Star Trek: Dilithium War

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Here is an XML for Age of Tribes where boats can be captured. There is a starting barbarian boat that britton can capture turn 01.
Age_of_Tribes_BoatCapture.xml

All I did was change this unit attachment -
        <attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Boat" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
            <option name="attack" value="2"/>
            <option name="defense" value="3"/>
            <option name="isSea" value="true"/>
            <option name="movement" value="1"/>
            <option name="transportCapacity" value="1"/>
            <option name="isCombatTransport" value="true"/>
            <option name="isInfrastructure" value="true"/>
        </attatchment>
Sea Zone 24 already has this territory attachment, I made no changes.
        <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="Sea Zone 24" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment" type="territory">
        <option name="production" value="0"/>
        <option name="occupiedTerrOf" value="AI"/>
        </attatchment>

Then give the territory an owner
            <territoryOwner territory="Sea Zone 24" owner="AI-Barbarians"/>

And put a boat there
            <unitPlacement unitType="Boat" territory="Sea Zone 24" quantity="1" owner="AI-Barbarians"/>

And it works for me.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
An XML where asteroids can be captured without triggers. You need to set an owner for sea zones in the ownerinitialize section of the XML. If a sea zone doesn't have a designation in that section, it has no owner (not neutral, it has no ownership at all)
Star_Trek_Dilithium_War_Capturable.txt

You should be able to capture the asteroid field I added right next to the Federation starting position.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@crazy german
Thanks for the clarification about the ownership. The map now works much better now… Yay! A new version of this map is therefore already out now. And I am considering trying to fix the same bug/flaw in my Dragon War map. There it is a capturable Sea Dragon that is not really capturable at the moment. I am wondering about something else:

Do you think that TripleA is programmed and intended for all sea zones on all maps to ALLWAYS have territory ownerships attached? And that this problem that seems to be overcome here is because the sea zones did not have attachments like they should have? (Also the capture sea territory sound for example only plays when a sea zone with ownership possibilities is captured, like trade centers and such.)

Do you think that there is or is not an actual bug in the game when sea infrastructure is not captured when in a sea zone lacking a territory attachment? (I think it is listed as a bug here: http://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/patches/105/ )

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
I don't know if its a bug, its better to ask a programmer. Giving sea zones owners is kind of a hack, there isn't a need for them to have owners in most maps and it might mess up some backwards compatibility if made automatic. Perhaps PoS2's XML could just have a note about using isInfrastructure at sea (we probably aren't supposed to do this at all though)

Other stuff
-You should probably check the properties related to capturing convoy zones and make sure they do what you want them to.
-Who is on what alliance isn't anywhere in the game notes
-Why no noncombat move?
-Create a link just for the XML, I don't want to re-download the whole thing every time its updated

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Who is on what alliance isn't anywhere in the game notes .
I added notes info for this in the latest version. I never thought about this. Maybe I just expected everybody to have a bit of basic Star Trek knowledge
v0.1.3 to v0.1.4
• Degree of damage is now visible on the Borg units. (Black numbers on white/orange background)
• Added description in notes about the two Alliances in the game.
• A few minor xml edits.

Why no noncombat move?
I removed the non-combat moves as there are no units requiring to be moved back after an attack, like bombers and fighters. Also, I would like to think that all the starship missions and deployments would be happening the same time, so the governments/commanders would not base one mission on the knowledge or the success of any other mission. (Like “if they win I will move this fleet over there, if they lose I will move it over here.”) Also, I think the no-non-combat moves thing can speed up the game. Purchase is right before placement because of clarity, clearness and convenience. Do you see any problems at the moment because of this order?

Create a link just for the XML
The latest version has new pngs, some sound files have been altered and the xml changed. In the future, if only the XML changes, I will make an xml only download link.

“properties related to capturing convoy zones”
What do you mean? What map are you referring to? I should not have convoy zones, blockade zones or trade centers in this Star Trek map. Actually I don’t think I use the convoyRoute and convoyAttached territory attachments on any of my maps.

