The Modern World

soverign
This post was updated on .
Any feedback or ideas you have are welcomed.

Some screenshots from the WIP map.
World:

North America

Europe:

South America and Africa:

Total map size: 11232 x 4320

Resource List

Industrial Capacity

+ Produced from Factories
- Consumed by unit production, supply and fuel production and building/infrastructure construction

Currency

+ Produced from Civil Infrastructure
- Consumed by unit production, fuel and supply purchases, building/infrastructure construction and unit maintenance

Manpower

+ Produced from Civil Infrastructure
- Consumed by unit production and building/infrastructure construction

Fuel

+ Produced with Industrial Capacity
- Consumed by all units except Nuclear Powered ships

Supplies

+ Produced with Industrial Capacity
- Consumed by all units

Playable Countries

Brazil
France
India
Iran
Japan
People's Republic of China
Russian Federation
The United Kingdom
The United States
Turkey
Others (taking suggestions)

Game Unit Style

Re: A map I've been working on

Zim Xero

I gave it a try... not crazy about how it turned out - hard to find a clear source image.  Drydocks are a mess.

Re: A map I've been working on

When I get some time I'll take a look at putting something together if you'd like.

Re: A map I've been working on

soverign
@Zim - I think I will use the first image as a fill in for now. Thanks

@Hepster If you want to make the drydock, feel free to.

I have been experimenting with resource production and was wondering if something like this would work:

<attatchment name="triggerAttachmentUSAPeaceEffect" attatchTo="United_States" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
            <option name="trigger" value="conditionAttachmentUSAPeaceEffect"/>
                        <option name="resource" value="IC"/>
                        <option name="resourceCount" value="-150"/>
                </attatchment>

I would like it so that the United States doesn't start at its full industrial capacity and slowly gains capacity every turn after it has declared war or is attacked until reaching the base IC. A percentage would work great here.

Re: A map I've been working on

Zim Xero
that code will work.  Cant use percentage though... unless there is an undocumented feature that allows it.

Re: A map I've been working on

soverign
The current game engine must have a problem with resources if they are set above a certain amount. I initialized manpower to 2500 for China and the game was complaining about "Unlimited Production shouldn't be possible". When I set manpower to 999, the game works fine.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

soverign
I have changed my game I am working on to a Modern Day scenario. See the opening post for more details.

Re: A map I've been working on

Edwin van der Wal
soverign wrote
The current game engine must have a problem with resources if they are set above a certain amount. I initialized manpower to 2500 for China and the game was complaining about "Unlimited Production shouldn't be possible". When I set manpower to 999, the game works fine.
This was fixed.... in the latest build...

Re: A Modern World Scenario

soverign
I am starting to work on the map. It may take a while to do since I'm not 100% sure of the steps to make one. Hepster has given me a little bit of help to start with and if anyone has advice for map making, I would appreciate it since this is my first map.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

hepster
Okay, Soverign what is the size of the image of the base map you intend to use?

That is a good starting point.

P.S. posting a link to the map might also help to provide input.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

tedrocker
My suggestion, the Muslim brotherhood United stretching from NW Africa to NW India, western China, former USSR and Indonesia. Why ignore 1/7 of the world when that's what the 21st century is all about anyhow?

Re: A Modern World Scenario

Hi Soverign,  I took a look at the map you posted, though I am guessing that you removed it cause I don't seem to be able to re-locate it anywhere.

It is a great map.  However it presents some of the issues that are common to using an actual world map.  Generally speaking Europe is too small and needs to be enlarged.  For a Modern day scenario I'm sure Europe would play a diminished role in comparison to a WWII game, but at the end of the day normally it is so small that just doing unit placements is an issue.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

soverign
I have completed the land borders. What is the best method of dividing the sea tiles up?

Re: A Modern World Scenario

hepster
Soverign,  can you send me the map via e-mail.  There are a couple of things I want to point out to you using examples, but I didn't save the image when you first posted it.

There are a few things you should be doing to the map in preparation for making it with the Map Creator program.

So if you send it to me, I can put small areas up here to assist you on your journey.

As far as the Sea Zones, the key for them is really tided to the starting placements, unit movement values, team configurations, planned amount of expansion before certain players re-enforce team members... etc. etc.

The design of the map needs to take a great number of things into consideration.  ie.  Do you want the ocean voyages to be lengthy but have units already in key positions at the start of the game?  Do you want ocean trips to be relatively short?  Are the Sea Zones going to create movement parity for units such as Aircraft?

There is no simplistic answer to this... much is entirely dependent on how you want the game to flow.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

hepster
Ok.  Good thanks for sending that.  Makes it a whole lot easier to point you in the right direction with examples.

1)  Base Tiles vs. Relief Tiles

One of the first things that you whould so is create 2 files for the finished map.  A Base Tile Map and a Relief Tile Map

The Base Tile Map should include only things that you wan selectable during game-play.  So in looking at the following 2 examples....

Your Current Map

Vs. what the Base Tiles should "ideally" look like...

First, in this way when you run the Polygon Grabber (with the Base Tile Image) there are not a huge quantity of individual little items that the game has to account for, which at the end of the day don't affect the game at all.

Secondly, when you run the placement picker the computer will not try to avoid putting placement into/within/around said ineffectual items.

So after looking at the map, a few other things came to mind while examining it.

1)  Based on the current scale.... If you were to create the game with units set at 100% magnification.  Then many of the Territories you have already defined will have VERY limited unit placement spots...

Now you can accomidate this by reducing the size of the unit images being displayed while running the Map Maker Program, as long as you are comfortable with the resolution of the images during game-play.  ie. Take a look at T.W.W. vs. N.W.O.  You will notice the differences immediately with the games set at the default settings.

More to come.

Again feel free to post here for more detailed explanations of anything you need clarification on.

Cheers,  Hepps

Re: A Modern World Scenario

soverign
I'm open to any territory changes. I was thinking I could increase the size of the map a little more to give some more room for units.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

Sorry.  So I took a bit more time to examine the details for the unit images....

The "sample" images you provided at the beginning of this thread were 85 pixels X 85 pixels.

If that is the dimension you intend to use then the map will currently be to small.

If you rescale your images to the standard 48 x 48... then you should be pretty good for most of the map as its drawn currently.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

soverign
I was thinking that this could be a sandbox style scenario, allowing players to create the war they want to make. This leaves this game a little more open on how it plays out and a strategy that works in one play through might not work in another one because the war may be completely different. I would like to hear anyone's feedback on this idea.

Re: A Modern World Scenario

ice
i really like the size of the map, looks like its between ultimate world and world at war. cant really help out with technical stuff, but if you got an interesting ww2 scenarion i would defenatly playtest it.

my preferences for rules and units is keep it simple, but ofcource totaly up to you

Re: A Modern World Scenario

eurofabio
The problem with sandbox is that the game can last forever. Because when someone starts to dominate the world, the other players will join against him.

soverign wrote
I was thinking that this could be a sandbox style scenario, allowing players to create the war they want to make. This leaves this game a little more open on how it plays out and a strategy that works in one play through might not work in another one because the war may be completely different. I would like to hear anyone's feedback on this idea.
12