Scramble rules nearly complete

STATUS EDITS BELOW

This is just a teaser to all of you map makers out there- I'm probably about 75% complete on the scramble rules.  Here are the game/unit properties that you'll need to know about.

Unit Attachments
canScramble - unit attachment noting which units can scramble
maxScrambleDistance - unit attachment that limits the distance to which a unit can scramble (defaults to 1)

Game Properties - All default to false
Scramble Rules In Effect - Game property controlling all scramble usage
Scrambled Units Return To Base - Game property that forces scrambled units to return to their origin
Scramble To Sea Only - Game property that limits scrambling units TO sea zones only
Scramble From Island Only - Game property that limits scrambling units FROM islands only

Here's the basic status of what's complete:
Limiting of 'from islands' works (I think)
Limiting of 'to sea' works (I think)
Dialogs/unit selection working (locally- haven't tested remotely)
Selected units get added to the battles
NonCombat movement validation works
Linked to air base
Check operational ability of air base
Strategic bombing of air bases

Here's what I still have to do:
Kill abandoned units (refusal to move them in nonCom)
Allow scrambling to non-contested fights (sea zones [both amphib and interdiction], blitzed, etc.)
Probably add a new property to allow ALLIED scrambling (currently limited to the territory defender)
remove air bases from conventional combat - probably via new attachment that'll allow units like bridges to be destroyed in combat - VERY INTERESTING USES
Test Cases
TESTING

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

Pulicat
love love love love

<3

Question: do you plan on it supporting combat air patrols?

puli
how now brown cow?

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

two important questions:

1) What determines something is an ISLAND?  Is there a new Territory Attachment called "isIsland" or called "allowScrambling"?
I think that there Should be a new territory attachment for this.  That would allow the maximum flexibility to map makers to determine what areas should scramble and what areas should not scramble.  This would also save you from having to write any code to determine if something is completely surrounded by sea or not, etc.

2) Has this new ability been linked to a Air Base unit?  Remember that the Air Bases in this game are units, and can be bought and placed in new territories.  Scrambling must detect the presence of an "isAirBase" unit, before it works.
(the current air bases CAN NOT BE USED because they are territory attachments, not units, and they also perform different rules than the new pacific/global1940 rules say.  the old territory attachment air bases actually only give air units movement if they are moving to a sea zone adjacent to the air base, thereby allowing a unit to get anywhere from zero to 2 extra movement depending on their route.  the current naval bases also can not be used for 1940, because they are territory attachments, not units, and they give extra movement only on non-combat movements from one naval base to another naval base)

thanks a ton kev,
I'm drooling with anticipation here,

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

Veqryn wrote
1) What determines something is an ISLAND?
This is already taken care of in the engine without an attachment.  An island is defined as a territory that has only a single neighbor (thus surrounded by it).  That logic could get tricky for territories in the corners of maps, but otherwise, I think it works well.

Veqryn wrote
2) Has this new ability been linked to a Air Base unit?
I should have mentioned that in the completed list- yes, I have created a new unit called Air Base from which the scrambling units must originate.  If the community wants, I could probably create some new properties that allow scrambling from a Naval Base and perhaps something like a Fire Base for sea and land units.   Similarly, code could be added to be able to scramble from carriers.

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

1.  So what about land territories completely surrounded by 1 other land territory?  I really really really think a new territory attachment would be useful.... but if this works I won't complain.

2. I am assuming this is an attachment right?  Nothing depending on the name of a unit, just another unit attachment?  Therefore, you could add it to any unit, unless the unitattachments forbids it.  Does it look like this:?
<option name="isAirBase" value="true"/>

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

Veqryn wrote
1.  So what about land territories completely surrounded by 1 other land territory?  I really really really think a new territory attachment would be useful.
I can see how that might be useful.  You could represent cities, etc...  However, it seems more likely that even a city would/may touch more than one territory as in AAE 1999.

Are there any maps out there that depend on island logic now?  If so, they'd either need to be updated or I'd need to add 2nd game property that tells which logic to use.

Veqryn wrote
2... <option name="isAirBase" value="true"/>
Exactly right.

Add to that:
<option name="maxOperationalDamage" value="3"/>

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

Updates in first post.

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

squid_daddy
are you working on or have completed new strat bombing raid defence?
if not i can take care of this after I do new factories

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

Kev,
How is everything going?

I am curious about your new properties:
isCombatInfrastructure
isInfrastructure
canBeDamaged
maxDamage
unitDamage  <-- was this one from 1.2.5.4 or is this one new? i forget
maxOperationalDamage

i would assume this:
isInfrastructure = does not participate in combat in any way.  if canBeDamaged=true then it can be stratbombed
isCombatInfrastructure = does participate in battles and can be taken casualty.  if canBeDamaged=true then it can also be stratBombed.
canBeDamaged = can be strat bombed.  only works for something that isInfrastructure or isCombatInfrastructure
maxDamage = maximum damage a unit can take total.
unitDamage = current damage the unit has
maxOperationalDamage = maximum damage before the unit stops doing whatever it does.  this could be the max damage before an air base will not be able to scramble airplanes

a few comments:
i think we need the following properties still:
isCapturable = this can can be captured by the enemy.  MUST also be isInfrastructure, otherwise it will be taken casualty instead of captured.  (basically acts just like factories and aa guns for the purpose of this property)
isAbleToDieByBombing = if a unit is stratBombed/rocketted to maxDamage or beyond, it dies and is removed from the game.   This could be combined with anything that isInfrastructure or isCombatInfrastructure

let me know where I can help Kev,

edit: no need to worry about placement, i already finished that with the new property: "isConstruction" which will allow us to place air bases anywhere on the map, among other things.

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

grizzly
Some games have islands that touch more than one sea zone (rising sun)
an isIsland property will probably save someone alot of time later on.

Just my 2 cents...

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

WilfredOwen
I am interested in recreating something like the board game Londons Burning which involved the german attempts to bomb Britian and destroy RAF. This scrambe rule interests me greatly.

Could there be a facility for aircraft to not have to land for several rounds/phases so that a recreation of bomber strategy and fighter defense can be simulated? ie bombers can remain in air for more rounds than fighters so german escort fighters would have less time before returning to base, say bombers 6 rounds, fighters 4 rounds.

Units required/Issues: various bomber and fighter aircraft, radar facilities for interception, aa capabilities, industrial structure or population morale that can be damaged.
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

WilfredOwen
Can an aircraft carrier be deemed "isAirbase" for scramble to take place?
WO

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori:
mors et fugacem persequitur virum
nec parcit inbellis iuventae
poplitibus timidove tergo."

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

erik542
ComradeKev wrote
Veqryn wrote
1) What determines something is an ISLAND?
This is already taken care of in the engine without an attachment.  An island is defined as a territory that has only a single neighbor (thus surrounded by it).  That logic could get tricky for territories in the corners of maps, but otherwise, I think it works well.
By this logic there are no islands in big world. There might be one or two in TRS.

Re: Scramble rules nearly complete

i can screw with what makes an island after it is working
for now, i would just like to see something working