Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Hello

My friends and I found and have been playing TripleA. Great game  We got the idea of making a Star Wars version of TripleA. I thought it would be easy, as map creator programs were already there. But I was wrong  I have been fooling around with the programs:

First with the build-in (1.8.0.3) Map Creator program, but got stuck when having to make the xml file.

Then with Map Creator v2.0.0.2. Had to build up everything from scratch. Completed a lot of files that I think are usable. But the program was so buggy that that I have decided to work with another program.

Finally, I have now worked with Map Creator v1.0.1.5. Part 1.exe works well, but I cannot seem to run Part 2. A Java error pops up: (Seems to have some Danish words in the error report)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91867373/JavaError.txt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91867373/JavaError.jpg

(I have tried it out with jre-6u18-windows-x64.exe and jre-8u20-windows-x64.exe installed. Also tried “run as admin”. And I have also fooled around with adding environmental variables: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91867373/JavaSetup.jpg )

Basically … I am stuck. Can’t use Part 2 and I really want to finish/create an xml file. How should I proceed from here? I have worked a lot of hours on this and hope to get a tip or a hint that can get me going again

I already finished:
“flags”                (8 factions. 100x100, 32x32 and 12x12 versions of icons)
“units”                (All 8 factions have 13 unique units. Basically sea units = starships / fighters = starfighters / land units = land units. 1 of the 13 has a “hit” version. Also have factory and AA icons.)
“baseTiles”        (Made from my 5000x3000 px map of the “star wars galaxy”. Sea Zones will function as sectors of the galaxy. Aprox. 30 planets, made of 1-3 land zones each, are spread across the map. Hope to have all land and sea zones be captureable and give PUs.)
“reliefTiles”        (Made from a Semi transparent  graphic map of the galaxy and planets. It fits with the base map, but I have not seen it “in-game” … so dunno how it looks/feels/works. Base map borders are black, but I hope TripleA allows them to be displayed grey.)
smallMap.jpeg
centers.txt        (Made in Map Maker 2.0.0.2)
polygons.txt        (Made in Map Maker 2.0.0.2)
place.txt                (Made in Map Maker 2.0.0.2)
connections.txt  (Made in Map Maker 2.0.0.2)
capitols.txt        (Cannot remember how it was made, but it looks right.)
map.properties  (Also looks right to my untrained eye.)

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Cernel
Another Star Wars map... We had severals Star Wars maps tryout, some over 50% finished, in the course of the years, but nothing come out of them, sadly.

May the Force be with you.

Anyway, regarding your problems, I've never used any xml makers and I personally think they are unnecessary: just use the programs for creating the territory definitions and connections; that you will copypaste in the xml. Then, just take the xml of a map the closest to the one you're making, and modify it with a notepad, as you need. As long as you're not gonna do strange things, like using triggers, it's all pretty intuitive, really.

So, once you have a runnable map, with no units in the starting setup; just start it and edit the units as you want to. Then, export the xml; open it and copy paste all inside "unitInitialize" from that exported xml to your map's xml.

Mapmaking is slower than one may think. So my suggestion is to start easy; get a running, finished, decently balanced and playable map. You have always time to modify it and adding things thereafter. It's especially easy to add more units to an already finished map; for example. So, rule number 1 is avoiding the development hell (that got anyone who tried to do a Star Wars map, thus far)

For the connections, if you haven't a lot of crossed borders, I advice to run the program at 4 pixels more than your line wideness: this will make sure that you won't have missing connection; then, just check and remove all wrong connections in the crossed borders (in normal maps, they are typically found where the sea borders meet the land borders). It's a lot easier than keep finding missing connections overtime.

By the way; the last ongoing (maybe) Star Wars map is here.
http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars-Map-tp7584050.html;cid=1412712892152-457
Maybe the creator of that will see this thread of yours... It might be helpful if you get to join Forces; or, at least, if you get him giving you his map, in case he has no intentions to finish it (you may like it and use the xml and finish it, or use some of the many nice unit images or whatever).

