Rome Total War

Re: Rome Total War

Frostion
I fixed the weird “in the water” unit placements spots in the four territories Melita, Larissa, Athens and Rhodes.

Here is a new place.zip/place.txt file for you to use.

However, I think there may be other territories where units might get placed in a strange location. You can do an ingame edit and place a few units on the different territories, then you can spot where the territory’s first, second, third, fourth, and so on, placement spots looks like.

If you want to fix any placement spots, then edit/open the place.txt, find the territory name… for eksample:
Tanais  (5023,24)  (4959,30)  (5060,88)  (5087,0)  (4895,35)

Then edit the x,y placement spot. Tanais has 5 placement spots. The first is (5023,24) and is where the very first unit that goes into the territory will stand. The last is (4895,35). The last is the one where the black bar goes out of and to the right. This happens when there are more unit types than unit placement spots. In this case if there are 6 unit types.
Most of your units are 48x48 pixels large, so if you want to move a placement spot 1 unit worth of height or width, then try adjusting the x,y approximately 40-50 pixels.

If you want to adjust more placement spots yourself, then you got some work ahead of you

Re: Rome Total War

ice
oh thanks allot!!!

wel this change does allot already, cleans up most cluthered pat of the map nicely

and thanks for telling me how to edit that, im sure i will use this in various cases, and yeah i dont mind the braindead work, part of making these mods :)

i gues these spots got weird after the zoom or something, but sidequestion. when a new map is created is all that done by hand or is there a tool to create these coordinates? if yes, what would happen if i used that tool?

Re: Rome Total War

Frostion
There is a way to edit them in tools. However, for small fixes it is easiest to do it manually in the txt file.
To edit the placement spots in the TripleA maptool you will have to have the original big picture of your map in a black white format. Kind of a skeleton picture like this one (it is from my new map):
MapPolygonReady.png

… but I don’t know if you have your mod’s/map’s original “Map Territory Border Image”? But maybe you can get it here on the forum. You will also need to have the same picture’s / map’s polygon.txt file (tells the game where all the territories’ borders are). You can make that one yourself by running the Map Territory Border Image through TripleA’s map creator tools. And there you can also make/set the centers of all territories. (the centers.txt)

You can find the tools here: ‘Start TripleA’ -> Engine Prefrences -> Run Map Creator
However, before you do all that, I would recommend that you started reading about how you create maps from scratch. Here is what I read when doing my first map. It is written by Veqryn. I think it is a bit old, but you can learn a lot from it:
http://tripleamaps.sourceforge.net/old/readme.html
http://tripleamaps.sourceforge.net/old/doc/map_and_map_skin_making_overview.html

Good luck! Hehe ...

Re: Rome Total War

thx froston ur big help! where have you been hiding ;-)

ok the idea is to update the map before end of the week, so when i go on holliday its hopefully available for download

here are changes i made so far, discussss before its too late :)

HOpefully this is last BIg update, and after this only small ballance changes

changelog v 1.0.4
deleted connection sz 61 --- sz 64
deleted connection sz 53 --- Cydonia
deleted connection sz 71 --- Pergamum
fixed placement spots: Melita, Larissa, Athens, Rhodes (Frostion)
adjusted start income to production (rome +3 gaul +2 greece +4)
changed value of territorys:
Veldidena from 1 to 3
Aemona from 1 to 2
Genua from 4 to 5
Massilia is now GREECE, added units city and fort
Unit setup:
+1 slinger Pergamum (greece)
-1 bireme +1 quinquereme sz 50 (greece)
-1 archer 1- hoplite Corinth (macadonia)
+1 archer Dodona (macadonia)
+1 hoplite Larissa (macadonia)
+1 axeman Jerusalem (egypt)
-1 archer -1 hoplite Edessa (selucia)
+1 onager Persepolis (parthia)
-2 bireme -1 trireme +1 quinquereme sz 32 (cartage)
-1 trireme sz 36 (cartage)
+1 bireme sz 31 (cartage)
+2 cavalry Carthago (cartage)
+1 warelephant Hispatis (cartage)
-1 archer Mediolanum (gaul)
-2 archers Aemona (neutral)
-2 swordman Veldidena (neutral)
+2 axeman Athens (neutral)
-3 cavalry -3 spearman Palmyra (neutral)

