'll release a new prerelease so that you can test it)

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
Awesome Veqryn,

Just set up and tested, works perfectly fine. Gathered the minors now to be posted with the major as a whole. A lot of work so, cause skipping manually was possible before, but now it is there and it is better, so all fine. Will be included with some adjustments for neutrals as 2.5.5 and uploaded when the stable is there.

@Boilermadman:
no clue what to do with engine, cleisthenis posted something about it in the : request for some beattesters thread, the map itself seems to run with 1.6.1.2 normally, so just check the first post of this thread and follow the instructions where to put your map after you have downloaded and play with 1.6.1.2.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Ready
Rolf Larsson wrote
Forgot to mention:

There might be people with strange electronics and software out there, like Poho with his mac.In order to enjoy 2.5.3 just delete the objectives.properties file from the tww folder or .zip file, then playing with the current stable 1.6.1.2 should be possible without any errors, sorry.
Are there two lobbies now?  Yes, you have abandoned your Mac brothers and started a WINDOZE ONLY LOBBY!  This is unacceptable!  Where is meh unstable mac client??

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

the next stable will be out soon enough
for the prerelease, the zip has a mac script file that runs it in mac computers

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
Playing along with 2.5.3, some things I came across;

Germany attacks northern UK occupied Finland with transport troops and 2 battleships and 1 cruiser.

The naval shore bombardment however only gives 2 shots for the battleships, the cruiser at 3 is not included, can this be a small bug?

Also, we are not able to post to the axis and allies site anymore, the error in TWW says; unable to post, please report this bug to the Triplea forum.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

nothing to do with triplea

if you were able to post before (and you were), then you can't anymore (even though you changed nothing), then it is a problem with the forum

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29339.0

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1 wrote
Playing along with 2.5.3, some things I came across;

Germany attacks northern UK occupied Finland with transport troops and 2 battleships and 1 cruiser.

The naval shore bombardment however only gives 2 shots for the battleships, the cruiser at 3 is not included, can this be a small bug?

Bear in mind Hendricks... you only get Bombard attacks equal to the number of units you have conducting am amphibious assault.  So if you land 2 units,  you will receive 2 rolls from the 2 strongest Bombard units to the weakest,  if you land 4 units you will get 4 bombard attacks from the strongest to the weakest (providing you have 4 units capable of bombard).

This is not an error.  This is how the game has been set up since the early versions.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Ready
Hi Hepps!

Couple of requests for ya this fine holiday season weekend!

1. Do you have a recent manual with all the updates -- the one i have doesn't show correct info on some of the units like fighters.

2. Can you please consider putting out an additional text only version of the manual in PDF?  MS Word Tables are ok for the units and stuff.  This would help me with using the search feature (Control F) to locate rules with keywords.  Also it would help those like Odesa out --  I think his PC crashes sometime due to the large file size.

Now I have to wait for the MAC release to join you all on the other server...

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
ah excellent thanks, this is new for me but makes sense, although....why should a very large navy that is landing limited forces not have the full use of their guns, even though less units land...

The bombardment hits only hit the unit and don't kill it immediately like AT does, so I would not see the reason for not doing above. Just to give those very expensive units a bit more use.

I'm not sure about removing the ability for the UK to build a production facility in R1 in Rangoon. In our current game Japan went for Burma with full forces, to follow that up easily with Rangoon and is now at the gates of Bombay without the UK there being able to correctly defend itself. It does take a lot of commitment of especially fighters but seems to sure of a bet to take on when China is now so balanced that a crashing victory in all those mountains is a small chance even with full forces. Japan-Russia is very nicely resolved now.

In addition to the advanced artillery unit of Germany, it has a rocket which I'm finding quite odd to place in Berlin in December 1941. The first flying bombs did not test until 1943 and went "life" in june 1944.

I would replace this with another unit, preferably an advanced fighter to replace another German fighter.

We are playing with the house rule that tacs can only attack materials/trucks and damage airfields. I think that much more historical, tacs did bomb quite a bit in i.e. Stalingrad, but the hits were at point blank range, as they lack the heavy carpet bombs required for real startegic bombing.

Not sure how the community feels about this, but I think it would be good to adopt.

Is TWW 2.5.3 suited for the new stable release of Triplea 1.6.1.4?

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hepster
Hendricks the limit of Bombard to the attacking forces was done for game balance.  It proved impossible to hold any coast if you could just bombard 1/2 the units before any of you men even hit the beach.  We tried it that way initially and Bombard proved far to strong.

As far as India and Burma well,  keep playing.  We will have to see.  That's why we are test playing.

The Prototype unit thing was just a last minute addition.  Of course those may change.

The Tact. bomber rule may be good,  I'll have to try a couple of games with it that way.

T.W.W. 2.5.3 was made to be used with Triple A 1.6.1.4.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Ready
Hi Hepps & Rolf:

I want to share my thoughts with you while they are still fresh on my mind.

1. Love the new additions and revisions

2. Balance, Balance, Balance

A. Japan is still entirely overpowered and it's actually gotten worse.  There are no more allied counters to java or hawaii, and Imperial Japan starts with an enormous air force and navy -- they have all the advantage in numbers and positioning -- it takes the UK nearly 5 round to stabilize the south pacific if Japan hasn't already sacked China and or India.

B. The United States is entirely to weak to split forces in two theaters -- even with everything aimed squarely at Japan the US player will find he has no planes, troops, boats, or infrastructure and has to go about building from scratch.  For example, at the start of the game the USA only has 2 barracks for a combined output of 7 infantry -- 4 of which are in New York.  The six fighters (2 land + 4 navy) are out numbers at least 3 to 1 once the US tries to split it's forces.  No, neglecting and entire theater (atlantic or pacific) is not a solution.  By the time the US gets to either Europe, Africa, and or the South Pacific it is still weak and Japan has been happily out producing the USA by more than 20 to 30 IPC -- don't forget the US is on two fronts!

C. Russia has been slightly nerfed to much now -- it's nearly 3-5 rounds of sheer terror before Russia can hold her own.  Even then, in most cases Leningrad has fallen.  However, the Soviet Far East is more stable than it used to be.

D. Africa has been an interesting development.  I like how the game is now including the Free French forces.  Thumbs up for Africa stability.

Recap:  Balance is needed in the pacific badly... Consider Eastern & Western USA.  The Western USA should have around 60 IPC to compete with Japan and Eastern needs around 50 for the Atlantic.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

orca
If in balancing it's decided that the US needs to be improved I suggest options that reflect the historical situation of the US at the onset of WW2 such as a small military, lots of natural resources, and strong industry that quickly and significantly expanded.

options respectfully suggested:

get 1 bonus material per turn (placed at predetermined territories but location changing with each turn)
get bonus PU
inc PU in territories
allow up to 4 research centers

This would be instead of increasing their units at the onset of the game.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

or a national objective that starts on a certain turn

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

orca
A couple of rules questions...  there are almost sure links to explain and if so please direct me to them.

-how does strategic bombing work in regard to damaging structures, what effect does the damage cause on the structure, and how are they repaired?

-what does +1 AA attacks mean when describing a cruiser after pressing hot key i?

-what does it mean by destroyers having defence against first strike for subs?  do they stop the first strike or just get a chance to fire back before the regular combat begins?

-what does is stealth mean when selecting hot key i over a sub?

-what does x/12 anti air mean after pressing hot key i over a unit?

Depending on the answers to above I wonder if these may be bugs... when I select hot key i over a crusier it says 0/12 anti-air, when I select hot key i over a sub it says 3/13 for anti-air combat
1 ... 45678910 ... 25