Cheers!

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

I think I will try out editing an already existing xml. Even though it would be nice to try out the Part 2.exe program. Anyone here who know how to overcome the Java error when executing the program?

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

eurofabio
I can't see the errors that you posted at dropbox. I can't see the image or the text

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

That mapmaker program was abandoned after a buggy update by its programmer.  Its not supported by TripleA.  Only a handful of people know how to get around the bugs.  If it worked, the interface is simple, but limited.  I highly recommend using Veqryns map making tools... only drawback is you gotta generate your own xml... which can be a pain.  Personally, I use excel columns to drop in lists like territory names and special characters in columns before and after.  Then you can dump it to notepad and use replace to put the standard xml codes in before and after since its repetitive.  Use a working xml... and replace sections one at a time.  Refer to "The Pact of Steel 2" xml for examples and lists of whats possible in each section of the xml.  As far as i'm concerned "The Pact of Steel 2" is the only full guide to triplea mapmaking.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Thanks for the tips Cernel and Zim. I dunno why the dropbox public links don’t work for you Eurofabio. it works for me.  But here it is:

Error wrote
Base Exception:

System.NullReferenceException: Objektreferencen er ikke indstillet til en forekomst af et objekt.
   ved TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow.UnitAddingWindow_Resize(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnResize(EventArgs e)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetBoundsCore(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, BoundsSpecified specified)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Form.ScaleControl(SizeF factor, BoundsSpecified specified)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.ScaleControl(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.Scale(SizeF includedFactor, SizeF excludedFactor, Control requestingControl)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.PerformAutoScale(Boolean includedBounds, Boolean excludedBounds)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.OnLayoutResuming(Boolean performLayout)
   ved System.Windows.Forms.Control.ResumeLayout(Boolean performLayout)
   ved TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow.InitializeComponent()
   ved TripleAGameCreator.UnitAddingWindow..ctor()
   ved TripleAGameCreator.Form1..ctor()
   ved TripleAGameCreator.Program.Main()

Complete Exception:

[...]
Anyway … Still can’t open Part 2.exe. But, I got my Star Wars map to load without java errors  Hope you can see this screenshot. I am at the point where I have to add units to the game. This is just a matter of time and work. However, I have a couple of questions about some other game stuff that I hope someone could answer:

Big version of screenshot - Click here

• Is there a way to pre-set the settings of the game-“Edit Map Font and Color” to auto load with this specific settings with this map? And of course reset or standardize when loading other maps? Black names just seem wrong on this map.

• Is there a way to adjust where the  capital markers, PU indicators and land/sea zone names to auto-load onto ... compared to the center? Must/Can they alle be manually adjusted via some file editing? (In my screenshot it seem that the “Bastion” name is on top of the zone center, while “ Bastion Orbit A” seems to be placed to the right of the actual zone center and “B” to the left of the actual center. Orbit zones are the blue half-circles.)

• Is there a way to make Sea Zones give/have PU values? Preferably “capturable” sea zones where one does not need to have units stationed to get PUs. (This is pretty crucial for the gameplay of this map.)

Thanks for your interest

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Cernel
As I said, to add units to the game, just start your game, then enable edit mode and place all the units you want to anywhere you want to. Then, click on "Export/Export game.xml file (beta)" and create an xml somewhere. Open that xml and copypaste all that it is inside the "<unitInitialize>" things into your actual xml. This is the easiest way.

No sadly.

If anyone able here is reading this, I think it may be nice adding such a possibility to the engine, especially the possibility of pre-set the "Font Size" for each map, and have such settings apply only to the specific map where you changed them (since the optimal Font Size is different amongst different maps, and for some of them the default 12 is just ridiculous (I would increase the default to 24, BTW)). Like it is now for many other things, like the "units.scale".

But, for the Territory Name and PU Color only, you can have images displayed, instead of the names, if you put a folder called "territoryNames" and a folder called "PUs" right inside your main map folder, filled with the images of the names and PUs values, called with their names and numbers.

