Star Trek: Dilithium War

This map is now in OPEN BETA

The idea behind the map:
After a long and impatient wait for someone else to make a nice and playable Star Trek map, I have decided to make one myself.  Here are some old old threads:
Star Trek: Dominion War not quite finnished
a star trek mod?
I think much of my inspiration and motivation to make this map came from playing the Twilight Imperium boardgame. I liked this hex style game with the planet placement, space ships, space anomalies, tech and the other stuff, and of course also from watching a lot of Star Trek.

The story:
Stardate 48630.2. The Dominion Cold War is destabilizing the Alpha Quadrant. Peace hangs by a thread. Only diplomacy and clever politics is preventing an all-out war between the major galactic powers. Political alliances frequently form, but they seem to be short-lived and dependent on political and situational needs.  A new and potentially explosive situation is starting to form just a few light years from the well known Deep Space 9 space station. Scans of a nearly uninhabited region of space have shown a high concentration of the valuable dilithium crystal. There is enough dilithium to support thousands of starships and power-cores. This treasure could change the balance of power and predetermine the outcome of a galactic war. Many governments have dispatched forces to the region, but it seems that they are not alone...

(Geek alert:  This map is supposed to take place 2/3 into the time of Deep Space Nine season 3. The Wormhole is discovered, the Dominion is beginning to be in very bad standing with the major powers of the Alpha Quadrant and the combined Cardassian/Romulan sneak attack on the Dominion has not yet happened.)

This map includes:
• A hex style layout.
• 3 vs. 3 game play. The Borg can be added as a third party.
• Randomly placed resource rich planets, so every playthrough is different.
• Several types of space objects that give tactical or strategically advantages.
• Several resource types: Command, Engineering, Science, Assimilation and Dilithium.
• A lot of unit types.
• A technology development system.
• An ingame player rank system.
• An ingame player communication sytem (Players can call in reinforcements, seek promotion or ask for political aid during the game).
• Nation specific sounds.

Please help with or comment on:
• Anything related to the game experience.
• Unit prices.
• Grammar and spelling in the notes and popups.
• Any questions that new players (you) might still have after looking at the info picture and game notes. It would be great to get testing feedback here, so that I can add relevant stuff to the game notes.
• The AI does not seem to want to build any space stations. I don’t know why. I suspect that the island map layout just doesn’t motivate or trigger the AI to build factory units. If anyone knows a fix, then please share.

Beta Version 0.2.5 (151 MB)

Changelog:
v0.2.5 to v0.2.6
• Human controlled Borg player can now research technology.

v0.2.4 to v0.2.5
• Fixed the XML so that AI controlled Borg now build units.

v0.2.3 to v0.2.4
• Fixed a typo in the XML that prevented AI controled Klingons from building any ships.
• Renamed BaseTiles directory to baseTiles.

v0.2.2 to v0.2.3
• Request-Strike-Fleet communication result made a little weaker again (Now only 2-move light ships are sent).
• All land battle sounds shorten from 10 seconds to 6 seconds.
• Borg-Drone land units are now 7att/7def, not 5att/5def.

v0.2.1 to v0.2.2
• Communication cost raised from 15 to 20 Dilithium.
• Request-Strike-Fleet communication result made much stronger (even more ships).
• The Nebula protection (-1 to enemy attack) now works correctly.

v0.2 to v0.2.1
• Minor XML changes.

v0.1.9 to v0.2
• The communication system is now compatible with and used by the AI.
• Request-Strike-Fleet communication result made much stronger (more ships).
• Adv-Cruiser cost raised from 21 to 22 Command.
• Flagship cost raised from 23 to 25 Command.
• Space-Station, Repair-, Research- and Support-Vessel cost raised from 50/75 to 100 Engineering.

v0.1.8 to v0.1.9
• Removed two faulty connections from Planet Radan.
• Support-, Repair- and Research-Vessel cost raised from 50 to 75 Engineering.
• Flagship cost raised from 22 to 23 Command.
• Changed some sound file names and the sounds.properties file.

v0.1.7 to v0.1.8
• Changed the Transport to only cost ”Command”, not Engineering.
• Fixed an issue with Klingons buying Cardassian space stations instead of Klingon space stations.
• Fixed a victory condition related issue what prevented the “Khitomer Alliance” and “Borg” from triggering a victory.

