This is confusing

Tyler1231237
I am sorry, I have a few questions that are very simple but don't seem to be answered in any degree of specificity anywhere.  If anyone could answer them then I would be grateful.

1. When making new units how are the pictures attached with the names?

2. When making a new game, how do you put them on to Triplea when you are done?  This link was useless http://sites.google.com/site/tripleamapcollection/guide (because the file is already on my computer how do I download it when it is already on?)

3. How do I make a properties file or make my file .zip so that I can use it on Triplea, I have the file with all of the units/center/map/etc. on it, but Triplea refuses to read it

I will probably have more, but right now I can not even test what I have, if anyone with a little more experience could help me then that would be appreciated.

Tyler

Re: This is confusing

Welome to the community!  I'm sure your questions will be answered by some of the very bright and friendly folks here.  If not, I'll try to get back to you in a few days (on a bit of a vacation at the moment).

Re: This is confusing

pictures are attached to the game xml by having the exact same name, case sensitive, as in the xml
so the xml says: infantry
and the unit folder has: infantry.png

just move the folder or zip file to your maps folder
(see my general information thread to see where the folder is)

files do not need to be zipped to be used, that is only a convience for downloading maps
to make a properties file, use the map maker, or just edit it by hand in notepad

Re: This is confusing

U-boat
1. the name of the image should be the same name used in the XML
2. do you mean play it or put it up for others to play?

play: open triplea and click "choose game", the folders and games should be like this triplea_1_2_5_4/maps/[name of map]/games

for others to play: contanct Onan at http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/home/contact. He can set you up.
3. did you use the TripleA Map Creator? If you could send me in z zip what you do have (my email is below) I can help you. It sounds like you are missing something important and I am unable to tell what it is from here.

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
Hi, I'm having the same problem, if I may I'll send you a zip.
Thanks

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
Thanks U-Boat, I had to change the file name to games with the "s".. duuuu
But I am getting this error message.

Could not parse:C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\triplea\maps\weirdworldwar\games\weirdworldwar.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: No setter for attachment option. Setter:defence Class:games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.setValues(GameParser.java:1181)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseAttachments(GameParser.java:1101)
        at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:125)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromDirectory(NewGameChooserModel.java:180)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:82)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)

help, what does this mean, I did try and make my halftrack have a transportCapacity? also I made my generals (mobile factory) attack of 0 and a defence of 2 could that be the problem?
ohh I also gave my carriers a capacity of 3, my bombers a carrier cost of 2 and my HL(highlevel)bomber a carrier cost of 3, as well as giving my helicopters a transport capacity of 2 and a carrier cost of 1. Is this a bad thing?
Thanks again any and all help.
Trysten

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
I must be of simple mind, boy I'm sure good speller, I spelt defense as defence I guess as in da-fence its okay to laugh, also after double checking I found a number of units I'd changed the name of, didn't seem to have changed....So I try again and I thank everyone for their tolerance. Let this be an object lesson to All.. check your speeling.
cioa

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
I'm closer. If I can get some info on what this means?

Could not parse:
 GameParseException: Editable properties must have exactly 1 child specifying the type. Number of children found:0 for node:property

and it goes on to list some stuff, I'm wondering if it is because I gave some value to a few sea zones, I guess they do not default to neutral.
Think I'll try that, can't hurt.

Well I don't think it hurt but it did not change anything. Same error. What does "Editable properties must have exactly 1 child specifying the type." mean?
thanks
sigh

Re: This is confusing

Does it give you a line number or anything?  I'm guessing you may have missed an ending tag on an xml line or something.  Go through your xml and do a search for all 'property'.  Verify the syntax around them.

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
It did give me a few, but I don't know how I would find it.
What is the proper syntax, please excuse my ignorance, but got to start some where
I'll do as you suggest, maybe I can see them.
This is the entire error message

 Could not parse:C:\Program Files\TripleA\triplea_1_2_5_5\maps\weirdworldwar\games\weirdworldwar.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: Editable properties must have exactly 1 child specifying the type. Number of children found:0 for node:property
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseEditableProperty(GameParser.java:770)
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseProperties(GameParser.java:739)
    at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:133)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserEntry.<init>(NewGameChooserEntry.java:27)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.createEntry(NewGameChooserModel.java:163)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populateFromDirectory(NewGameChooserModel.java:180)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.populate(NewGameChooserModel.java:82)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.NewGameChooserModel.<init>(NewGameChooserModel.java:35)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.mc.GameSelectorModel.loadDefaultGame(GameSelectorModel.java:217)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.MainFrame.<init>(MainFrame.java:61)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.GameRunner2$1.run(GameRunner2.java:61)
 And thanks for the reply

Re: This is confusing

you have an attribute or property with nothing inside it

for example, a unit must have some attribute in it, etc.

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
Awesome, thank you, sorry, you guys must get this stuff alot, and I'm sure a good part of it is like mine were it's less then diligent work that's the blame.
When I get it running I'll post it up.

Re: This is confusing

Trysten
Hi all, it was something in the game settings. Now I did not relize that transport are restricted was a default position for the game, so I gave my transports a 2 defense value......
And thats why I got the next error message...trans can't attack or defend....Cool I change that
And it stills errors
Could not parse:C:\Program Files\TripleA\triplea_1_2_5_5\maps\weirdworldwar\games\weirdworldwar.xml
games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: Restricted transports cannot have attack or defense

I've tried removing the attachments for attack & defense, as well as giving them both a value of 0..?
I almost want to stop but I feel so close to it working..lol, and I hate to bug ya but..help    lol
peace, thanx

Re: This is confusing

it really helps when you post your source xml here for us to read

try turning restricted transport to false.... does that work?
try giving ANYTHING that transports a unit both an attack and defense value of Zero
so, if cruisers can transport units, they need to be 0/0 att/def units OR you need to stop using restricted transports property (turn it to false to turn off)