You can also just disable the showing off of names in territories or sea zones (I personally dislikes names on map; I think they are unnecessary and not nice to see: you don't care about how zones are called at all, when moving pieces in them, while playing, anyway).

You can set the position of what the hell you want by creating "txt" documents like the centers, acting in the exact same way, but called with different names, as follow:
capitals: "capitols" (don't ask me why)
PUs: "pu_place"
names: "name_place"

You just give sea zones an attachment and a relative territory value, like you normally do with land territories. But, differently from land territories, only the original owner (nothing specified, the original owner is the player owning the territory at start game) can collect the money. Unless anybody know a way of having the income of sea zones fully behaving like the land territories, I guess you'll have to do it with national objectives (you still have to create an empty "territoryAttatchment" for the sea zone; I suggest to give also the income value, and set the original owner to Neutral, for displaying), like:

                <attatchment name="objectiveAttachmentNameseazonePlayer1" attatchTo="Player1" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
                <option name="objectiveValue" value="N"/>
                <option name="directOwnershipTerritories" value="Nameseazone" count="1"/>
                </attatchment>

Where:
Nameseazone is the name of your sea zone.
Player1 is the name of the player.
N is how much income that sea zone is worth.

(you'll have to make a number of these equal to the number of such sea zones multiplied by the number of players (well, you could do some grouping, using the "each" count, but I think keeping them strictly separated is best, in case you'll change values))

also, make sure to have set:
                <property name="National Objectives" value="true" editable="false">
                        <boolean/>
                </property>

I've a question for you: how do you create the "point" image here in the forum; I mean that big black point before the "Is there a way to..."?

Cheers

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

• is made by:
Holding down the Alt key and then pressing (on the num-pad) 0 then 1 then 4 then 9.
When you let go of Alt the • sign pops up.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

WIP: All 13 Unique New Republic units and all 13 Unique Corporate Sector units made

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

WIP: All 13 Unique Black Sun units and all 13 Unique CorSec (corellian security force) units made

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

hepster
Looks exciting.

One suggestion (and take it for what its worth)...

You might want to put a white glow around the units so that they pop a little bit.  The map back ground is quite dark and the visibility of you fine unit design is a little under-stated.  Just a minor suggestion.

The work you have done so far looks fantastic.  Very high quality stuff.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

WIP: Nearly done!

To make the units more visible I changed the background. I think it helped a bit. I have actually finished 2 maps now … nearly all done. I need to test them with a couple of my friends. I have added the same custom sounds to both maps. But after speed-running the maps with AI-only players a couple of times to se who wins, one of the maps seems to have an error. I can’t see how it could be a sound problem? I cannot figure out what it’s about. Please help :

Error wrote
triplea.engine.version.bin:1.8.0.3
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No line matching interface Clip supporting format PCM_SIGNED 16000.0 Hz, 24 bit, stereo, 6 bytes/frame, little-endian is supported.
        at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getLine(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.testClipSuccessful(ClipPlayer.java:632)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.createAndAddClips(ClipPlayer.java:580)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.parseClipPaths(ClipPlayer.java:430)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.loadClipPath(ClipPlayer.java:387)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.loadClip(ClipPlayer.java:373)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.preLoadClip(ClipPlayer.java:350)
        at games.strategy.sound.SoundPath.preLoadSounds(SoundPath.java:206)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext$1.run(UIContext.java:115)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No line matching interface Clip supporting format PCM_SIGNED 11025.0 Hz, 24 bit, mono, 3 bytes/frame, little-endian is supported.
        at javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem.getLine(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.testClipSuccessful(ClipPlayer.java:632)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.createAndAddClips(ClipPlayer.java:580)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.parseClipPaths(ClipPlayer.java:430)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.loadClipPath(ClipPlayer.java:387)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.loadClip(ClipPlayer.java:373)
        at games.strategy.sound.ClipPlayer.preLoadClip(ClipPlayer.java:350)
        at games.strategy.sound.SoundPath.preLoadSounds(SoundPath.java:207)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.UIContext$1.run(UIContext.java:115)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "Triplea start thread" java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.strongAI.StrongAI.purchase(StrongAI.java:8585)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ai.AbstractAI.start(AbstractAI.java:416)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.waitForPlayerToFinishStep(ServerGame.java:657)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.runStep(ServerGame.java:533)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.startGame(ServerGame.java:333)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.LocalLauncher.launchInNewThread(LocalLauncher.java:100)
        at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.launcher.AbstractLauncher$1.run(AbstractLauncher.java:57)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