v0.1.6 to v0.1.7
• Removed the unit upkeep concept of the game, as it did not work as well as I figured.
• Renamed the “Supplies” resource to “Engineering”.
• Changed nearly all unit prices to fit the new concept. Now Command (Red) is used to buy combat ships, Engineering (Yellow) to buy special purpose ships and Science (Blue) to buy tech development.
• Renamed Command-Cruiser unit to Flagship.
• Transport-, Support-, Repair- and Research-Vessels are now much stronger.
• Removed all ship maxBuiltPerPlayer limitations.
• Re-added Non Combat Moves to the map.
• Changed win conditions to “hold 5 VC”, not 6 VC of the 7 possible.
• Added a description of the Borg in notes.
• A lot of minor XML edits.

v0.1.5 to v0.1.6
• Added a please wait popup in the start of the game to let players know that it takes time for all the planets to be placed.

v0.1.4 to v0.1.5
• Added new dice Pictures.
• A few minor changes to the XML.

v0.1.3 to v0.1.4
• Degree of damage is now visible on the Borg units. (Black numbers on white/background)
• Added description in notes about the two Alliances in the game.
• A few minor xml edits.

v0.1.2 to v0.1.3
• Removed the faulty 100 starting dilithium of Federation and Dominion.
• Added description of Wormholes in the notes.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
Hey Frost. Some quick suggestions for getting this project rolling

-Create the 2 alliance map first. This needs only two people to play thus it is easier to playtest. Feedback on unit stats from an alliance game will still be useful in a free-for-all scenario. Alliance games are also likely to be shorter. Some of the features you want to implement will really really mess up the AI, so you are going to need human games for this one
-Wait to implement the Borg, it sounds complicated
- I wouldn't name every single unit a something cruiser. I'm not familiar with the exacts of Star Trek's naming system but it has got too have more variety than that
- I don't think you need a massive tech tree for this, there is already allot going on in the map with all those resources
-Command is an issue. Right now there is no way to create a penalty for being unable to pay upkeep costs. If I have 0 zero command and my units consume some, nothing happens (I would still have 0). So players can just ignore command costs
-TripleA can have players spend resources to move (fuelCosts), this might be useful for you. Could be used for command or Dilithium
- I have concerns about the Supply/Repair/Science vessels in free-for-all games. Also bear in mind that they would produce that resource regardless of their location, so a player could just make a giant pile as far away from everything as possible and collect a ton of resources. Particularly for a "supply" ship that would be silly
- if you make a unit isAir and carrierCost=0, it can land in any water territory. This is a really cool fun feature I have always wanted to use. You could even restrict its ability to enter land zones, making perform much like a sea unit
- I have actually always wanted to make a map where the primary combat occurs in water territories, because you can do so much more with your unit attachments in sea zones than in land territories (in particular isSub creates so many options). You have many many options to create variety in unit stats, much more than just movement, cost, and power

One final thought, don't make units cost more than 1 type of resource (or do it to a very limited extent). I tried Dragon Age a few times and could never get going. I just don't think that complex purchasing system works all that well in a turn based game.

Hope this helps

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@crazy_german
“Create the 2 alliance map first.”
I have also decided on this

“Wait to implement the Borg, it sounds complicated“
Yes it will be implemented after the other stuff works and is playable.

“I wouldn't name every single unit a something cruiser … got to have more variety than that”
I think I will use cruiser, ship, vessel and so on to categorize the ships abilities. Right now the cruisers have 2 HP. But unit finillization is the least of my worries. Right now I worry about getting this map working.

“I don't think you need a massive tech tree for this”
I don’t plan to have a big tech tree. Most likely just tech purchases with the “science” resource.

“Command is an issue. Right now there is no way to create a penalty for being unable to pay upkeep costs.”
Command is now renamed to “supplies”. And the way I think it could work is by having units cost a “PUs” price + a smaller “Supplies” cost, that would be equal to the same unit's minus-supplies generated each turn. A player would not lose or disband units if he ran low on supplies income, like if he lost planets. It would only affect purchase, and thats fine with me.
As of now I plan on some units need high/med/low/none supplies. But I am not that far into the unit/resource process. I thought about having Über-units (like maybe command cruiser and adv. cruiser) not having a build limit, but instead needing proportionally a lot of supplies, and smaller craft not needing so much supplies, if any.

"TripleA can have players spend resources to move (fuelCosts), this might be useful for you. Could be used for command or Dilithium"
Good idea, but that’s not the plan ATM. I think I will stick to the idea about Dilitium being a currency that can buy other three resources.