Re: Rome Total War

ice
1 more thing, i know people are affraid to use any forums, but seriously, you realise how much better a map can become with many more oppinions on various matters?

for example take NWO, i was there the whole ballance proces, and there where huge discussions all over the place, heck even allot of different versions. in the end all idea's and versions where merged into the NWO you all play today, it wasnt done by 1 person but wit a comunity of people, and imo its the best ballanced product triplea has ever created.

soooo, i know that FFA is off the table for 90% of the players, but cmon guys look at this map, its perfect to make a FFA for. i would love to create it, but not with 0 feedback, and knowing everyone will refuse to play a FFA anyhow.

IF there is any interest in getting a cool FFA with a map that WILL get updated and ballanced, you better start replying and find those other few people who like FFA and get them to post here.

ouch sorry for the rant :P

Re: Rome Total War

Frostion
Yes, It would maybe be great if the development website (this site here) was the same place as where the players hang out. Then info and suggestions would be shared a lot more. But maybe some developers and map makers are afraid that their internal technical/creative debates would be flooded with comments and suggestions? Maybe some developers/map makers like to keep the forums separate?

Well I really don't have an idea about how things would turn out ...
And for the FFA part, I really just play TripleA single player and on LAN with friends. I never play online ... but I guess that online is what ppl do the most?

Re: Rome Total War

ice
no its 99% 1v1

very known that in multis its difficult to get the group back together after a save, so i gues most gave up on multi because it never gets finished

if only people used the forums to set a time and date to continue :) and yeah allot of people are also to competative to play in multis and dont wanna take the chance that they loose because someone isnt as skilled as they are

shame really, there where times where multis where played dayly, and big group of regulars who did show up to continue them, much fun that was (even though i only played in a few:-))

Re: Rome Total War

Cernel
Now, let's not exagerate; 99% seems too much.

I would say:

98% 1v1
1.5% multi 2 sides
0.5% multi 3+ sides (FFA)

Re: Rome Total War

ice
ok v 1.0.4 is now official :

[...]

the request to upload has been posted, most discussion of this new version took place in the lobby, and looked to me like most people where happy with these changes, so lets hope now for a fast upload from our beloved Mapdepot team!

Re: Rome Total War

duller
This post was updated on .
Here are some of Cernel's pictures modified.
Removed the black halo, and added a shirt.

Someone could definitely do better, but let's take advantage of a new version !

Archer without halo, with a shirt

Cavalry without halo

Re: Rome Total War

Cernel
None of the units pictures used in 270BC or RTW has been made by me, and only the Egypt archer has been modestly modified by me.

I agree that either you give everyone the halo or noone; the current RR cavalry is bad, because it doesn't match with the other units (this was actually the reason why I modified the Egypt archer in 270BC).

Aside from a few units made by Hepps, the original mapmaker didn't give credits for the units pictures (a common bad abit in TA).

Re: Rome Total War

duller
Hello,

Here are some new images for more flavour and prettiness.

Increase the size of the axe, becaus the toothpick they used to wield was ridiculous.

Specifically for Athens, pretty spearman and greek slinger.

Roman units whithout shadow and with a shirt for latin decency.

Gaul units, because numidian spearmen suffered from exclusion in Gaul.

Re: Rome Total War

duller
Gaul gets some more goodies.

Re: Rome Total War

ice
they all look amazing!

The problem for me to upload them is simple, i have looked at github and ran away very fast. thats no program for me or something im willing to learn.

So for me the support of any map ends

I give the ok if anyone wants to add them. but im not going to do any more modding of any kind

Re: Rome Total War

duller
Athenian spearman with foot and spear shadow

Same version with seleucid flag (debatable whether it's more suitable than the current greek hoplite, especially since he wouldn't have the same power as the spearman above)

Re: Rome Total War

@ice - If you make changes and post it on the forum here then I can upload it to github.
12