EDIT: I found and fixed the error. It was a unit that did not have a price tag. It was set to cost 0. But now it Works :) I will be testing the maps with tomorrow.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

But I am fine-tuning the map at the moment.

Is there a way to prevent “neutral” factions (active fighting neutrals that are a “players”) from being displayed in the pre-start game menu? I got stuff like Space Pirates and Sand-People on the maps, but they are not really meant to be played. They are more like hazards on the map.
Can I hide them?

And is there a way to let the game say “space zone” in all the text og the game that currently says “sea zone”? Likewise “space unit” instead of “sea unit”?

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

hepster
Frostion wrote
Is there a way to prevent “neutral” factions (active fighting neutrals that are a “players”) from being displayed in the pre-start game menu? I got stuff like Space Pirates and Sand-People on the maps, but they are not really meant to be played. They are more like hazards on the map.
Can I hide them?
The answer is yes.  You can "hide" the units by having them placed via a trigger.

Frostion wrote
And is there a way to let the game say “space zone” in all the text og the game that currently says “sea zone”? Likewise “space unit” instead of “sea unit”?
You should be able to change the naming of the units & territories.  I've never tried since I've never done a space game, but it should be possible.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

WTF? Already finished. You're fast!

I was waiting for an years and years long development hell, judging from dimensions.

The answer is NOOO! to all of your questions.

The only limted things you can do, related to your problems are:

•Having the neutral players' names starting with "AI" or "Neutral" will have them assigned to the AI by default
•With a properties file called tooltips you can customize the tooltip only, this way: tooltip.unit.Unit1.Player1=blah (omitting Player1 will apply the tooltip to all Unit1 not having a specific Player related one)

I would advice NOT giving factions to the AI, if it is a 1v1. It will make your map impossible to definitively balance and eliminate its competitive value for a traditional 1v1 gameplay. If you really want to, maybe make those guys being <player name="Player1" optional="???" canBeDisabled="true"/> (and specify that having AI is optional in game notes; or just having them assigned to Does Nothing); and balance the map both for them being immobile and for them being AI played, but primarily for no AI play.

Cheers man, and holy shit you're the fastest mapmaker ever!

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Frostion
Hmmm. I think I will just leave the pirates, sand people and other neutrals as they are. There is always the option that one can click them to “do nothing”.

The 8 player factions (2 alliances) have so different units that they probably never will be balanced. However, as I see it, pros and cons are likely to be equaled out as it is 2 teams of 4.  Or at least I hope so. I actually aimed more for diverse game style then “balanced” factions.

Well I will test the maps this weekend with “humans” and not just AI.

Besides testing. I can see that it will take me some time to adjust all the territory name places and PU symbol places. Thes seem to be pretty out of place.

(Btw. I am not that good at doing the technical tweaks and advanced TripleA map programming, triggers and stuff. That’s a little too technical for me. But I am good at the graphical stuff and good at copying other peoples good ideas by looking through their XMLs  When I release the maps, I intent to make it clear that I encourage others to alter, modify or develop my maps into new and better star wars maps.)

A teaser

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Cernel
LOL! And now you're already making another bigmap...

Balanced does not mean that the map will go on forever, like Hexglobe, but it means that everyone has same chances to win at start game.

If you ask me, if the map unbalances itself rapidly, after being balanced at start game, all the better.