In the Caribbean Trade War and the Age of Tribes maps there are capturable sea zones that should only give PUs to the original owners. In Age of Tribes they look like this:

        <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="Sea Zone 6" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment" type="territory">
            <option name="production" value="10"/>
            <option name="originalOwner" value="Slavic"/>
        </attatchment>

In the Caribebean Trade War they look like this, as they also work as victory locations:

        <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="SZ47" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment" type="territory">
            <option name="production" value="3"/>
            <option name="victoryCity" value="1"/>
            <option name="originalOwner" value="Spanish"/>
        </attatchment>

In Dragon War I use blockade zones that should, if held by enemies of the players holding the bordering land territories, just temporary remove the PU income from these bordering land territories:

        <attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="Sea Zone 8" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment" type="territory">
            <option name="production" value="0"/>
            <option name="blockadeZone" value="true"/>
        </attatchment>

I guess this would just make the Blockade PU loss be determined by dice roll. But I set it to false:

        <property name="Convoy Blockades Roll Dice For Cost" value="false" editable="false">
            <boolean/>
        </property>

Naval units in of the map use this to determine their blockade efficiency and how much PU they each unit will remove from the land PU income:

<option name="blockade" value="2"/>

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
I was able to guess the alliances, but its still a good thing to include. Having a noncombat move is really standard, so it really throws me off to play without it. If there is no aircraft it isn't necessary. If you in your play testing don't miss it, it should be fine.

These would be properties that affect sea zone control. I'm not to familiar with them, just wanted to get them out there. If you notice something odd, like a stealth ship failing to capture an asteroid, or something like that, just keep these properties in mind

<property name="Transport Control Sea Zone" value="false" editable="false">
        <boolean/>
</property>

                <property name="Sub Control Sea Zone Restricted" value="false" editable="false">
                        <boolean/>
                </property>

                <property name="Naval Units May Not NonCombat Move Into Controlled Sea Zones" value="false" editable="false">
                        <boolean/>
                </property>

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

There has now been some development on this Star Trek map. We are now at version 0.1.7. I now think one could call this map AI compatible. The AI players have some shortcomings though, like their inability to use their PUs to develop tech. I hope the AI will be able to do this in the future. Other new things include:

• Removed the unit upkeep concept of the game, as it did not work as well as I figured.
• Renamed the “Supplies” resource to “Engineering”.
• Changed nearly all unit prices to fit the new concept. Now Command (Red) is used to buy combat ships, Engineering (Yellow) to buy special purpose ships and Science (Blue) to buy tech development.
• Renamed Command-Cruiser unit to Flagship.
• Transport-, Support-, Repair- and Research-Vessels are now much stronger.
• Removed all ship maxBuiltPerPlayer limitations.
• Re-added Non Combat Moves to the map.
• Changed win conditions to “hold 5 VC”, not 6 VC of the 7 possible.
• Added a description of the Borg in notes.
• A lot of minor XML edits.

If anyone wants to try out this new version, please read the version limitations above the download link on the first page, so that you might know what problems this map has that could need some fixing.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

captaincrunch
ya some day I will try this map because it looks fun. I was reading your post and it looks cool so I will try it eventually. I should mention the Star Trek first person view games are really cool I found. I enjoyed the use of the Tricorder and just the whole system rocked and a fun game.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

@captaincrunch
If you are not gaming already, I can inform you that I fixed a few issues with v0.1.7. Download v0.1.8. XML and replace the one in the zip file. Right click download: star_trek_dilithium_war.xml

Because of the problem with the AI Klingons not Building ships, I would advise you to play them. When doing this, the other AI controlled nations seem to work.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

v0.1.9 is already out. Go to download at the first post.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Already presenting v. 0.2.0

v0.1.9 to v0.2.0
• The communication system is now compatible with and used by the AI.
• Request-Strike-Fleet communication result is now much stronger (more ships).
• Adv-Cruiser cost raised from 21 to 22 Command.
• Flagship cost raised from 23 to 25 Command.
• Space-Station, Repair-, Research- and Support-Vessel cost raised from 50/75 to 100 Engineering.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
Administrator
@Frostion - Nice work. Your map has been uploaded to this github repository: http://github.com/triplea-maps/star_trek_dilithium_war