“I have concerns about the Supply/Repair/Science vessels in free-for-all games”
I will have to see how and if they can be a sensible and working part of the map. I hope it can be done, but let’s see how it turns out.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

I have a functioning XML now.

Right now I am in the process of figuring out how to link a player’s ownership of a planet’s “invasion/visible/accessible” land territory with the planet’s “inaccessible/background/planet unit containing” land trerritory. As explained above, every planet has two territories, one that can be attacked and captured, and one that just contains a capturable planet unit infrastructure. The polygons of the first territory covers the latter’s territory.

It is the idea that when a player makes an amphibious attack and captures a territory, another background territory containing a resource producing planet also changes hands. It should go like this:

The invasion of an unprotected planet before it begins (The planet unit is neutral. If it was owned by a player, then it would have a glowing color.)

The invasion places the troops on the territory marked orange in the picture above.

The territory is captured, and now it would be great if the planet changed ownership.

My questions that I hope someone can answer:
• Is there a map already out there that has a system or instance where ownership of “territory A” leads to an automatic change of ownership of “territory B”?
• I guess it would be a trigger system, so how would the triggers look like? Should there be one trigger for every 7 players? And that times the 49 planets? (That’s  343 triggers!)
• If the background territory changes ownership somehow, would the planet unit (a capturable infrastructure) change ownership? That’s the point, but would there not actually have to be a unit walking in to capture it?

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
OK. I made some new progress. But still need help. Regarding the ”capture this territory and that territory changes hands also, thereby changing ownership of the planet” project, I have made a trigger system that works, but I have run into a problem. And I cannot figure out what causes the problem. Could someone please look at it at help?

I have added the following to the XML, and the system nearly works as it should.

To get the whole thing working, the end of the XML now has this:
<property name="Give Units By Territory" value ="true" editable="false">
<boolean/>
</property>

All players now have the giveUnitControl option (all players are included in the value, except their own name. “AI” is the original first owner of all planet units before the other players grabs them):
<attatchment name="playerAttatchment" attatchTo="Federation" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.PlayerAttachment" type="player">
<option name="retainCapitalProduceNumber" value="0"/>
<option name="retainCapitalNumber" value="1"/>
<option name="giveUnitControl" value="Dominion:Cardassians:Vulcans:Klingons:Romulans:Borg:AI"/>
</attatchment>

To give planet containing territories the ability to change hands, the territories now have the changeUnitOwners option:
<attatchment name="territoryAttatchment" attatchTo="Planet 01 Place" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TerritoryAttachment" type="territory">
<option name="production" value="0"/>
<option name="changeUnitOwners" value="Federation:Dominion:Cardassians:Vulcans:Klingons:Romulans:Borg:AI"/>
</attatchment>

To give the planet units the ability to change hands, they now all have the canBeGivenByTerritoryTo option (This is the planet Abassi):
<attatchment name="unitAttatchment" attatchTo="Abassi" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.UnitAttachment" type="unitType">
<option name="canBeGivenByTerritoryTo" value="Federation:Dominion:Cardassians:Vulcans:Klingons:Romulans:Borg:AI"/>
<option name="isInfrastructure" value="true"/>
<option name="isConstruction" value="true"/>
<option name="constructionType" value="Planet"/>
<option name="constructionsPerTerrPerTypePerTurn" value="1"/>
<option name="maxConstructionsPerTypePerTerr" value="1"/>
<option name="unitPlacementOnlyAllowedIn" value="Planet 01 Place:Planet 02 Place:Planet 03 Place:Planet 04 Place:Planet 05 Place:Planet 06 Place:Planet 07 Place:Planet 08 Place:Planet 09 Place:Planet 10 Place:Planet 11 Place:Planet 12 Place:Planet 13 Place:Planet 14 Place:Planet 15 Place:Planet 16 Place:Planet 17 Place:Planet 18 Place:Planet 19 Place:Planet 20 Place:Planet 21 Place:Planet 22 Place:Planet 23 Place:Planet 24 Place:Planet 25 Place:Planet 26 Place:Planet 27 Place:Planet 28 Place:Planet 29 Place:Planet 30 Place:Planet 31 Place:Planet 32 Place:Planet 33 Place:Planet 34 Place:Planet 35 Place:Planet 36 Place:Planet 37 Place:Planet 38 Place:Planet 39 Place:Planet 40 Place:Planet 41 Place:Planet 42 Place:Planet 43 Place:Planet 44 Place:Planet 45 Place:Planet 46 Place:Planet 47 Place:Planet 48 Place"/>
<option name="createsResourcesList" value="2:Supplies"/>
<option name="createsResourcesList" value="5:PUs"/>
<option name="createsResourcesList" value="1:Science"/>
<option name="createsResourcesList" value="1:Dilithium"/>
</attatchment>