I'd really encourage you to totally finish up 1 map (especially a big one), before jumping to yet another project. This remembers me of someone... eheh.

Really, a map being playworthy for all human players and having a great appeal as a competitive tool for playing and see who's best is the main thing in determining the success of a map. And fine tuning and polishing up a map perfectly is not as easy as one may think.

Anyway, again, maybe you will totally succed in making multiple polished big maps at once in a few time, who knows...

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Frostion
Yea. Well.. I really felt like I had to make a second map from the start as the galaxy and planets map has a strong fokus on ship battle and ship / starfighter movement. Land troop movement is nearly non existing on the galactic map. My Tatooine map is like 2/3 land and 1/3 space. But I can see your point.

Re: Star Wars: TripleA ... Help me obi wan kenobi! You're my only hope

Cernel
Ear ya.

I found this out already with the previous Star Wars map by florin.

The biggest issue with a space map is the same issue you would find if you were making a map with all islands. Since naval is the requisite to get in and out of islands, you would have basically no real land warfare to talk about; basically, you would just build and wage war almost exclusively with ships, buying just a minimum of land units to take what you need to take, but never to defend them, because land forces in islands are dumb sitting ducks.

And this is very lame, from a playing perspective; cause you lose almost all of the land warfare, which is the most qualifying thing in TripleA.

For example, when you play pacific with Americans against Japanese, you don't buy land units to put them on the islands, stacking all the islands with land units to garrison and defend them. That would be dumb as hell. You just buy only sea units and, only if you are the attacker, get just a minimum of land units necessary to take the islands, that you will reuse moving on to the next conquest.

To temper this issue, in the space map (that is, a map with all land territories being islands) I would advise you to have:
•land combat limited to 1 round of combat only (instead infinite rounds for sea combat)
•all ships able to make the superspeed voyages (so, I guess, most ships) being subs, able to submerge at the end of all combat rounds
•combat power of 1 to 4 for all units and 12 dicesides, so that the battles will require many rounds to finish (the most powerful units, at power 4, would have only 1/3 probability of hitting each round) (otherwise, the ability to submerge at the end of combat would be not really interesting, if you can kill too much in 1 round) (no destroyers, of course)
•much greater defence power, than attack power, for land units (so to make feasible to defend your empire also with garrisoning land units, not just by piling up ships and ships)

BUT if you really want to go insane with it, you can integrate, for each planet, a secondary map for the planet, via the use of mapskins.
Basically, you make a mapskin for each planet, representing the single planet, and you put to negative values all territories not to be represented in the mapskin (that is, all map's territories except only the planet's ones, plus bordering sea zones), while, in the main space map, you put to negative values all territories meant to be represented only in the mapskin (that is, all land territories on the map, as long as each planet has a dedicated mapskin).
You just keep shown off, both in the mainmap and in the mapskins, the connecting territories; that are the sea zones (space zones) immediately bordering the planet.
So, each mapskin will act like a zoomed in image of each planet, in which you will wage war in a detailed way, while keeping the general space map at reasonable dimensions, that you could not if you would make the planet so big in the main map (also, having planets represented, of course, by a normal projection, showing off all of the planet (like it is in our normal global maps of the Earth), not only 1 side, would be awful to see, if integrated in the mainmap).

So basically, you would have the main map, representing the whole space and showing off just the planets, without even showing what's inside (all that stuff is in negative values territories and placements in the main map). Then, when you want to focus on one planet, you switch to the relative mapskin, to actually see what's going on there.

So, you would have 1 general extensive space map PLUS many other specific planet mapskins, devoted to both land and sea warfare (depending on how much water there is in the planet) in each planet.

Each of the mapskins would represent a single world, like our common TripleA maps, depicting the warfare on the Earth.

But this would be an insane amount of work.

And, it would require to upload and download the mainmap plus all of the mapskins separately.

Also, you think it would be possible to getting rid of the AI and grouping the other players into a third faction called, like, "Hutts"; so to have a 3 alliances FFA without AI?

Cheers