Request for different map listing at the map depot

Request for different map listing at the map depot

sneakingcoward
This post was updated on .
This is to start a discussion, how a useful listing of maps at the depot should look like.
The existing is very frustrating.
Due that i can help now with map reviews, this was one of the first complaints...

specially the last 3, quality maps, other maps and development are sometimes a mixture.
so quality maps and other maps should be listed as USER MAPS (separated by map topic).
all maps that dont meet the requirements for these USER MAPS (not completed yet, may it be functionally, bugs, art, or in terms of basic balance), are in USER MAPS FOR UPDATE.

PLEASE GIVE YOUR COMMENTS ....
also the name of the creator, mail id for suggestions and the date of the last update for which engine version, should be always listed.
if below proposals are accepted i can check the status of the maps in the last 3 categories (quality, other maps, in development) and propose a listing for USER MAPS, or FOR UPDATE.

existing listing:
HIGH QUALITY MAPS
***WW2 MAPS***
QUALITY MAPS
MAP SKINS FOR ABOVE MAPS
ALL OTHER MAPS / EXPERIMENTAL
IN DEVELOPMENT

proposal for the new listing:
***WW2 MAPS***

QUALITY MAPS
Maps here feature good to excellent balance, high replay value, good documentation and good visuals.
Maps failing in any of the above are thus not included here.

MAP SKINS FOR QUALITY MAPS
This section contains Map Skins for any maps in the categories (Quality Maps, WW2 Maps).

******
USER MAPS
Maps that make it into this category are of good general quality, mostly even awesome, only coming short in one or two of the requirements. Balance might need some fine tuning, Game notes might be incomplete, or they simply have to establish fan base at the moment - minor issues like this.

USER MAPS - WW2
... all WW2 maps
USER MAPS - WW1
... all WW1 maps
USER MAPS - HISTORIC
... all historic maps
USER MAPS - FICTIONAL
... all future maps
USER MAPS - FANTASY
... all fantasy maps

******
USER MAPS FOR UPDATE
Located in this section are maps that are a "work in progress". Thus good maps which are in the state of development and thus not completed yet, may it be functionally, bugs, art, or in terms of basic balance.

Re: Post here to request having your map on the Map Repository uploaded or updated

I moved my following comment from another thread:
Would it be possible to make a user rating based system? Like 1-5 stars or with the current clarification system. Of course it should be integrated in the tribleA engine when going to the map downloads. Like every IP adresse can give every map 1 rating,  and if the map changes quality after an update or if the user (IP adresse) canges his/her mind after playing the map a few times, then the user just re-rates and thereby overwriting the old rating.

Maybe this is to hard or impossible to do?

Re: Post here to request having your map on the Map Repository uploaded or updated

eurofabio
Frostion wrote
I moved my following comment from another thread:
Would it be possible to make a user rating based system? Like 1-5 stars or with the current clarification system. Of course it should be integrated in the tribleA engine when going to the map downloads. Like every IP adresse can give every map 1 rating,  and if the map changes quality after an update or if the user (IP adresse) canges his/her mind after playing the map a few times, then the user just re-rates and thereby overwriting the old rating.

Maybe this is to hard or impossible to do?
No, it is not impossible. But just think about:

- the developer would have to spend some time developing something that adds no features to the game itself

- you must have some database somewhere, to keep the rating and the ip's. This kind of stuff costs money

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see many ideas that you guys had developed. But we have to be realistic. We have only 2 developers right now and they do this in their free time.

So to summarise:

- it is a good idea? Yes, it is!

- it is impossible? No, it is not

- will be developed? I don't think so...

Re: Post here to request having your map on the Map Repository uploaded or updated

I actually agree that the current map categories aren't great and could be better. I think sneakingcoward is on the right track. I would take it even a step further and say there should be a set of fields that are applicable to every map:
- Quality
- Setting (WW2, WW1, historic, etc)
- Number of players
- Number of teams
- Can Play Against AI (either yes/no or a rating of say 0-3)
- Size or Game Length (small/medium/large or short/medium/long)
- Ruleset That Its Based On (V1, V2, V3, etc)

The map listing could then be more of a table with each map having these fields and a button to show more info that would bring up the full description. The maps would have a default sort of quality then setting but each column could be sortable. This would probably take a considerable amount of work but wanted to throw the idea out there.

Maybe we first update the categories and review all the existing maps like sneakingcoward described. Then we start to think about reworking the map listing to include more information and be more flexible similar to what I described above.