To trigger the secondary planet territories (Like the “Planet 01 Place”, Where the Primary is just called “Planet 01”) to change hands I have made a trigger system. This is the Federation player trigger that gives the Federation ability to capture “Planet 01” territory, and thereby reciving the “Planet 01 Place” and its random placed planet:
<attatchment name="conditionAttachment_Planet_01_captured_by_Federation" attatchTo="Federation" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.RulesAttachment" type="player">
<option name="directOwnershipTerritories" value="1:Planet 01"/>
</attatchment>
<attatchment name="triggerAttachment_Planet_01_captured_by_Federation" attatchTo="Federation" javaClass="games.strategy.triplea.attatchments.TriggerAttachment" type="player">
<option name="conditions" value="conditionAttachment_Planet_01_captured_by_Federation"/>
<option name="changeOwnership" value="Planet 01 Place:any:Federation:true"/>
<option name="when" value="after:FederationEndTurn"/>
</attatchment>

The problem:
It all seems to work fine, but for some reason, when a player has captured a planet the next player in the row* is somehow triggered to briefly take ownership of the planet unit (not the “Planet XX Place” territory it stands on). The brief ownership change lasts about 1 second and makes the Planet XX Place territory draw the colored striped conflict indicator lines.
*I think the row of PlayerAttechment, witch for Federation is Dominion:Cardassians:Vulcans:Klingons:Romulans:Borg:AI

Whats going on? How can I prevent this ownership conflict?
If someone wants to see and replicate the problem themselves:
• Download the ALPHA stage map here
• Play Federation and leave everyone else as "does nothing" (so the screen does not move around, preventing you from seeing the split second ownership change of the planet)
• Wait for the automatic planet placement to finish.
• In round one, move your Federation ship and man down to “Planet 03” and capture it. (Only 4 planets placement spots have the triggers ATM)

• In round two and all rounds onward, just skip Combat and Non Combat moves, and you will see the brief ownership change of the planet. In the minimap one can see that it is the Unit, not territory, that briefly changes owner.

PS: If needed, turn of “Game/User Notifications/Show End of Turn Report” as it might visually block the planet.
PPS: There is also a long bug report in the background. I think it is related. If one Opens Console after game starts, then there are just errors concerning sound files. But at the exact point where the Federation/You end round 2 by pressing “Non Combat Move – Done – Yes” (that is followed by the unwanted unit owner change) the error adds a whole lot of new errors.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Unless I am missing a feature, you are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

The change owner feature is used to give units to allies usually. If you want a unit to be captured by enemy forces, all you need is isInfrastructure. So unless you have allies taking planets from each other, I don't think you need any of the giveUnitControl or changeUnitOwners.

If you just change a territory owner via trigger, as long the fourth option is true (which it already is in your XML) any infrastructure unit in the territory should get captured

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@crazy_german
LOL  … I think you are right. I tried to set “Give Units By Territory” to false, and it seems to work now. I guess that triggers that changes ownership of land territories is the only thing needed, not any unit changing hands features.

I will remove all the “canBeGivenByTerritory”, “changeUnitOwners” and “giveUnitControl” stuff from the XML as I don’t see it being used (at the moment).

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

RogerCooper
Why use randomized planets? There is an entire website devoted to Star Trek maps. It seems that most of the complexity comes from planets being units not territories.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Greyusurper
Not sure if it'll help, but you can look up the various Civ 4 Star Trek mods.  They include tech trees that might inspire some ideas.

You could also check out AtWar under a guest account.  I'm not sure, but you might be able to play my custom Star Trek map there.  AtWar is like online Risk, though you can play a solo game just to see units and such.  Registering should give you three day prem so you could play it for sure then.  I'm not sure that will help much, but again it might inspire some ideas.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

@RogerCooper
I use units as planets because I want every game to be different by having a new planet layout every time. I have gotten this system to work, so no problem here. The map/game is supposed to be set at a space sector near Deep Space nine. It is not the entire galaxy. I plan to make this clear when players start the game. Nice cartographic Star Trek website btw.