Please send me your github user name and I can add you as an owner for the map. That will give you write permissions. For example, you'll be able to update your game XML file through the web UI: https://github.com/triplea-maps/star_trek_dilithium_war/blob/master/map/games/star_trek_dilithium_war.xml, then click the 'pencil' icon to start editting. You'll also be notified of any change requests to the map and will be able to approve or reject them.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@aaalafayette
"Please send me your github user name"
https://github.com/FrostionAAA
It would be great to also get access to my other maps … listed in my signature below

I am eager to try out the real time map XML update system. I think I might manage editing XML files via GitHub, but im not sure about the GUI Windows program and how to upload new files. I tried it again, got connected to GitHub, tried to upload to my own GitHub space, was looking at the "please wait" for too long ... I think my patience ran out there. The program got de-installed.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
Administrator
Git is not necessarily easy. I appreciate you giving it a try, hopefully with some patience you may have some luck. Until github maps equates to a map going live for the game, there is not necessarily a lot of urgency. Happily Git is not as 'bad' as SVN, but keep in mind that somewhere down the road someone is going to be doing repository work, whether it be Git or SVN, and whether that be the map maker or map admin.

In the meantime there is now:
- a dedicated issue track for the map: http://github.com/triplea-maps/star_trek_dilithium_war/issues
- a wiki: http://github.com/triplea-maps/star_trek_dilithium_war/wiki

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Black Elk
This map looks rad. DS9 was my favorite series, so it'd particularly cool to see this setting get a treatment in tripleA. Just wanted to drop in and offer some encouragement and plaudits. Nice work man!

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@Black Elk
Thanks. I personally think this map is becoming a cool Star Trek map, and it is nearing completion. Right now the only thing that I can think of that needs work is the Borg. They can now participate and build units, but they acquire PUs resources, but they cannot use it for anything. I thought about letting them have “technology” upgrades like the other nations, but have not implemented this yet.

@all
Just want to let everyone know that the latest versions now allows ALL AI controlled players to build units. The hurdle with the Klingons and Borg not building units at all is overcome.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

RODTHEGOD
Very cool. I had some ideas for a star trek themed map a long time ago. My idea focused on the dominion war and the borg-species 8472 war. I was going to include a ffa version (this version would start just as the wormhole is discovered) and a binary version (this version would start with the outbreak of the dominion war). I wanted to include 8 factions; The United Federation of Planets, The Klingon Empire, The Romulan Empire, The Cardassion Union, The Breen Confederacy, The Dominion, The Borg Collective and Species 8472. I was aiming to have a small unit roster per faction, sticking mainly to the ship archtypes. I also wanted to include "hero" units such as voyager, the defiant, enterprise and other ships for some of the other factions. I even had a basic map drawn up but then my computer fucked up and i lost it. Oh well. What you're doing is very cool. Keep up the good work

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
Thanks. What a shame you lost all your map work on your PC. I can say that if I lost all the countless hours of work that is done in the beginning of the map making process, I don’t think I would try to ”remake” it either. I could not cope with all that work again. And it surly would not be fun to start doing a copy of the same work from scratch again.

It sounds like your map was very story based and with faction specific units. It could have been fun to try out. My map really does not contain any story once the game has begun. It is actually an attempt to create identical starting conditions for all players, even though a player might not notice this while playing. Hopefully the graphics, sounds, map conditions and other stuff can bring the Star Trek feel in play anyway.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

aaalafayette
Administrator
@Frostion, please run a git update (git pull --rebase) to pick up mp3 files.

http://github.com/triplea-maps/star_trek_dilithium_war/releases

File size is now 65MB with mp3 :)
(down from 170MB)

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Cernel
Since now new maps will be mp3 to start with, anyway (because wav don't work anymore), does rebasing convert any mp3 to your mp3 settings?

Meaning if I have a map already with mp3 (not wav) sounds of whatever quality, will they be converted to whatever quality it is set there, or the autoconversion via rebase applies only starting from wav files?

Meaning, are mapmakers free to set the mp3 quality for their sounds or everything gets forcefully standardized per settings applied to the conversion from wav via rebase?