Thoughts?

Proposal for different map listing at the map depot

sneakingcoward
perfect, but a lot of work.

as you wrote already lets start with a small regroup of the listing...

HIGH QUALITY MAPS, ***WW2 MAPS***, MAP SKINS FOR ABOVE MAPS, are not touched and will stay as they are. Also the description stays the same (only the wording QUALITY MAPS has to be deleted).

the existing QUALITY MAPS, ALL OTHER MAPS, IN DEVELOPMENT are sorted here alphabetically by USER MAPS category.
would this be ok ??

*** User maps ***

*** User maps - WW2 ***
Arnhem
big_world_2
D-Day
D-Day2
Eastern_Front
europe
Global_War
Global_War2
New World Order LebowskiEdition
Pacific_Challenge
Red_Sun_Over_China
Ultimate_World
World_At_War_Variants
WW2 NEW WORLD ORDER
WW2v3_11N
WW2v3_Variants

big_world_variations
Classic_variations
NWO_Variants
pact_of_steel_variations
World War II Revised Variations

*** User maps - WW1 ***
Battle_of_Jutland
Domination_1914_No_Mans_Land
NewWorldOrder1915Lebowski

*** User maps - Historic ***
Age_Of_The_Sturlungs
Ancient Times
CampDavid
ColdWarAsia1948
ColdWar-1965
cold_war
domination
Empire
FeudalJapan
FirstPunicWar
Rome_Total_War
TheGreatNorthernWar
Total_Ancient_War

*** User maps - Fictional ***
Invasion_USA
StarWarsGalacticWar
StarWarsTatooineWar
twilight_imperium
WorldWar2010

*** User maps - Fantasy ***
Battle of Aventurica
Elemental_Forces
FeudalJapanWarlords
Greyhawk
HexGlobe10
Jurassic
Neuschwabenland
Tactics_Campaign
War of the Lance
war_of_the_relics

*** User maps to be updated ***
Atari
Caravan
Game_of_Thrones
Iwo_Jima
pacific
pacific_1942
Stellar_Forces
WW2 Phillipines
Zombieland

Description for *** User maps ***:
Maps that make it into this category are of good general quality, mostly even awesome, only coming short in one or two of the requirements. Maps here must have a decent level of popularity and/or good art and polish. Balance might need some fine tuning, Game notes might be incomplete, or they simply have to establish fan base at the moment - minor issues like this. Feedback highly welcome, if played. Leave feedback at the forums: http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Community or directly at the developer's email.

Description for *** User maps to be updated ***:
Located in this section are maps that are a "work in progress". Thus good maps which are in the state of development and thus not completed yet, may it be functionally, bugs, art, or in terms of basic balance. These maps are usually updated often, so check back. Technically, all maps are still usually getting updates here and there, but maps in this category are usually very new, or the map maker does not consider them to be ready for release.

Re: Proposal for different map listing at the map depot

Prussia
I think "WW2 MAPS" was the triplea work-around for any map that is based on Hasbro board games. Just be careful. 5-year-or-so ago triplea got shut down due to some legal threats from Hasbro.

Re: Proposal for different map listing at the map depot

Prussia
Also, all maps under "quality maps" have been play tested for bug/balance and has reasonable game notes and graphics. It used to be the case that any map not in "quality maps" category either have bugs, have very poor notes or is barely playtested for balance.

Based on your review, what is the current situation?

Re: Post here to request having your map on the Map Repository uploaded or updated

I like redrum's idea the best, but the table would take up a lot of room on the screen (leaving less for the map's description)

Since the map zips can contain multiple game xml's, I'm also not sure what we would do for some of the fields.

For example, "World War II v4" comes with an FFA version, and Napoleonic Empires comes with a 5 player version (instead of 8).  So what would we put for those fields for this singular zip file?

Perhaps a middle ground would be to fill in this information in the maps description.  Then when that is finished, and we are like a month away from a new release (say 4-6 months from now), we can put together a table and see if it looks good.

In any case, it would be good to have a fully standardized map description template.  We could fill the info into an html table, that way it is somewhat compact and orderly.

As far as the order goes (until we have a table anyway), I am open to ideas.
Separating into time periods, then alphabetical order, isn't bad.  But is there anything better?

Re: Request for different map listing at the map depot

The only really needed thing is to split the development section into a proper development section (for maps actually being developed), and another one for abandoned maps. Also specifying clearly that anybody can fully and surely take ownership of these last ones, at any moment.
History plays dice