Star Trek: Dilithium War

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@aaalafayette
I would also like, just like Cernel, how mapmakers are to handle their map’s wav/mp3 in the future?

Does uploads change wav to mp3 file? Should/can we make our own mp3s, or follow some mp3 standards? Maybe all questions and answers could be included in whatever “preconditions for map uploads” that might be made/determined in the future and posted on the forum?

PS: I will take a look at the new mp3 and my maps’ sounds.properties.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

@aaalafayette
I can see that all the wav have been replaced by mp3s.

However, the sounds.properties are not all dune. It looks like some automatic replacement of .wav with .mp3 has altered the files, but there is a problem. In the cases where there are several possible sound files to be played, only one has its .wav replaced with .mp3, and that is the last .wav in the line of possible sounds to be played.

Example line from the sounds.properties of the Star trek map (but this might be occurring in some of my other maps):
battle_sea_normal_Federation=battle_sea_normal_Federation_1.wav;battle_sea_normal_Federation_2.mp3

Could you re-run the “auto-alteration” of the sounds.properties thing again? This time replacing ALL .wav references?

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
Wav might work still, but I don't think so. Regardless, favor mp3 instead because hey are 80% to 90% smaller in file size. Age of Tribes for example is now 65MB, down from almost 180MB, the 115MB difference was all wav files.

To answer your question directly, there is no automatic conversion done on upload for wav to mp3, or any other autoamtic conversion in fact All the automatic conversions were all one time items done while moving the maps into repositories.

So yes, you can compress MP3's to any quality you want. Though, I strongly recommend using variable bit rate mp3 encoding. You'll then not have to worry about most of the parameters for conversion, and you'll get the best quality/file size ratio.  I've been using lame and setting an average bit rate of 190 (which is excessive), with:

 lame --abr 190 -V 7 -b 128   'fileName'

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
I'll get it fixed. I did a copy/replace and replace 'wav' with 'mp3' that appeared at end of line. Thus what you are seeing..

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

The fact that mp3 is not automatically applied is good, because mapmakers have to do it anyway already, otherwise they just can't test their maps' soundsets and because it's a lossy thing (albeit not really noticeable). On the other hand, I undestood that optipng was automatically applied each time you uploaded anything being a png. I think that would be better to be mandatory, automated and applied the same to all everytime. If it is not so, is there a guide to use it somewhere?

I confirm wav don't work anymore.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
Administrator