Request for more SOUNDS

EDIT 3:  I need Science Fiction type sounds!

Alright, so I'm adding a lot of sound spots to the engine.
I've also added lots of sounds too, mostly thanks to hepster and myself.

Now, I need people to submit more sounds for these Sound Locations:

battle_aa_hit
battle_aa_miss
battle_air
battle_air_successful
battle_bombard
battle_failure
battle_land
battle_retreat_air
battle_retreat_land
battle_retreat_sea
battle_retreat_submerge
battle_sea_normal
battle_sea_subs
battle_sea_successful
bombing_rocket
bombing_strategic
chat_message
chat_slap
click_button
click_plot
game_start
game_won
phase_move_combat
phase_move_noncombat
phase_purchase
placed_air
placed_infrastructure
placed_land
placed_sea
political_action_failure
political_action_successful
required_action
required_your_turn_series
technology_failure
technology_successful
territory_capture_blitz
territory_capture_capital
territory_capture_land
territory_capture_sea

Here is a zip full empty folders for each of the sounds:
emptySoundFolders.zip

please do not give me duplicates of what i already have

EDIT: here is a list of websites i've found so far with free sounds
http://www.freesound.org/
http://sounddogs.com/

EDIT2:
To get your game to use the new sounds, please include a "sounds.properties" file.  Here is an example file:
sounds.properties

How it works:
Sound.Default.Folder=ww2
This is the "key" that tells the engine which sound folder to use as the DEFAULT sound folder.
The default folders are as follows:
"ww2" (which should cover ww1 - ww2 - ww3 sounds),
"preindustrial" (anything from muskets/cannons (1500) to right before ww1 (1900),
"classical" (the ancient era, anything before cannons became a mainstay (10,000 bce - 1500 ad)
"future" (sci-fi, spaceships, lasers, etc. [currently has no sounds])

After this, you can specify specific sounds if you want, using the "sound key location" (aka: sound map folder).
The sound key location is the exact folder name for a sound you want, located under the "generic" folder.  What I mean by this is that all sound key locations that triplea supports, are the names of all the folders in the "assets/sounds/generic/" folder.
example:
battle_aa_miss=ww2/battle_aa_miss;future/battle_aa_miss/battle_aa_miss_01_ufo_flyby.wav
"battle_aa_miss" is one of the folders under "generic", therefore it is a "sound location key"
We can set this equal to any list of sounds paths, each separated by a semicolon (;).  The engine will pick one at random each time we need to play this sound.
The "sound path" can be a "folder" or a "file".  If it is a folder, we will use all the sounds in that folder.  If it is a file, we will only use that file.  We can use a file and folder and another file and another folder, all together.
Example: "ww2/battle_aa_miss" is the sound path for a folder, so we will use all the sounds in that folder.  "future/battle_aa_miss/battle_aa_miss_01_ufo_flyby.wav" is a specific file, so we will use just this file.  Because we use both of these together, the engine will make a list of all the files in that folder, plus that single file we specified, then it will randomly pick one of this whole list every time it needs to play the "battle_aa_miss" sound.

So, lets say that you want to play 2 sounds, for the "battle_land" sound key.  One of them is located at "tripleainstallfolder/assets/sounds/generic/battle_land_01_angry_drumming_noise.wav".  The other is located at "tripleainstallfolder/assets/sounds/classical/battle_land_02_war_trumpets.wav".  Then the entry would look like this:
battle_land=generic/battle_land_01_angry_drumming_noise.wav;classical/battle_land_02_war_trumpets.wav
If you wanted it to also play every single sound in the "tripleainstallfolder/assets/sounds/ww2/battle_land/" folder, then you would add that folder to path:
battle_land=generic/battle_land_01_angry_drumming_noise.wav;classical/battle_land_02_war_trumpets.wav;ww2/battle_land

Furthermore, we can customize the sound key by adding "_<nationName>" onto the end of it.  So if you want a specific sound for a german land attack, then use:
battle_land_Germans=misc/battle_land/battle_land_Germans_panzers_and_yelling_in_german.wav
You can use nation specific sound keys for almost all sounds, though things like game_start, or chat_message, will never use them.

You do not need to specify every single "sound key".  This is why/because we have the "Sound.Default.Folder".

The logic is as follows:
Engine needs to play the "game_start" sound.
1. Check for a sound.properties file.
2. If none exists, pretend that one exists and that it only contains this line: "Sound.Default.Folder=ww2"
3. Look in the sound.properties file for the specific sound key "game_start"
4. Create a list of all sounds that the key includes.  If no key, then just use all the sounds in "<Sound.Default.Folder>/<sound_key>/"  (which for us would be "ww2/game_start/" folder).
5. If no sounds are found, then use all the sounds located at "generic/<sound_key>/" (which for us would be "generic/game_start").  (if any sounds are found in step 4 above, then we ignore the generic folder completely)
6. Randomize the list's order, then pick one, and play the sound.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

oh and Hepster,

can you pretty please, urgently, find sounds for Napoleonic?

I don't need many, just the main ones for now:

battle_failure
battle_land
battle_sea_normal
game_start
game_won
political_action_successful
territory_capture_land

those are the "main" sounds for the game i think, and any game can get by with just those
so, can you find something cool for napoleonic for me?

thx,
veq

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

alright, edited things a little bit
because of how annoying it is to hear the same sound over and over, i decided to try and find a way to allow for multiple sounds per 'location'
and i got it to work

so, you can now have many sound files for the same sound location
and the engine will just randomly select one

we should probably try to find 3 or more sounds for the 'most played' locations

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

Veqryn wrote
oh and Hepster,

can you pretty please, urgently, find sounds for Napoleonic?

