Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

1 ... 3456789 ... 25

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
If you are going for the math only, I'm sure there is nothing that beats infantry, with some airforce (if you want to spend some more money).

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
What is holding up the release of 2.5.3 at the moment?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Dima
Sonrix i must apologyse, but i cant be on today to continue ower game at 13.00 central Europe time
Why stay and die, when you can retreat and fight a other day when the odds are favorable to you?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

sonrix
No, problem. Thanks for letting me know!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

sonrix
I fear the game is pretty unbalanced.

Building just infantry and airforce and a few materials for additional barracks and airfields will destroy allmost everything at lower cost.

It is really easy to destroy any defending force. Japan can easily concentrate 15-20 planes for land or seabattle once it has improved and/or advanced aircarft range.

As an US fleet needs rounds to cross any sea. This means it must be strong enough to withstand the aircraft build up of three Japanese/four Italien and three-four German rounds together with defending fleets.  Usually any fleet send to Japan area is destroyed by much less cost for the defender, simply because land based aircraft can be easily concentrated and join a counter attack.

I would strongly argue, that aircrafts should be made much harder to use:

- no improved and advanced aircraft range for existing fighters and bombers, rather introduce new planes with extended range, but less fighting power or much higher cost, that come available once you research improved and advanced aircraft range. Or do different range techs for each aircraft type. (improved fighter tech, improved naval fighter range, ...) So that you have to do multiple research before you can concentrate all you aircraft.

- improved fighters - should be broken up into more techs for each fighter type. For player having armies consisting of a mix of infantry and naval and ordinary fighters this one tech upgrades all units attacking every turn at once.

- maybe impose a limit of planes being effective in battle for the attacker. Maybe for each 3 attacking land or sea units one aircraft can be used at normal stats all other aircraft fighting with a huge penalty. That way it makes sence to have other units in play.

- or do something like weather, so that aircraft can not interfere, if you have a bad weather roll. If the use of aircraft is not 100% reliable, people will need different strategies and a different unit mix.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

wirkey
That is where the Wirkey-Class AA-Cruiser comes into play :)

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
Hi Sonrix, I think we just need to wait for 2.5.3 to be released as it is now and start on balance issues after, I have never seen in any game the mass use of infantry as it's so easy to wipe out without any support, so I don't know what you are getting at. And for japan to be able to build up sufficiently on infantry on Asian soil will take a long time and the enemy won't sit still that period, so not sure what the advantage would be. I tried a strategy once of building only or almost only infantry with russia and although I was able to defend Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad fell easily, as my stacks of infantry got beaten up as I beat up the armies that beat me before, a nice back and forth historical game. Since very high output of infantry is almost impossible until R3 (new barracks), it won't make much impact.

For the Axis, early attacks making use of their weapons and advantage early in the game should not be forgotten. But when those first few rounds fail, it does indeed get very difficult for the Axis, but from R1 if things work along a bit, I think they have a real chance.

I really hope 2.5.3 can be released today as we are all waiting and Triplea 1.6.1.3 seems to be working fine.

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

Rolf Larsson
Total World War 2.5.3

works only with the new prerelease I think, triplea 1.6.1.3:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/prerelease/

will be uploaded to map repository when the stable is out with small changes if needed as 2.5.4.

Meanwhile enjoy it with good new sounds and Technology overview and prototypes

Have fun with it,
Hepps and Rolf
We now have custom dice!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

can you guys please stop using mediafire, and switch to using sendspace
mediafire is blocked here

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
GREAT!!!! Thanks Rolf!

A german rocket in Berlin and heavy atrillery, a heavy tank for USSR. Good ways to represent the german heavy guns and the T34 end 1941 but the german rocket? The first V1 didn't fly until 1944.

But interesting and gives many possibilities with germany's 2 bombers. New for me as I've never tried an attack with rockets and bombers combined, I believe the early rockets can be intercepted right?

What about the guide, are the notes in the game updated with regards to techs etc?

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

L & H Studios
First posts edited, all files and info, including a sendspaceupload.
Bringing games to life with imagination and toil

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
Thanks thanks thanks!!!! Starting playtesting immediately!

Re: Total World War: December 1941 Version 2.5

hendriks1
The german rocket in Berlin can be flown everywhere like a plane, no truck needed to move it as the manual states, or am I seeing that wrong? (I could do it both in combat and non combat move, moving it 2 spaces to friendly territory).

A general question, does anybody ever have scrolling issues with Triplea?? I can never in any topic get further down then a few posts and then the scroll is at an end while the page is far from finished. I don't seem to have it in any other sites. I need to select the last post and scroll down like that pulling it lower.

Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
Sorry to report this, cannot start 2.5.3 the game due to no actions possible. Opening the game, selecting PBEM, entering the correct forum ID from axis and allies. Did upgrade to Triplea 1.6.1.3.

Press play, it starts and opens with the german bid for settings, selected bonus tech and shared tech, placed them in Greenland, bid over, continue, summary for german move, done, summary for finland, etc etc. Music plays though.

So, NO action moves combat or non combat can be played.

This is only in PBEM, not in local mode.

Please fix ASAP....game cannot be played with a human opponent on PBEM.

Thanks!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
Game CAN be played, but it's a bit weird.

You need to go 1 entire round forward, past all the summary's of Germany's R1, then before Russia starts, the notifications come up and you can start normally.

Not a showstopper, but not completely as it should be I guess.

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
I guess it is caused by the EndTurn delegates I put into. A very easy method to regulate the unitownerswitching correctly, I am not going to change it so. Maybe ask Veqryn about PBEM/PBF adjustments that may be done to deal with the whole subject. I never used PBEM/PBF, don´t know how casualties are selected anyway and ai is done. Play online for now I´d say, maybe there is an easy solution.

About Rockets, I think manual and gamenotes explain it very clearly.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

maps should be built to be played in any of the 4 ways we support:
local game (hotseat)
online live game
play by email
play by forum

the end turn delegate is the delegate where we ask the user if we want to upload the savegame to the forum or send the savegame by email
it will create a turn summary, which is basically just a nice text list of everything that has happened since the current player took over (ie: the game engine looks back through all the phases until it sees the player change, then stops).

i can try to figure out how to "fix" your game, but I do think that supporting all 4 methods is paramount

please upload your map to sendspace so I can take a look

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

Rolf Larsson
sendspaceupload in first entry this thread.

Veqryn wrote
the end turn delegate is the delegate where we ask the user if we want to upload the savegame to the forum or send the savegame by email
is it an option or a must? if optional, then it is no problem, just gathering all steps and upload after the last minor step is finished.
We now have custom dice!

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendricks,

i just downloaded 2.5.3 and it seems to work fine for me

i get a lot of notification popups with images, and that slows me down a lot

but after i close those, everything is fine

i also have to click through a bunch of "end turn" phases before the normal game can begin

annoying, but nothing like what you said

Re: Game does NOT play in PBEM

hendriks1
But that's exactly what I mean, at first, you think your turn is done without doing anything, as you need to skip through your entire turn and allies if there are any and then it starts suddenly at your turn again with the action to do your tech throw.

In some battles, I get a sort of first AA strike in the battle screen when subs and destroyers are involved, but there are no dice rolling.

We are both playing PBEM and my opponent has the same, you have to done through your entire turn and then it starts as it normally did.

Not a great nuseance now that I know, but if you plan to keep that in for PBEM (as MANY play that) you should mention it. Not everybody can play online due to time zone differences.

Thanks anyway, looks like a great release that brings many new flavors to the game!
1 ... 3456789 ... 25