@Greyusurper
I have been looking at a lot of Star Trek mods, but I end up being restricted to work within the possibilities and limitations of the TripleA engine. The tech tree is atm pretty much based on what the engine allows, and has also ended up not being a tree, but just a list for players to choose from. I can just hope for some more developers to devote their lives to TripleA, so that the engine and possibilities can evolve. There seems to be plenty of “idea posts” on the forum.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
I'm not a Star Trek fan (gasp!) but I am looking forward to trying this map due solely to the random planet assingnment. Its a great way to use the engine and my favourite thing about this map design.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@carzy german
Then I think you will be happy to hear that this map is still in the works and has not been abandoned. I would say that it is like 90% done. Today I actually played the map for the first time with two of my friends. It was pretty fun and we played for a couple of hours. The one of my friends who had the hardest time got grumpy and my other friend, who was winning the most, got cocky. My losing friend postulated that his tech roll results and the random planet placement was all against him from start, it was of course not his strategic skills that were poor. Based on this emotional engagement from my friends I would say that the map seems to work.

My friends and I played as three parties against each other; good guys, bad guys and the Borg. It was actually quite fun and everything worked pretty much as I had imagined, even though we spotted a malfunction in the XML code that implements/cancels “ceasefires” (a feature that prevents enemies (except Borg) from attaching a specific player for an entire round).

The map is still hindered buy a few bigger problems though. This is the two major problems at the moment:

• The “sea infrastructure not capturable” problem. The map has a lot of space objects of that are soposed to be captured. (I really hope this will be fixed someday. I don’t know if it would be part of a new TripleA release? It is posted as a bug. http://sourceforge.net/p/triplea/patches/105/)

• The AI cannot play the map as it cannot handle unit shopping with other resourses than PUs. The current AI seems to only shop units that include PUs in the price. This map uses nearly only other resources. PUs are at the moment only used for tech development (It would be nice to have TripleA allow tech development with other recourses).

I still hope call out a BETA testing when the map is more playable. I guess it will be mostly for unit, Price and ballance adjustments.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

amanntai
Could you not implement the capturable space objects as land units on background land territories like the planets? Seems to me to be the easiest fix, just treat the other space objects like the planets but without a capturable land zone, only the "sea" zone around it.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@amanntai
I am considering another workaround. I could make a ton of triggers that, when a single player is occupying the sea zone with the space object, then the object is removed and a new one (owned by the player) is placed.
I would hate to do this as this game bug might be fixed some day. But it might be the only way to get rid of this problem right now.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

crazy_german
Can you post something about what specific bug you are encountering? A long time ago I messed with capturable sea objects and I think I got it to work.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

@crazy german
I already added 5.554 lines of triggers to compensate for this TripleA bug. They seem to work, but I don’t think that these triggers should be the way to go, and if the bug is fixed someday, the triggers can just be removed without any need for any other editing.

But if you already know or can recall a way to let sea infrastructure be capturable, then please share. More info on the bug is found here: http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/Sea-infrastructure-capturable-only-if-combat-in-territory-td7585583.html

If you want to test your potential solution with the map, then here is the latest build (154 MB). But sadly the current AI will not build ships, so the AI is no challenge.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

This map is now so far along that it can be considered open beta.
The latest version of the map is found in the first post.
Sadly, the map is not AI compatible at the moment, so it is only fit for human vs. human testing.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Version is updated. The first version posted as beta had 100 dilithium given to Federation and Dominion from start. This was not intended and were just given for testing. Anyone can just go into the xml and add recourses when testing, that’s ok.
Also, added description of wormholes in the notes.

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Holy hell this map is big (crashed my laptop trying to extract). Can't play it till I'm home to the gaming computer

I did just check and water infrastructure should work perfectly. Just make sure the sea zone begins the game with an owner and has a territory attachment. I'll post more detail if needed

Re: Star Trek: Dilithium War

Frostion
@crazy german
More detail is needed. I thought that I tried out the map with all the relevant  zones having territory attachments and owned by the player AI, and the capture of sea infrastructure did still not happen.

I am away from home and my pc right now and cannot look in my xml. But, ATM there are a buch of triggers removing and re-adding any capturable sea units in the game as I could not get the units to change hands the normal way.

Something else. I added a player step to take place just after every player combat move into a sea zone, just to make the engine play the capture sea zone wave sound effect. In this Srar Trek map it is a space ship leaving warp speed sound effect. This feature should not have any thing to do with or any impact on the above sea infrastructure capture problem,  AFAIK. Just info if you were to look at the xml.
123