I don't need many, just the main ones for now:

battle_failure
battle_land    Large_Battle.wav
battle_sea_normal    Naval_Battle.wav
game_start
game_won
political_action_successful   Napolean_Diplomacy.wav
territory_capture_land

those are the "main" sounds for the game i think, and any game can get by with just those
so, can you find something cool for napoleonic for me?

thx,
veq
Veq, there you go with what I have put together so far.  Still working away to get some more of the essentials you need done.  Having some issues with converting some file types.  Bear in mind that I am just muddling around here with free software I have no idea how to use.  So please be patient.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

thanks guys,

hepster, all 3 accepted

xero, 2/3rd accepted

fyi: i use audacity, it is open source, for editing sound files
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
Still working Veq.  I actually got some really good sounds.

May be another day just to get them all edited properly.

Sorry to much multitasking.  I'm doing my best to get them to you A.S.A.P.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

if you want you can post the source files, and i can help convert them....

we are ready to go except for the sounds

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
Just trying to get it right is all.

Here are a few more

Start Game  Game_start.wav

Game won  Gamewon.wav

I figure for the terr. capture you can just use the marching sound we've already been using.

Just worlking on the last 2 from your list.  Should be ready in about an hour if I can find a sound of some one yelling retreat.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
Here's the last one I have for you Veq.

Retreating   combatretreat.wav

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

is someone saying retreat in that?

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
Veq I noticed that in Pact of Steel you've added the Old German National anthem as the game start sound.

Is there a way or is it already there to customize each player turn start?

I have got cropped sound bytes for all the nations in T.W.W. and I'd like to be able to add them as the turn start for each player.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

yes, you can customize them by player, by adding "_nationName" to the end of the folder name

Also, i do not think it is necessary to add sound files for TWW

please send me the sound files instead, and I'll add them to the game engine

then all WW2 games can have them, or at least access to them

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
So I just use the nation name as it shows up in the XML?

Also I am adding sounds to the game file because I'm not in love with the presets.  So I would like to customize the sound folders for T.W.W.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

i'm going to seriously change how sounds get chosen,

but in the mean time, I really need a battle_land (fighting) sound for 270BC and Middle Earth (LOTR)

Edit: I've also updated the naming conventions to be as follows:

All sounds should be named like this:

<sound_path_location>_##_<good_description_of_sound>

example:
battle_aa_hit_01_aa_artillery_and_crashing_plane.wav

this includes sounds for your custom maps!

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
So for the time being Veq.  How do I name the player turn start sounds?

Currently in the "required_your_turn_series" folder is a file called...

required_your_turn_series_01

What would each player one look like?

Germany_turn_series_01
Russia_turn_series_01
etc. etc.

I now have all the anthem sounds cropped to 5 seconds.  I want to get them in the folder for my personal testing.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

required_your_turn_series_01_German_anthem_deutchland_1939

or whatever

also, not all sounds can have a specific player attached to them.  things like "slap", and "message", and "click_" and "game_start" will never play a specific player's sound.

required_your_turn_series is also one of the ones that will not play a specific sound by player

this is because what it literally means is: someone else (ie: an AI or another networked player) was playing before you
and now it is your turn, or a phase that you control,
and we need you get back over here from the kitchen or from multitasking and take control of your computer again

this is why the sound never plays during single player (with all humans): because the control never passes to an AI or networked player, so it never "returns" to you

if you are looking for a "start_your_turn" sound, unfortunately TripleA does not have a "start of turn delegate"

so either use the phase_purchase or phase_combat_move sounds for your turn_start sound

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

hepster
So even if I have set up sounds for each nation the game will not draw the specific sound for the appropriate nation at the start of it's turn?

Meaning that if you are playing all the allies and you opponent is playing all of the Axis we will not hear the appropriate anthem to signify the start of that nations turn ( after your opponent finishes his turn)?  Meaning there can only be one generic sound for all nation turn starts?

Clearly this is beyond my capabilities.

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

no, you are misunderstanding what that specific sound is

lets say there is a map with 26 nations (A - Z)

I am playing every nation except for "D", and you are playing just "D"

on my computer, the "required_your_turn_series" will ONLY play, once all of "D" phases are done (ie: at the start of "E" turn).  this sound would only play once per round, because D's phases are only "finished" once per round.

on your computer, the "required_your_turn_series" sounds will ONLY play once per round, when "C" is finished

literally, "required_your_turn_series" means "get your ass back to the computer, because you are needed for something"

that is why I changed the name of it to be "required_" and "turn_series"

now, if you map has purchase phase go first, then combat move, then the "start" of your turn would actually be the purchase phase

so, if you want to have a sound play at the "start" of the nation's turns for "A", "D" and "F", then you would make sound folders for:
"phase_purchase_A"
"phase_purchase_D"
"phase_purchase_F"

does this make sense?

edit: if you want to test this, play "Pact of Steel 2"
I currently have the German anthem playing at the start of the German's turn (and only the germans)
then check and see how i did this

Re: Request for more SOUNDS

Cleisthenis
Can you update the original post with a list of sounds you still need? I came across quite a lot of war sounds for a film project recently and would like to help out with this too.
123