Quantcast

Russian Civil War

alkexr
This post was updated on .
Will the White Army stand firm against the Bolshevik threat, or will the Red Army sweep through all resistance, and establish the Soviet Union? This game offers three large, highly AI-compatible, easy to learn scenarios for 2, 3 or 6 players, made with an interesting gameplay experience before historical accuracy in mind.

Current version: 0.1.1 Beta.

DOWNLOAD 0.1.1 BETA

What do you think needs improving? Let me know your suggestions!

And here are two screenshots from the 2 player version, so that you can get a better idea of the map:

Have you played any of my maps? Share your opinion!
Large Middle Earth
Russian Civil War

Re: Russian Civil War

Navalland
I really like the map but 've taken a error message when I tried to change unit sizes.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (0) must be non-zero
        at java.awt.image.ReplicateScaleFilter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.image.AreaAveragingScaleFilter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Image.getScaledInstance(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.image.UnitImageFactory.getImage(UnitImageFactory.java:133)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.UnitsDrawer.draw(UnitsDrawer.java:94)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.Tile.draw(Tile.java:124)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.Tile.getImage(Tile.java:80)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.BackgroundDrawer.run(MapPanel.java:850)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (0) and height (0) must be non-zero
        at java.awt.image.ReplicateScaleFilter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.image.AreaAveragingScaleFilter.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.Image.getScaledInstance(Unknown Source)
        at games.strategy.triplea.image.UnitImageFactory.getImage(UnitImageFactory.java:133)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.UnitsDrawer.draw(UnitsDrawer.java:94)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.Tile.draw(Tile.java:124)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.screen.Tile.getImage(Tile.java:80)
        at games.strategy.triplea.ui.BackgroundDrawer.run(MapPanel.java:850)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: Russian Civil War

alkexr
Yeah, I've seen this too, but I thought this was an engine bug, and didn't care about it until you posted the same error. Actually, it is caused by the 1x1 pixel invisible factory images. Fixed. Thanks!
Have you played any of my maps? Share your opinion!
Large Middle Earth
Russian Civil War

Re: Russian Civil War

RogerCooper
Why have invisible factories everywhere. Factories are an important part of gameplay, which is lost if you can build everywhere. It is also unrealistic to be able to build anywhere. A notable feature of the Russian Civil War was the way offensives came to a stop when they were too far from their bases. Having normal factories shows that and gives greater importance to the control of key cities.

Re: Russian Civil War

Igor
I play triple a casually against the AI when I'am bored.
I like to play the 2 player map both red and white

So a quick review of the map

Subject:
The Russian civil war is the most perfect and interesting subject to make a map about. The WW1 and 2 maps are starting to get boring imho.

Balance:
I think its balance enough for my casual play style
I like the mass of units at the beginning that just gets mowed down by machine guns as the game progresses the game is pretty much determined at about turn 6-10

Units:
I like how some units (tanks and planes) cannot be replenished and I like the mechanics of Artillery and the Machine Gun units but I really dislike. I dont really like the tachanka and armored train units.

AI:
This map is very AI friendly no seas or anti aircraft trouble like in other maps. Nothing too complicated so the AI can play a basic game.

Overall:
It really sucks that the transiberian railway does not play a part on the map but oh well. I really dislike the Train unit (especially when its operating in northern Siberia) I think it should be taken out of the game at this point. The game is very easy to learn, very enjoyable and highly recommended. This is one of my favorite maps at this point well done for a game still in Beta. It could do with a good topological skin just for the aesthetics.

Re: Russian Civil War

First time I see the concept of machine gun armed chariots. Taking parts in battles fighting from a chariot, using it as a mobile missile platform, had been a technique obsolete since a while...

I guess WWI maps should have machine-gun-battle-chariots as well...

Re: Russian Civil War

alkexr
@RogerCooper

In the RCW both sides conscripted random people wherever they found conscriptable population, sometimes they gave them a gun (sometimes not), and sent them to the battlefield. Weapons weren't really produced, they mostly used up what was left over from the WWI. But in-game, what I was trying to model with "factories everywhere" is the unpredictable and constant change of frontlines.

@Igor

Tachanka and armored train both played an important role in RCW, and I'm not planning to remove them. But their properties (like attack, defense, movement, etc.) are entirely up to debate. If you have a suggestion that would make them better, let me know.

Graphics is not my strength, this is about the best that I can do. Unit images suck, too, not only the map. If you think you can do better, you can contribute.

@Cernel

Yeah, that is a strange concept, but it is historical. History has produced many strange ideas in warfare alone. The tachanka was the mobile, high firepower unit, which became widespread because there was no better alternative. Modern armour wasn't yet a thing, and producing anything high-tech wasn't an option in the virtually nonexistent economy of the RCW. By the end of 1920s it was replaced by better alternatives in the Red Army. I don't know of it being used in WWI, though, at least not significantly.
Have you played any of my maps? Share your opinion!
Large Middle Earth
Russian Civil War

Re: Russian Civil War

RogerCooper
Machine Guns & Horses, remember that this was the Steampunk era.

Re: Russian Civil War

alkexr
@Igor

I forgot to answer to one point: the Trans-Siberian railway.
By the early 20th century, the Russian railway network was highly developed and covered basically all of the Empire except Northern Siberia. Technically there is an easy way of excluding them from those territories, but that's an extra rule which the player has to keep in mind, and which can mess with AI compatibility. And those territories aren't interesting from gameplay perspective anyway.